Category Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Premium Subscriber
When categorizing talkgroups, may I suggest that the private EMS companies' talkgroups (and frequencies) be listed as EMS rather than "business"? Many of the private EMS companies also run 911 or 911 backup. For those of us that scan by category, it makes more sense to categorize these as EMS rather than as businesses.

Voyager

I think the tag refers more to the frequencies listed. If they are on business frequencies, they should be listed as "business". If they are on PS frequencies, they would be listed as EMS.

There really is no way to make a better distinction. But, business frequencies should not be used for 911 dispatch calls. I know in some places they ARE, but they should not be since 911 dispatch users should not violate FCC rules by waiting for other users to finish using the frequency, but they also should not delay calls because the trash company is talking about the location of the dumpsters at the local pizza place. That's why PS frequencies exist - for PS users who are (usually) much less long-winded compared to business users.

Case in point: If a local business (using business frequencies) responds to HazMat calls, should they be listed as business or HazMat? Should tow trucks be listed as business or Emergency Ops if they tow accidents?

JoeyC

For those of us that scan by category, it makes more sense to categorize these as EMS rather than as businesses.

You can always change the Service Type tag in the software to whatever category you wish.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I think the tag refers more to the frequencies listed. If they are on business frequencies, they should be listed as "business". If they are on PS frequencies, they would be listed as EMS.

There really is no way to make a better distinction. But, business frequencies should not be used for 911 dispatch calls. I know in some places they ARE, but they should not be since 911 dispatch users should not violate FCC rules by waiting for other users to finish using the frequency, but they also should not delay calls because the trash company is talking about the location of the dumpsters at the local pizza place. That's why PS frequencies exist - for PS users who are (usually) much less long-winded compared to business users.

Case in point: If a local business (using business frequencies) responds to HazMat calls, should they be listed as business or HazMat? Should tow trucks be listed as business or Emergency Ops if they tow accidents?

One other issue to keep in mind is that business frequencies are often shared among many users, even in the same area, so it's possible to hear a private ambulance company as well as other businesses on the same frequency. As the FCC continues to reduce minimum transmitter spacing in order to squeeze more use out of limited spectrum, this becomes more and more likely.

Voyager

As the FCC continues to reduce minimum transmitter spacing in order to squeeze more use out of limited spectrum, this becomes more and more likely.

LOL - it was down to less than a city block in my area 15-20 years ago. How much lower can they go? And would half a city block be that much more interference than one?

And the tech of the "other system" kept leaving the MON button pressed so users on one system would activate both.

The second system moved out of state, so it's no longer an issue, but please don't try to tell me there were any spacing requirements for business systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.