RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 858.2375 Derby, Ct.

Has anyone ever heard this freq. being used by Derby OEM? I noticed it licensed to them as I was looking up the frequencies used by the Waterford/New London TRS. They share the same frequency.
Bob
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2014, 4:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It is used by Derby OEM when they are in operation. I believe its in their trailer and they have a few portables. I've heard them use it a couple times but nothing recent.
Old 07-30-2014, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok thanks for that info Joe. Yes I saw that trailer a couple of times at the Wallingford hamfest!
Old 07-31-2014, 8:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That frequency was licensed when the former director of OEM ( Vinny Vizzo ) was there a few years ago before his passing. ( Silent Key KB1PFO ) It is a Motorola repeater housed at the Hotchkiss Hose firehouse on David Humphrey road and the antenna is on their tower right at the firehouse. The trailer Izzy made reference to, is privately owned. It is a mobile communications trailer in every sense of the word. I have not been part of Derby OEM for a while now so I don't know exactly how often the trailer or the frequencies are used. The portables we used when the repeater was first set up were Motorola MT2000s I believe.The first picture is of Vinny, the former Director of OEM and the second is of the trailer, which at one point was affiliated with a local Amateur radio club. The last picture gives you a preview of the inside of the trailer. The man pictured inside is the owner Chris Burns, W1HVN, an EXCELLENT person in every sense of the word. Can't say enough good things about him. He is responsible for ALL the work and installs done on the trailer, and responsible for most of the work related to the 800 MHz repeater. This picture does not do the trailer justice!

Manny
Attached Images

Last edited by N1SQB; 07-31-2014 at 9:49 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks Manny. Yes that is the one I witnessed a while back. I was even able to walk in it. I remember seeing Vinny somewhere- maybe outside at the trailer or inside the building.
Sorry to hear he is a SK
Bob
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2014, 9:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro106import View Post
Thanks Manny. Yes that is the one I witnessed a while back. I was even able to walk in it. I remember seeing Vinny somewhere- maybe outside at the trailer or inside the building.
Sorry to hear he is a SK
Bob
Thanks Bob! Yeah, Vinny had a real vision for the department. He incorporated both Hams and non-Hams alike into the OEM environment. In his eyes, everyone was useful for something! After he passed, the new director did NOT share the same ideas. That's where I got off the train! ....

Manny
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
The last picture gives you a preview of the inside of the trailer. The man pictured inside is the owner Chris Burns, W1HVN, an EXCELLENT person in every sense of the word. Can't say enough good things about him. He is responsible for ALL the work and installs done on the trailer, and responsible for most of the work related to the 800 MHz repeater. This picture does not do the trailer justice!

Manny
Yes I met Chris at the Coast Guard open house a couple of years ago. He was manning the trailer exactly as he is in that photo!
Very nice gentleman for sure.
Bob