Field day 2013!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3QRM

CQ ARRL Field Day anybody?

What bands and modes are you operating? Club or individual station? Size and location of your site?
I am operating 6 metres phone as part of the S.P.R.A.R.C. and B.C.R.C. clubs' 5 alpha using callsign VE3OW. Located at the Tecumseh Fire Station 2 just outside of Windsor Ontario. Hoping for improvement on 6 after last year's 35 contacts.....some propagation is better than none. Somthing new this year the local Salvation Army emergency services personnel providing food on site.
Stay cool, dry, bug bite and lightning strike free....enjoy. 73.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
CQ ARRL Field Day anybody?

Falmouth Amateur Radio Association (FARA) K1RK and W1HQH (GOTA)
Located at Barnstable County Fairgrounds, Cape Cod, MA

My two shifts will be my first time at FD, on 15 and 20 meters phone, Saturday afternoon btwn 2:00-3:00 and 4:00-5:00pm.

Enjoy your weekend!

73 de KC2LMH

KB1UAM

Where will you guys/gals be working this weekend???? I will be at the Freetown state forest in southeast Massachusetts.

cellblock776

I'm making stops at 3 different sites this year. I am a member of several clubs and like to go around, spend a few hours at each site meeting people and checking out the setups. Don't plan on operating much at all.
I will be dropping in on
The Baton Rouge ARC in Baton Rouge, La
The Ascension ARC in Gonzales, La
and The Livingston ARC in Denham Springs, La.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys (and gals, too, I hope),

I'll be at the Barnstable County fairgrounds in Falmouth, MA on Cape Cod with the Falmouth Amateur Radio Association (FARA).

Call signs are: K1RK and the GOTA tent is W1HQH.

See you on the radio, as Charles Osgood says!

Jim

trace1

As the Public Information Officer for the Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association in Anniston, AL I did this little piece on a local TV station's 9PM News last night (6/202013) about our Field Day event. TV 24 Video Player

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This will be my first time participating in Field Day. Going to visit with the STARS (Suburban Technical Amateur Radio Service) club at the Hawk Hallow Grove inside Messenger Woods Forest Preserve in Homer Glen Illinois.

Not sure how much operating I'll be doing, but I sure am looking forward to all that FD has to offer.

:)

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
My first field day as well. Going to be present for about 20+ hours of the event. I will be with SARA(Schenectady Amateur Radio Association) under the call of K2AE. 5 alpha. We actually will be partially operating out of the Counties emmcomm mobile unit. Not sure what exactly I will be operating and what times but I hope to catch some of you on the air! I will have my phone on me with tapatalk so anyone, feel free to give me a shout in PM on here.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
As the Public Information Officer for the Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association in Anniston, AL I did this little piece on a local TV station's 9PM News last night (6/202013) about our Field Day event. TV 24 Video Player

Very nice! All we did was send out some press releases and invitations but hopefully more next year! I am a new ham(licensed February this year) but am pretty active. I actually took the ARRL PIO course a couple months ago. Pretty neat course with a ton of info.

Tommahawk

Group of us operating under the callsign W3AD at the Lancaster Transmitting Society site Grid Square FN10, either 2A or 3A EPA. Have capabilities to work anything below 33cm.

Besides contesting what else do you do besides eat and chit chat? In our club we are having a night hike which will probably last 1 to 2 hours led by K3MIX. As well as maybe a little bit of 'tom foolery' type stuff going on. Its hard to tell what might happen at our events.

Quite honestly most of us go there for the camaraderie with friends and enthusiasts. Our location is off the beaten path so we can make us much noise as we like. Sometimes a light show will take place at night, or appliances get blown up, either way its always a great time. "Geeks with guns" is a phrase that can sometimes be associated with members of our club. If you don't leave with a smile on your face then you aren't having fun!

As long as the internet holds up you can view us online at http://www.lrts.org

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Our FD site was mentioned in last week's paper; the Falmouth Enterprise, which surprised me.

Let's see how the GOTA tent does!

VA3QRM

VE3OW day one

Disconnected antennas at field day site as storms were obviously imminent. Luckily power supplies were as well as equipment was hustled into vehicles and the fire hall itself. Two gentleman rode it out...."Wizard of Oz" style in the 40 metre tent. Squall line caused some tent / shelter collapses and damages. Leg of one dipole fell down. 15 metre tent destroyed and 6 metre enclosure attached to pop-up trailer damaged. Neither the 10 metre ( 27 foot tower ) or 6 metre ( 25 foot mast mounted ) beams down. Relocated 6 metre station to the front seat of my van. Somehow picked up S7 noise level across the entire band...beam turned 360 degrees still there..FM vertical on van...no noise. Everyone else; except for 15 metre operator who also had power out and basement flooding at home and snapped fiberglass tent poles, are back up and running. Will check things out once daylight and hopefully some propagation return. Having fun...

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

No field day this year for me. With 25 SOLE declared, we have been busy staffing the Provincial Operations Centre in Edmonton. Had planned to operate a portable station with some friends but cancelled it on Thursday.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As kayn1n32008 has stated, a lot of Field Days were cancelled at least in Southern Alberta. Tongue in cheek has it that the Foothills Amateur Radio Society Field Days started early on Thursday afternoon when amateur radio operators were quickly pressed into service. Points out that one has to be prepared for any day of any year. Not just for Field Day.

VA3QRM

best of luck...

How did you do there after the storms?

Did well after the storm. Minor damage and compared to my Alberta friends and hams in "tornado alley" who faced real disaster we have no complaints. Best of luck to all facing adversity beyond no E-skip on 6, burnt burgers and some sunburn. There's always next Field Day.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Did well after the storm. Minor damage and compared to my Alberta friends and hams in "tornado alley" who faced real disaster we have no complaints. Best of luck to all facing adversity beyond no E-skip on 6, burnt burgers and some sunburn. There's always next Field Day.

Glad to hear that all was ok.

We had sunny skies and seventies here on Cape Cod!

Status
Not open for further replies.