MSCOMMNET-Maine DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost_in_maine

I have a legitimate question about the data for MSCOMMNET...
While it is not up and running yet, testing continues...and sites have been added etc..
But why are all the conventional sites mixed in with the P25 Trunk Sites?
about 50% of the info there is all obselete....
So people just keep submitting stuff...but the old info is still there...???

I've posted about this in the Maine forum, several time, and the Maine DB admin has never replied,
nobody is editing what people are downloading daily, and what is there mostly, are sites that were never approved for licensing...
I hear testing everyday, and I posted the link with the most up to date info to Scan-New England's Wiki, in the Maine Forum a few days ago
MSCOMMNET Maine State Communications Network - Scan New England Wiki

There is too many sites for one person to submit, and without starting from scratch, all info submitted is a waste of time

lost_in_maine

Somebody to sit down and put together a proper database submission.
Mike, We have the data all set at the link in my original post in the thread that are known and licensed frequencies..
Wouldn't this be the responsibility of a DB Admin? who is ME343
So If I make a submission with just the link with the most up to date info, would that be acceptable?

It is just too much to paste into a submission field..I know that ME343 is also on Scan-NE, and knows about the data...

Last year several members offered, including myself to take over as a Admin, but it went no where..
I even emailed Lindsay about it, Wayne and a few others...

*This is the data in question http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6703

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Here's the problem, RadioReference does not like to "lift" information from other websites.

Most admins will reject your submission for that reason.

DB Admins work submissions, not links from other sites. Some will keep an eye on threads and add information that has been posted in the thread but not all have the time to do that.

I checked the system and so far there are only two submissions for it from the same individual that haven't been worked yet. I can probably get to those today or tomorrow.

So in a nutshell, unless people start submitting information for the system, it will never be updated. You'll have to do your own programming.

As for becoming an Admin, you need to PM or email wa8pyr. Lindsay would probably refer you to him since he is the Database Manager. Wayne is the Forums Manager and has nothing to do with the database.

kd1sq

Database Admin
MSCOMMNET

(Excellent! Tom just alerted me to this very recently started complaint thread. This is what I propose to put on the ME forum dealing with MSCOMMNET.... Your thoughts are appreciated.)

Okay, here we go -

Maine is a big state, MSCOMMNET is all over it, as someone said it's way to big for any one (or even dozen) individuals to be able to profile it properly.

Right now most of MSCOMMNET's activity is that the sites have the control channels up and running, glitches are being ironed out and 100% (AFAIK) of any TG activity has been purely technicians working on the systems. This makes for sparse copy.

The information we have on RR is of questionable accuracy and relevance.

SCAN-NE does have a very active membership that's doing a fair job of keeping their data reasonably up to date in this particular matter. RR thus far not so much.

Right, I for one, do NOT like the idea of lifting data from other sources. And to its credit, RR doesn't either.

This is what I propose doing -

1. Wipe the wiki entry.

2. Wipe what we have in the database.

3. (And getting people to do this is going to be the tough part) We start getting out there in our various areas and we practice the old fashioned and oft not used skills of listening, decoding, logging and reporting what we actually hear on the posited MSCOMMNET frequencies for our areas. Not lift data from elsewhere, not blindly cut and paste from the FCC database - listen, categorize, confirm what we are hearing and start rebuilding the wiki and database!

- I can get (and have) some basic data on the sites in the Saint John Valley, New Sweden, places like that that I can hear. Some of you can get a few sites as well - you'll also need something like Unitrunker or Pro96Com to get the lowdown on what the control channel is sending, what site affiliations exist, etc.

So, summarizing -

Back to square one

We do some work - log what's real, not plagiarized or blindly imported

Accept that data will be sparse for a little while (until the users actually start using it) but also know that the data we have is accurate!

Your thoughts, gentlemen? It depends on all of us, you know - it's only going to be as good as what you put into it...

Last edited:

lost_in_maine

(Excellent! Tom just alerted me to this very recently started complaint thread. This is what I propose to put on the ME forum dealing with MSCOMMNET.... Your thoughts are appreciated.)
This is what I propose doing -
1. Wipe the wiki entry.
2. Wipe what we have in the database.
3. (And getting people to do this is going to be the tough part) We start getting out there in our various areas and we practice the old fashioned and oft not used skills of listening, decoding, logging and reporting what we actually hear on the posited MSCOMMNET frequencies for our areas. Not lift data from elsewhere, not blindly cut and paste from the FCC database - listen, categorize, confirm what we are hearing and start rebuilding the wiki and database!
So, summarizing -

Back to square one
We do some work - log what's real, not plagiarized or blindly imported

My Thoughts, Exactly...Great Ideas, and will be willing to submit what I been logging...
As of now, we don't really have any talkgroups that will be used in real-time use, just the Technicians that we been hearing during the testing phase...
During My recent monitoring of the system, and now with the break finally in the weather, We should start hearing more, Right now they are trying to workout a few dead spots, and other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.