NXDN now in my county What do I do? I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dona4ky

I am new to scanners and I wonder if there are any ways to listen to this new format? Is anyone able to do any coding for a old Pro-106?

nd5y

In order to receive unencrypted NXDN you would need to add a discriminator tap to your Pro-106 and use DSDPlus or buy a RTL-SDR or similar and use DSDPlus. You could also buy Whistler TRX1 or TRX2 scanner and wait for them to release the NXDN firmware upgrade that is supposed to be out later this year.

Dona4ky

In order to receive unencrypted NXDN you would need to add a discriminator tap to your Pro-106 and use DSDPlus or buy a RTL-SDR or similar and use DSDPlus. You could also buy Whistler TRX1 or TRX2 scanner and wait for them to release the NXDN firmware upgrade that is supposed to be out later this year.
I don't know how to do that. I paid someone to program my scanner in the beginning. He did not offer that for me.

SCPD

QRT
I don't know how to do that. Is there someone who can fix my radio?

Your radio isnt broken, its just unable to decode that. If you arent computer savvy you are out of luck until a scanner is released that decodes NXDN

Dona4ky

I understand that. Thanks for your time. I paid a man to program my scanner last month, then was informed why I could not pick up info. He said he had heard something about my county going to NXDN. I was not offered that fix. If you know of someone that can do that for me, I appreciate it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You have one more option but you might not like it? ... Move where NXDN is not used. 73, n9zas

RayAir

Options:
1) use an RTL-SDR stick or scanner with a disc tap in conjunction with DSD+.

If it's not encrypted you might even be able to use an NXDN capable radio.

I'm using DSD and an ICOM IC-4161 to listen to conventional channels as well as three NXDN 4800 (6.25KHz) trunked systems.

If it's using NXDN 9600 (12.5KHz) you would need a Kenwood radio, however they cannot passively scan a trunked system AFAIK, so that would work with conventional only.

Good luck.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it's using NXDN 9600 (12.5KHz) you would need a Kenwood radio, however they cannot passively scan a trunked system AFAIK, so that would work with conventional only.

True, I run a Kenwood NXDN trunked system, Kenwood radios will not decrypt Kenwood NXDN trunked systems unless they are set up by the system administrator.

Dona4KY:

What these guys are trying to tell you is that there is no ~easy~ way for you to listen in on the agencies that have switched to NXDN at this time.

There are work around that people can do, however unless you are very capable with computers and/or basic electronics, it's not something you'll be able to do on your own.
Since you said you had someone program your scanner for you, I'm going to take a guess and figure that radios and electronics are not your primary interest. Likely you just want to listen in to what is going on around you.
Nothing at all wrong with that. I know several people in your shoes.

So, what can YOU do as a end user/consumer?

Wait.

There are radios out there that will receive NXDN transmissions. They are not the basic consumer models at this time, they are higher end, $1000.00 and up type of radios.

Good news is that some of the larger manufacturers are developing the radios to work with NXDN.

However, encryption is very easy to do with NXDN. It's a standard function of all the two way radios.
If the agency you want to listen to has decided to use encryption, there isn't anything you'll be able to do as a consumer. Decryption of encrypted radio traffic is against the law, and no reputable scanner manufacturer is going to sell a radio that will break encryption.

So, if you can wait a while, and are willing to purchase a new scanner, you may be in luck. But, only if the agency didn't encrypt their radio traffic.

Unfortunately encryption is becoming common place, and it locks out the casual listeners like yourself.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As another poster suggested, wait. Whistler's TRX-1 and TRX-2 are supposed to get an upgrade to copy NXDN, but when that will actually happen is anyone's guess.

Mike

RayAir

I looked in the database for your area and those agencies seem to be using 12.5KHz NXDN, conventional repeater set up.

Looks like someone updated the RAN codes for some and I didn't see any notes for encryption.

If that's the case this would be quite easy to monitor.

I would go with a used Kenwood nxdn portable.

If the scanner manufacturers don't release a scanner capable of decoding nexedge I'd look for someone local to maybe program a rx only radio for you.

Just something to keep in mind.

wbswetnam

I also looked at the systems for Jessamine County, KY ... yeah, it looks like the county went with NXDN all the way. Obviously someone in your immediate area has monitored the system already and posted notes about the RAN codes and they did not say anything about encryption, so maybe you're lucky and it is not encrypted. Whistler has said that they will be coming out with NXDN capability on their TRX line of scanners "before the end of the year", which is less than six months from now. If I were you, I'd buy either the TRX-1 (portable model) or TRX-2 (desktop model) and at the very least you can get state agencies such as the state patrol and nearby Lexington right now, and your local agencies by Christmas time.

I have an old tapped Uniden 142XL scanner that I have used for monitoring DMR and NXDN (along with the DSD+ computer software) so I know that it is possible to monitor unencrypted NXDN. The local volunteer fire department where my father lives in Arkansas uses NXDN 12.5 KHz for its operations. It is fun to listen in on their conversations since it seems apparent that they think no one is listening in on their comms... they are surprisingly candid in their comments over the radio.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree. . . Short of venturing into the SDR world, you'll have to wait until NXDN becomes available on scanners.

As noted above, Whistler says it is on the horizon. I'm sure Uniden won't want to be outdone by them and will offer NXDN too (eventually).

At any rate, you Pro 106 is limited to KSP and surrounding counties (except Lexington which uses a lot of encryption for Law Enforcement).

Status
Not open for further replies.