New Haven Fire Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just out of pure curiosity, how does NHFD dispatch their fire calls? What I mean is by the time they come over channel 1, the dispatcher usually says for example "emergency 1 RESPONDING to a medical...."
Not emergency 1 RESPOND to.....So do they notify the individual companies to respond using some other method? Just curious.

Manny

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Just out of pure curiosity, how does NHFD dispatch their fire calls? What I mean is by the time they come over channel 1, the dispatcher usually says for example "emergency 1 RESPONDING to a medical...."
Not emergency 1 RESPOND to.....So do they notify the individual companies to respond using some other method? Just curious.

Manny
Im willing to bet that that get alerted over a intercom system in each firehouse then they repeat it over the radio. Im not positive this is how its done but it makes sense.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Could be...

Makes sense, I am just curious because of the way they dispatch the calls, it comes off as if it's a secondary notification not a primary dispatch.

Manny

APX7500X2

Manny

Zetron FSA much like Bridgeport and Waterbury, Milford uses loqution FSA

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I know some departments have a system that lets them notify the station before the "dispatch" comes over the radio. Danbury for instance had a pager system. Hunters would call the base before putting it over the air (obviously useless if the rig was on the road). I'm willing to bet that for in house stuff there is a system however as noted that system is useless if the rig is out on the road. and if memory serves me correct some departments actually have a system that not only alerts the firehouse but even turns on the lights on overnights if a call comes in.

N1GTL

Database Admin
In house first dispatch goes over Zetron. Once units sign on the call is repeated over the air.

leadjammer

Remember the TV Show Emergency back in the 70's. When the buzzer went off at night the station's interior lighting went on.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
They also use a similar buzzer on the tv show Nightwatch with the folks from New Orleanns when they receive a call.

Manny

Nightwatch (EMS division) Uses a sound byte on the MDT to alert the crew when a call gets posted for them.
Love the throw back to Emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nightwatch (EMS division) Uses a sound byte on the MDT to alert the crew when a call gets posted for them.
Love the throw back to Emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first heard it I thought I was hearing things! LOL.. Love that show.

Manny

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
When I first heard it I thought I was hearing things! LOL.. Love that show.

Manny

That show rocked and have it on dvd, now you watch it and see how fake the fire really was unlike when they make movies today like backdrafy and ladder 49. Its so realistic

leadjammer

Yea, but for its time it was a great show, incredibly real and factual. Right down to the responding units and the street names. R.A. Cinader was an incredible producer. Station 127 in Carson. CA (where all the exterior shots for Emergency was filmed) is now named after him. Does anyone know that the driver of Engine 51 in that show Mike Stoker was a real L.A County firefighter and they used his real name in the show.. Even the dispatcher who we heard over the radio and saw in the final season was an actual L.A. County Dispatcher. No one had ever heard of Paramedics before Emergency came along.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I would love to be in the station when New Haven FD dispatch sends out the initial call. Just for curiosity.

Manny

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
It's nothing special, they throw a hi/low tone for EMS runs and solid tones for fire / Mva / hazmat runs. I think the number of solid tones sent out are associated by the type of run.

I'll see if I can find out more how they do it, I thinks it's changed somewhat since I was last in the firehouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MrAntiDigital

Referring back to the TV Show "Emergency". It was that show that first introduced the public here in Connecticut to a new term called, "Paramedic", along with "EMT".. Most city fire departments were really too busy fighting fires in dumpsters, cars, and buildings, to have time to chase medical calls.

But over the years, after these very busy years of heavy fire activity, it became more and more obvious that the fire departments get involved with responding to these types of incidents.

But it was that TV Show Emergency that first introduced many fire departments here in Ct., into responding to what the vast majority of calls for local fire departments are today.

JimmyMac

Premium Subscriber
In the two houses that Emergency Units are in they get their alarms via station alert' but' between 10pm and 7am communications rings the dept. phone in their room to give them an EMS run.
I'm not sure if that is still in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.