Chinese digital radios – they’re here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kirisun is a pretty big company and they've been around since the early 1990's. I'd be hesitant to group them in with the Chinese ones I can't pronounce, or spell. Yes, they are a Chinese company, but I think that would be where the similarities would cease. They actually have some pretty nice stuff.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
robertmac said:
The frequency range I saw excluded the 70 cm frequencies.
400-470 as stated on the page..

Kirisun is a pretty big company and they've been around since the early 1990's. I'd be hesitant to group them in with the Chinese ones I can't pronounce, or spell. Yes, they are a Chinese company, but I think that would be where the similarities would cease. They actually have some pretty nice stuff.
Did someone delete a post? I don't see anyone grouping them with the "others".. Unless this is a stated opinion, to which I say, Thanks, didn't know that....:D

Looks like a spiffy little handheld though.. And one of the comments on the page from the link say it's "Like DMR" I wonder how much like... There are a couple DMR repeaters around me.. And it would be interesting to try.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
v689u or v688

Ok, I couldn't open the link from the OP post. I have seen reference to the v689u or v688 and their web site gives the frequency as
Frequency Range
400-425MHz
350-390MHz
which excludes the 70 cm frequencies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The link from the OP post clearly states the radio is 400-470MHz. A 1 watt internal speaker also! Looks like a nice radio. I wonder if it does analog also. No mention of that.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Got the link to open. What he says is "When looking at the LCD, the 409Shop teaser Brick posted about might be technically identical to this one. The Kirisun S760/FP460". When I looked at the 409 shop it showed the number as V689U. When doing a search for V689U, the closest thing that came up was V688 which has the frequency as I posted. So there are 2 different radios here and I was posting about the one on 409Shop, not the one that might be technically identical.

rapidcharger

Here is another "chinese digital radio" from Baofeng which is becoming popular for the amateur radio world.

Basically 32 ch FDMA (like NXDN iDas) format not to bad of a price either.

BF-P108 DIGITAL UHF RADIO BF-P108 DIGITAL UHF RADIO [] - $238.00 : Buy Two way radios, Security 2 way radio accessories and commercial handhelds!

For not much more than that you can get a brand new Vertex-Standard Everge series radio with a good warranty. When Baofeng has a digital radio for under $100, then we'll have something earth shaking to talk about.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I wonder if it does analog also. No mention of that.

It did state:

Dual Modes of Analog & Digital

By changing the channel setting, FP460 can be used in analog or digital mode. Being analog/digital compatible, FP460 allows any businessman or private user to enjoy digital quality as well as being relieved from congested spectrum.

Nice to see all these things coming out of the closet at reasonable pricing compared to the "BIG" boy's.

EDIT: This unit is only available in UHF. While nice and cheap, I would like to see a dual band unit at this price point like Wouxun. Speaking of, they are about due for a digital release like the rest I hope!

Dafe.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Uh ... no... hopefully not.

Do we really want the general public running around with $50 cheap digital noisemakers?

If you want to get on the air with NXDN, there's more and more stuff showing up on the second hand market that can be had for under $200 I know this because I've bought 3 nxdn radios for average price around $200 and I'd take a used one of them any day over some limited function Baofeng with no support and nowhere to send it back if it dies.

N8OHU

Uh ... no... hopefully not.

Do we really want the general public running around with $50 cheap digital noisemakers?

If you want to get on the air with NXDN, there's more and more stuff showing up on the second hand market that can be had for under $200 I know this because I've bought 3 nxdn radios for average price around $200 and I'd take a used one of them any day over some limited function Baofeng with no support and nowhere to send it back if it dies.

Some of us would love to have something to play with; after all, ham radio is about experimentation for some of us.

N8OHU

Yes, but the last thing we need/want on DMR or NXDN are a bunch of crappy sounding radios with their CB roger beeps or police siren sound effect generators.

I've heard supposedly better quality radios that didn't sound much better than the $50US ones, and I'm sure you have too. A lot of it is, or could be, in other hardware, just like the inevitable comparisons between DMR/P25/D-Star or IRLP/Echolink/AllStar Link. There are a lot of folks that actually enjoy tinkering with stuff, but are rightfully reluctant to do it with a $300-400US radio, but wouldn't think twice about taking an el-cheapo apart almost as soon as they take it out of the box.

rapidcharger

I've heard supposedly better quality radios that didn't sound much better than the $50US ones, and I'm sure you have too. A lot of it is, or could be, in other hardware, just like the inevitable comparisons between DMR/P25/D-Star or IRLP/Echolink/AllStar Link. There are a lot of folks that actually enjoy tinkering with stuff, but are rightfully reluctant to do it with a $300-400US radio, but wouldn't think twice about taking an el-cheapo apart almost as soon as they take it out of the box.

Fair point but I wouldn't count on any of these really being that cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.