Mil Air submissions, like milaircomms.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
This site should implement the live mil air submissions just like milaircomms did. That was a really good feature for the nature of relatively unknown and transient freqs, which is what mil air freqs are.

It worked like this: you filled out a short form - frequency you heard, city & state, date & time. That's it. Then anyone could query by any of those parameters to see what freqs are active in their region, and when.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This could be done in the wiki - that's where unknowns and transients (since they might change usage) should be documented, I think...Mike

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Hi Mike - using wiki isn't really the same thing, in this case. What made this work on milaircomms is the ease of submission, and being provided a simple search query that could retrieve results from the many submissions.

With a wiki - you'd edit the page (not as simple, but ok), then...you'd have to scroll through the page to find what you want, and the freqs could be in any order. Not much help if you're looking for a date range, and the dates might even be missing.

With a query - show me the logged freqs in Ohio from 11/30/14 through 2/6/15. Done. You could see over time which freqs have dropped off.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can do that right now, using the history function. Compares the 2 versions and shows you which were dropped or modified.

And the search function is working more reliably now...

Not quite the same thing, true, but close. Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It only takes a single statement in the table definition. However putting the data into a table might be a little intimidating to new users.

Mike

spacellamaman

i do miss that sites freq search function. it really helped me starting out with military scanning. the massive amount of individual submissions seems like it would make for a messy wiki. even though it looks like the site may be down permanently i still check to see if its back up quite often. radioreference is a wonderful is a wonderful site but the search on here doesn't provide me with the info i am looking for often. understandably listing only confirmed info keeps everyone from chasing ghosts.

the ability to simply search a freq and see the individual reports was great in being able to narrow some stuff down.

i have no real solution to offer but thought i would bring this back up in hopes others might.

Status
Not open for further replies.