Database Policy Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

I have searched the information about submitting database info, read the Wiki about submitting info and would like some definitive clarification about submitting info to the database. I found some frequencies on the FCC database for a local PS (SO) agency that I was unaware that were issued to said agency. I monitor them when I can, but I have never heard anything on them. However, I cannot listen to them all the time. So, I submitted them to the database and they were rejected because I could not personally verify them. The license is good for a few more years. My question has to do with verifying FCC database info with the RR database. I have in the past, cross checked license info on the RR database with the FCC database to check for errors and what not. There have been instances where the info does not match. I'll give a for instance. There is a local agency that uses a Provoice EDACS system exclusively. The frequencies on the RR database do not match the FCC database. There are 2 or 3 more frequencies assigned to this agency on the FCC database. As it is a Provoice setup I cannot personally verify that the agency in question is using ALL the frequencies on the FCC database, however, if I scan through them in conventional mode, I hear digital noise on all of them. So I assume they are being used by the EDACS system that they are licensed to. Also, who and how are frequencies verified as being "deprecated" if the FCC data is not OK to use for info? There are lots of VHF and UHF frequencies that I never hear anything on, however a search on the FCC database shows them as still valid and licensed. Some have been let go (released). So, if I listen to a frequency for a year and don't hear any activity on it that, that does not mean it has been deprecated unless the license has not been renewed on the FCC database. I see this as a "catch 22" for lack of better words. Any clarification of the rules for submitting info the database would be appreciated. Thank you

kma371

QRT
Well since I rejected the submission, I guess I can chime in for more clarification. If you can't verify them how can we enter them as being accurate? If we entered everything based on an FCC license, the database would be bloated with information that isn't necessarily accurate.

Agencies get licenses for things they don't use (interop) or keep licenses active even after the original use for them has stopped just in case.

Another thing about the FCC listing is the railroads have been licensing their transmissions as NXDN. Should we then be changing all railroads to NXDN modulation? No. Because we have verified that even though the license is NXDN, they are still using FM.

See why we do what we do? And thats just the short answer :)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I agree with KMA. The database has known used traffic frequencies and whay majority want to hear. You could still monitor others you find incase. before rebanding allot places had renewed licenses up to 2015 or 2018. Many may have switched to a different system and got new licenses and frequencies or control channels changed etc. They may have extra frequencies for growth in future. If they licensed the frequencies most likely they'll hold onto them till it expires later down road. They may not use it but you never know could be temp assigned or used frequencies one or two times then nothing. Happens allot. But if the exact fcc database was on rr database like mentioned it would be so cluttered and how do you label a channel that never had activity again after one migrated to another. most information people submit is monitored for some time before submitting seeing what traffic and what tones are used. Many post in forum the findings for others to verify listening then a submission after time is made. A trunking system can have numerous frequencies but voice wise only several utilized but can have data traffic such as mdt or controlers for future expansion On the ones you don't hear voice just data garble.

Status
Not open for further replies.