Encrypted, or not encrypted? That is the question...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

There are rumors that Whistler may offer a scanner next year capable of decoding unencrypted DMR, NXDN and other non-P25 digital formats. Perhaps it would be a good idea to indicate whether a digital system is encrypted or not in the database? Maybe a new column, i.e., Y (Yes), N (No), I (Intermittently), U (Unknown)...?

RonnieUSA

There are rumors that Whistler may offer a scanner next year capable of decoding unencrypted DMR, NXDN and other non-P25 digital formats. Perhaps it would be a good idea to indicate whether a digital system is encrypted or not in the database? Maybe a new column, i.e., Y (Yes), N (No), I (Intermittently), U (Unknown)...?

It's already there, listed as mode.

Last edited:

Voyager

But that doesn't list if it's partial encryption of full, or unknown.

I asked on the dB forum for at least another indicator of Partial encryption, but the dB admins are pretty adamant that the current format is fine.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Why not just leave the mode as encrypted, then in the description put if it's partial, one sided etc.

Voyager

There are valid reasons why, but I don't care to be bashed over the head with RR policy again.

n5ims

But that doesn't list if it's partial encryption of full, or unknown.

I asked on the dB forum for at least another indicator of Partial encryption, but the dB admins are pretty adamant that the current format is fine.

Perhaps the issue is the definition of "partial". What would the threshold be for "Partial" vs. "Full-Time". Encrypted by a few radios, but most transmit in the clear? Encrypted 50% of the time and clear 50% of the time (why encrypt at all then)? Encrypted for every transmission except for one lone radio that's used rarely but transmits in the clear (would this change your programming to include their transmissions)?

Perhaps folks should take the "E" indicating encryption to be "generally encrypted, but there may be some transmissions in the clear". If known (perhaps by inside knowledge or by monitoring), the exceptions could be noted in the descriptions (as are generally the case already).

As far as Whistler bringing out scanners that include the ability to decrypt encrypted transmissions, assume that those rumors are false. This should be the assumption until the federal law changes that make it illegal. If you need something more to help you with that assumption, figure out how those new scanners will get the decryption key and what magic will allow them to update them when the agency changes their keys.

If folks are talking MotoTRBO color codes, these aren't really encryption and are pretty standardized values. Since no current scanner will decode MotoTRBO, this isn't an issue but once they do, allowing entry of the color code will be a necessary part of programming for that type of system. The RR database is already exploring ways to document this data. http://forums.radioreference.com/wiki-forum/287190-mototrbo-color-codes.html

Voyager

Partial is less than full-time. Full time is full-time (never any unencrypted use).

And Color codes are the DMR equivallent to CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC - not encryption at all in any definition.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Per our rules, if it is encrypted full time, then in TRS, under mode, it gets E. If it is not fully encrypted, we us D for digital systems, and put notations in description. For legacy systems, if it is mixed that is what the X is for. For conventional systems as I explained already in other threads, we add the notation in the description.

For DMR, and NXDN systems, we add the notation about encryption (Enhanced Security Solution if Motorola) in description.

As for the Color Codes, RAN's (NXDN), timing slots, groups... CC, and RAN goes in same fields as PL/DPL. Slots, and groups go in the descriptions. For DMR, and NXDN TRS's, the CC's/RAN's fit in where the Connect Tone/WACN etc goes for the "classic" systems. CC/RAN for individual sites goes in same place as site NAC's and Connect Tones go.

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber

AOR are releasing a model AR-DV1 this year that decodes NXDN , DMR , ect .

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
As far as Whistler bringing out scanners that include the ability to decrypt encrypted transmissions, assume that those rumors are false. This should be the assumption until the federal law changes that make it illegal. If you need something more to help you with that assumption, figure out how those new scanners will get the decryption key and what magic will allow them to update them when the agency changes their keys.

I don't think that's what the original post implied. The poster was just talking about decoding unencrypted signals.

As far as full-time vs. part time encryption..I've been considering whether a particular agency's dispatch is encrypted. Dispatch is one user which comes on air the most frequent. I think labeling a tg as "D" when, really, there may be 3 or 4 users (not dispatch) with radios inadvertently left in the clear, is misleading.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The D stands for digital. If it is at least mostly in the clear, we note it in the description, if it is one sided as some are (Dispatch clear/mobiles E etc...) we note it in the description. If it is only one or two radios that rarely are on, then 99% of the time you guys send in subs to say it is E, and thus it gets the E. Come on guys, its not really rocket science here. We put in what you guys tell us is used. We will never be able to please everyone, as has been noted, and thats all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.