RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum

Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Multistate DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Correct. They are not leased.

Instead of retyping stuff, this was posted in another fourm so some might not apply here, but its a general overview:

I skipped most of the responses above, but here is the deal.

CSP issues the CVPI's with removable lightbars to all road troopers with the rank of M/Sgt and below. The current configuration is:

Standard Whelen Liberty (with quick disconnect) with the LED backlit "STATE POLICE" sign that turns on with the cruise lights
Whelen Cencom
Pair or rear deck lights
2150 HLF
Motorola ASTRO Spectra W4 or APX7500 mobile radio (700/800MHz enabled only)
Havis Console
Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 or newer
Intergrated GPS/Data antenna antenna
Push bumper

LT's and above will get a CVPI that with the street appearence package or standard without the spot light or computer setup unless position requires it. Usually these may or may not have deck lights. All cars ordered in the last few years are silver. Some blue and other colors are still around, but not much longer. Other higher ranks bosses will have other types of vehicles as required/needed.

Prior to this blue, sliver, brown, grey, maroon and everything in between was ordered depending on pricing. Cars were ordered without AM/FM radios until about 1991? when that option actually costed more money then having one.

Previous bars were Whelen diagnostic 9000s using the PCDS-9 controllers. Prior to that they had some of the first generation Edge 9000's and specific to CSP (AFAIK) flashed in/out (all corners then all inner strobes). They also experimented with 9000's with the internal T/A but never caught on with the masses at the time. My former Capt pushed for them, but the major didn't want them to look like "tow trucks". The same capt also wanted MX7000's installed at Troop F to try to get better pricing from Whelen by showing them they had competior. That didn't happen either.

CSP troopers by contract are able to take the cars home and use them for resonable personal use and can take them out of state with geographical limitations in NY, MA, RI. All cars can be GPS tracked reguardless if the MDT is on or not. Also stipuated is that they are required respond to all emergencies in the state and stop for accidents, willful law violations etc if in the vehicle off duty (or at least inform the responsible area troop if unable to stop). All plates are standard (but grouped) passenger plates. Troopers area actually on duty 30mins prior to the "shift starting" and 30mins afterwards. This is usually referred to as GP or General patrol when they are on their way home...ie "don't send me to anything unless really nessesary".

Troopers are allowed to add on extra lights/equipment as long as it does not interface or interfere with the departments equipment (specifics are in the general orders). When Arthur Spada was the commssioner, he was all about visiability and reqiured on duty troopers to have little metal blue plates attached to the trunks that said "State Trooper". When he left, the plates were thrown away by everyone. No one liked it.

Each troop in the early 2000's were given white marked "Community Policing" vehicles. Most sported the usual light package, some have the rear Fastrax lightbar. This lettering style became standard for the specialized units vehicle trucks/command post, etc. The only cars still in everyday use is at Troop H (aka Troop W at the airport) being used by the last couple of Aiport Police Officers. One CVPI and an Expedition. Troop F has/had a Fastrax car and I think the rest have been retired but a couple might be around. Auxillary troopers where usually assigned to them or if a trooper was being a screw up, the Sgt or Troop CO might have that trooper drive it on their shift as punishment.

Thats the quick unedited skinny.
Old 08-04-2012, 9:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

actually pretty sad. The white 2000's have been popping up at the auctions at weathsfield last few months. barely any mileage (most below 60,000) and selling at like $1200.00. As the taxi companies aren't really going for them either, the cars are going below 4 grand too. When I was FT EMS, I actually bought a few from the state and loved them. About a year ago, I bought a city car and it's been nothing but a money pit. I was looking at the expeditions but they were so high mileage and beat it wasn't funny (I was using an SUV when I retired and they could take a beating just as the CVPI's could). I was looking at the chargers as well as the caprices but not sure. As per an experience with an older taurus, I wouldn't touch a taurus with a ten foot pole as I think they are all pieces of crap. The cars are nice, ride nice too. Interchangability is a good thing also and my garage (as mta can attest) has the contract with several departments and knows the car inside and out. And no, (mta can also attest to this) my car is not all tricked out with lights, etc. When I was first in EMS I did put lights in them but that wore off really quick. As my instructor told me from the get go, I would quickly lose the "spark" which I did. The EMT plates came off and I went as low key as possible. I did stop for stuff but it was different not feeling obligated.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

State cruisers where generally in better shape due to being assigned cars so more people treated them better. City cars are never a good buy unless you know it was a take home car. Either way it's a gamble from the engi e being cold started then traveling at 90mph in no time.
Old 08-05-2012, 7:25 AM

Has the State chosen a replacement for the Crown Vic?
Old 08-05-2012, 8:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalBill View Post
Has the State chosen a replacement for the Crown Vic?
Thats a good question,I wonder how it will be seeing State Police driving around in non-Crown Vic vehicles.

Last edited by Rt169Radio; 08-05-2012 at 8:26 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2012, 9:22 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

Last I heard it will be the Ford Police Interceptor Sedan...
http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

The caprice is/was also being tested.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Granby has the new police interceptor SUV. Sorry, but I like the crown victoria police interceptor.

