RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 3:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Should I or Shouldn't I

Quick back ground, I have had a 440mhz ham repeater on the air in Atlanta for a number of years, it's a personal repeater that a few of my friends use. I'm thinking about updating/upgrading it. *and* I have some motivation to *link* in someway to repeaters in Utah as my brother just got his license. Today, the easy repeater for him to use are already always linked to the IRLP Western Reflector.

Lastly, I'm interested in playing with some of the ROIP technologies that exist... Specifically the AllStar Link network, and *maybe* EchoLink.... I have internet at the repeater location. BTW, this is a wide coverage area repeater.

So.... I'm wondering as I look at upgrading, should I consider going to the Hybrid technologies, Either the NexEdge or IDas stuff from either Kenwood or Icom?

I know that either, to take advantage of the digital modes will require new end user equipment. So I'd like the flexibility to run in the standard 25khz analog mode, and digital.

I guess the real question that I"m struggling with is should I talk the plunge? And while I don't want to spend 5K to do so, I'm not opposed to the 2K range for repeater/controller, etc.

Figured I'd ask some of the guys in the know and get their opinion?

thanks in advance, hope you can help steer this ship

Alan
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012, 6:52 PM

Let me be the first person, after 60 people have read your question, To say you are doing alot for the Ham comunity with your repeater, Buy spending 2000.00 or 5000.00 or even 1.00 nore be worth it to yourself or other hams. or other hams and yourself. Is there a better way to use the money and the investment. with that kind of investment you could buy a small radio and antenna set-up HF, 2 meter ,440 etc maby portbale for maby teaching some Boyscout, trouble kids,or Christan group about hamradio. you have me thinking. just my 2 cents and ( tax deductable I think ) good luck give it time and let us know what you decide
Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

You might see what other digital modes are in your neck of the woods. Neat thing with P25, MotorTRBO, and NXDN is that most can be mixed mode (digital or analog) repeaters on the same frequency. I believe dstar is limited to digital only. Something to think about....
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't like to answer a question with a question, but what do your local friends who now use your repeater use for digital, if anything? Worst thing you could do would to be to convert to some form of digital and end up having no one using it. My personal preferences, in order, would be P25, then TRBO, then D-Star, with Nexedge and IDas being definitely last, but that's just a reflection of what's currently popular in my home area. P25 receive can be run in Mixed Mode, wideband or narrowband, and your transmit can likewise be wide or narrow P25. (Some guys prefer the sound of wideband P25.) IRLP and Echolink work great, by the way, especially if there's just one or two people who live far away that you want to be in contact with.

Last edited by W2NJS; 08-26-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All depends on what your friends like talking on for an example AllStar, IRLP, DStar, FM Analog, Echolink, P25, NXDN/IDAS and etc. In my area we have IRLP, Echolink, P25, DStar and hopefully in the next months hopefully Mototrbo. Talk to your friends and brother and see what money you guys can put up all together to get a digital type repeater system.

Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Hey Git-R-Done, ya think it's going to rain today? GARY N4KVE
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONBOOTS View Post
Yep, We're getting the winds right now until the rain hits sometime tonight it was raining lightly but quit.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yep, We're getting the winds right now until the rain hits sometime tonight it was raining lightly but quit. How is the wet weather down in Ft. Lauderdale?

Old 08-26-2012, 1:12 PM

Right now, there's no rain, but it comes & goes. 10 minutes ago, it was a monsoon. Hey, this is the cost of not having to shovel snow. GARY N4KVE
Old 08-26-2012, 2:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Right now, there's no rain, but it comes & goes. 10 minutes ago, it was a monsoon. Hey, this is the cost of not having to shovel snow. GARY N4KVE
Hope you guys make it through with no problems from the storm it's raining here now with heavy wind. I don't want to deal with shoveling snow again like I did when I live in Roswell, Georgia (Atlanta)