Canadian Nationwide link goes to United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

VE3RADIO

Maybe this explains why when I turn on Canada wide in the home patrol or any database scanner I get all sorts of US crap that is nowhere near me.

ecps92

I did and was directed to post it :(

What was said in a Reply to my Submission was

"Perhaps this is an issue with those who do not have premium membership.
I cannot duplicate what you are seeing.
I think I would point this out in the forums rather than here in the submissions page. "

You may want to submit that so a moderator can fix it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I did and was directed to post it :(

What was said in a Reply to my Submission was

"Perhaps this is an issue with those who do not have premium membership.
I cannot duplicate what you are seeing.
I think I would point this out in the forums rather than here in the submissions page. "

I can duplicate this behavior. However, a DB admin is unlikely to be able to fix it.

The problem occurs when the user is logged out of the RR system (not the forums - the link at the very top of the page). When logged in, it goes to what I presume is the user's home country (for me, Canada). When logged out (the top bar will say "LOGIN - MOBILE - HELP"), the entry with the blank coid value will go to the default country, which is United States.

However, IIRC, that part of the database page (on each province/state) is not something a DB admin can affect. It's part of the website code itself, which means either Lindsay or another site admin (if such exists in the hierarchy) could deal with.

Maybe this explains why when I turn on Canada wide in the home patrol or any database scanner I get all sorts of US crap that is nowhere near me.

No, that has nothing to do with it. The Nationwide systems have huge location & range data, and your location probably lands within one or more areas on those files. You just need to "Select Nationwide Systems" and turn off the ones you don't want to hear. Keep in mind that in Canada we're "in between" two parts of the US (CONUS and Alaska), so their nationwide range circles or rectangles may overlap a lot of our land mass.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
This will have to be a Lindsay fix as it's a website issue not a database issue.

VE3RADIO

I can duplicate this behavior. However, a DB admin is unlikely to be able to fix it.

The problem occurs when the user is logged out of the RR system (not the forums - the link at the very top of the page). When logged in, it goes to what I presume is the user's home country (for me, Canada). When logged out (the top bar will say "LOGIN - MOBILE - HELP"), the entry with the blank coid value will go to the default country, which is United States.

However, IIRC, that part of the database page (on each province/state) is not something a DB admin can affect. It's part of the website code itself, which means either Lindsay or another site admin (if such exists in the hierarchy) could deal with.

No, that has nothing to do with it. The Nationwide systems have huge location & range data, and your location probably lands within one or more areas on those files. You just need to "Select Nationwide Systems" and turn off the ones you don't want to hear. Keep in mind that in Canada we're "in between" two parts of the US (CONUS and Alaska), so their nationwide range circles or rectangles may overlap a lot of our land mass.

Yeah I can understand that.. what blows my mind is that HP line loads up the NYC Transit system for me when I live in Ontario.. I know I can see NY State from my roof.. but that is Buffalo.. not NYC.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Off topic for the thread, but...

Yeah I can understand that.. what blows my mind is that HP line loads up the NYC Transit system for me when I live in Ontario.. I know I can see NY State from my roof.. but that is Buffalo.. not NYC.

I can see several systems in NYC that have radius circles of 215 miles which might be impacting you in ON, but none of them say Transit nor NYC. There's also some with 195 miles or 275 miles (!):

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NY State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Office of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Common/Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Department of Transportation Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Medevac Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Thruway Authority Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

NYS Miscellaneous Agencies Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG) Trunking System, Statewide, New York - Scanner Frequencies

NYCOMCO EDACS (Dutchess, Orange, Ulster Public Safety) Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies

215 miles appears to be the most appropriate range circle for covering the entire state of New York - you can't cover it all if you don't go out that far. Unfortunately, you do include a chunk of Ontario in that circle, and that can't be avoided with the 'range circle' method. I have similar problems getting British Columbia sites turning on if I drive close to the AB/BC border. I just lock out the sites I don't want to hear and move on with my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.