Jacob

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CT state cruisers

I have a few observations:

If allowing troopers to take home cruisers is such an efficient idea, why don't other states follow suit?

Seems to me the take-home cruiser concept is a long held union perk, and is equivalent to troopers earning thousands of dollars a year more on top of their salary. How many people get a full-use company car with their job?

I seriously doubt - but don't have hard evidence - that off duty troopers care about most infractions they witness, That'd be inconvenient with the family and the kids on the car.

As far as light bars: the crown vics have wig-wag headlights, sirens and deck strobes, so the roof bars aren't a necessity anyway.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

Other states and many towns/cities/counties nationwide allow the option of take home vehicles with various policies concerning off duty use and requirements.

Lightbars on vehicles help with 360 degree warning/dangerous intersections. Also it gets the warning above the roofline so that traffic can see the vehicles. Complete interior lights and lights placed below windshield line cannot always or in effectively accomplish the goal.

As for take home in general, departments that do this have found vehicles are in service longer, requires less matience and are taken care of better. Those who sale or repurposes vehicles find a better long term resale/reuse value overall.

If your essentially living out of your vehicle, you'll keep it cleaner and treat it better than say a pool car in Hartford where you essentially don't care about how many times you hit potholes or use it for other I intended purposes.

As for "don't care" about seeing infractions off duty, many troopers have made uncompasated "ie they don't get overtime" traffic stops and do stop for accidents and disabled vehicles. Many times the public have called into a troop with a troopers plate complaining they didn't stop. However as long as they call it into the troop due to having family etc in the car, they are relieved from stopping unless it is a serious incident and a judgement call can be made.

I do know of a trooper that have his own mother a ticket. True story.
Old 08-06-2012, 4:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by millrad View Post
Seems to me the take-home cruiser concept is a long held union perk, and is equivalent to troopers earning thousands of dollars a year more on top of their salary. How many people get a full-use company car with their job?

I seriously doubt - but don't have hard evidence - that off duty troopers care about most infractions they witness, That'd be inconvenient with the family and the kids on the car.
It is certainly a nice perk, bargained for and continued instead of increased wages and other benefits. As far as enforcement with civilians in the vehicle, It's not permitted. I have witnessed and heard off duty troopers getting involved in things almost daily. Just monitor any of the troops.
Old 08-06-2012, 5:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetnymedic View Post
actually pretty sad. The white 2000's have been popping up at the auctions at weathsfield last few months. barely any mileage (most below 60,000) and selling at like $1200.00. As the taxi companies aren't really going for them either, the cars are going below 4 grand too. When I was FT EMS, I actually bought a few from the state and loved them. About a year ago, I bought a city car and it's been nothing but a money pit.
The CSP cars are some of the best buys out there. I had. 2001 CV sure it could use a paint job, but I used it for 45,000 miles with minimal repairs. I did remove the spotlight, add a Crome grill, and tint all the windows. One problem was getting stopped regularly by troopers who had several incidents of people impersonating police officers. Otherwise it was a nice ride, and sold for almost what I bought it for.

My next one might be a Florida SUV but they are buying 2WD only these days.
Old 08-07-2012, 5:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

whats the deal with all the CSP malibu's? they're usually black, very unmarked/stealthy....
they are a different license plate set than the cruisers, have only dash/deck strobes and are very clean/shiny...
Just wondering who drives those... commanders or special groups?
are they going to replace cruisers?
Yeasu VX-170/ Moto Minitor IV/ RS Pro-99...
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

dave, Online Unmarked Police Cars Cop Cars Online Undercover Cop Cars for Sale friend of appi's from new haven. guy goes thru his stuff end to end. i've got a couple of other places too and gsa usually puts out the fed stuff and you wouldn't believe some of the cars they have and trust me i am not talking cvpi's either
Old 08-08-2012, 8:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Correction. I meant chevy impalas not malibus
Yeasu VX-170/ Moto Minitor IV/ RS Pro-99...
Old 08-08-2012, 3:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

you sure those are state pd and not the state atty investigators?
Old 08-08-2012, 4:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

PJH and MTA, one or both of you may know what and who's this is. I do. Was it recently here or no? I do know they use it or similiar all over the US. I saw an earlier version working NY back in the day. I will say this also. Apparently they don't always use their own either. When I was in Westchester County, Our Volunteer Rig was called and told to station somewhere. In addition, When I worked another service there that services rig was stationed also. I think it depends on numerous things. I know when the VAC stationed it was only the officers that were assigned. Probably for security reasons but who knows.
Attached Images

Last edited by joetnymedic; 08-08-2012 at 4:24 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 8:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Isn't that a Secret Service vehicle?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It is Secret Service, they were up here the other day for the presidential visit.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

That my friend is the commander in chiefs ambulance staffed by medics/hazmat/wmd techs Matt have you seen the back up? I actually like that better than this one. I'm going thru old pics to find one from back in the day
Old 08-13-2012, 8:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have Joe, they were in full force during the visit last week. I agree with you on the preference.