DMR Repeater useing Rasberry Pi for internet linking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kk4mei

can this be done? I know Dstar uses them?

If this can be done what to stop someone from making a DMR-MARC hot spot?

all you would need is

DMR mobil radio (with data port)
rasberry pi
node adapter (dutch star boad)
wifi from cell phone

here is the dstar version is it not possable on dmr?
DStar GMSK Node Adapter Hotspot Setup

trade the computer with a rasberry pi for acess to the internet

EDIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ItqeQou4k&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I found a video of something very close to a portable DMR hotspot a wifi dongle on the rasberry pi with acess to a cell phones wifi and that's done.

next question is whats to stop acess to the DMR MARC system this way?

this would be nice as a portable MARC hotspot

Last edited:

kb1isz

On the Hytera side we are using Raspberry Pi's for linking. But that involves an IP connection to an actual repeater.

If you had one of these DVSI Products USB-3000™ and a microphone/speaker I think it could be done but you would have to modify the software to do it.

w2xab

DMR Hot Spot

Technically anything is possible. Hytera has a new little RD-96x DMR repeater specifically designed as a Hot Spot type repeater; it will work on a Hytera IPSC network but not a Mototrbo. I have not heard the MSRP on it yet as it doesn't seem available in the US market yet.

If someone home brews a DMR Hot Spot, they are going to have to talk a DMR network into allowing them to connect; I would guess most networks will not allow it because of protocol issues when Motorola or Hytera releases updates to their vender specific IPSC protocols.

As an owner of a c-Bridge and four Mototrbo repeaters that are connected to a network of a few hundred systems in 28 countries my answer would be to anyone consider a DMR Hot Spot is to go build your own Hot Spot network to talk between other Hot Spots first.

I hope that ESTI will define a standard DMR IPSC protocol specification so the Hytera repeaters can talk to the Mototrbo and that both manufactures adopt a standard when one if published; the same for any other infrastructure manufacturer.

John, W2XAB

beischel

I don't think DMR allows the networking options that DStar offers. Everyone has to remember that DMR was developed for commercial use and not amateur use. As a result, most DMR repeaters for commercial interest tend to be local and don't need the long distance networking that amateur desire.

K

kk4mei

I don't think DMR allows the networking options that DStar offers. Everyone has to remember that DMR was developed for commercial use and not amateur use. As a result, most DMR repeaters for commercial interest tend to be local and don't need the long distance networking that amateur desire.

a network connection is a network connection no matter what. DMR and D-Star are slightly diffrent but it can be done you would just need permission to join a master server. I think the only problem would be to keep a static IP address needed for the MARC system.

n9nwo

One option is already being developed. NW Digital Radio NW Digital Radio has a platform that will provide any form of digital communication (on 440 band). Right now they have a D-Star platform but anyone could develop a DMR linux program that would run on it.

N9NWO

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I just use a Verizon 6620L hotspot and a Netgear wireless router that feeds directly into the repeater. The router has Tomato firmware in it so that it acts as a wireless bridge. It receives the WiFi signal from the hotspot and then links the internet to the repeater via the CAT5 cable.

N8OHU

Technically anything is possible. Hytera has a new little RD-96x DMR repeater specifically designed as a Hot Spot type repeater; it will work on a Hytera IPSC network but not a Mototrbo. I have not heard the MSRP on it yet as it doesn't seem available in the US market yet.

If someone home brews a DMR Hot Spot, they are going to have to talk a DMR network into allowing them to connect; I would guess most networks will not allow it because of protocol issues when Motorola or Hytera releases updates to their vender specific IPSC protocols.

As an owner of a c-Bridge and four Mototrbo repeaters that are connected to a network of a few hundred systems in 28 countries my answer would be to anyone consider a DMR Hot Spot is to go build your own Hot Spot network to talk between other Hot Spots first.

I hope that ESTI will define a standard DMR IPSC protocol specification so the Hytera repeaters can talk to the Mototrbo and that both manufactures adopt a standard when one if published; the same for any other infrastructure manufacturer.

John, W2XAB

John, I've looked repeatedly at ETSI TS 102 361-3 and could swear that IS the ETSI. IPSC standard And if it is, then adoption of a common standard between vendors isn't likely to happen, simply because some commercial vendors don't want mixed brand systems to be possible except on the user hardware side.
Matthew N8OHU

AA9VI

You have the correct answer, Matthew.

But so the newbies aren't confused, all this means is you can't mix repeaters, but no big deal mixing mobiles and portables on a MOT or HYT repeater. The repeaters include the IP gateway. So the gateways and IPSC at the repeater level are incompatible with other repeaters from different manufacturers.

dsteele311

Hello all. Did anyone ever come up with the software and the hardware for a DMR hotspot that will connect to Mototrbo. I was looking to build something for my house with out spending a boatload of cash for a repeater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb1isz

At this time there is nothing I am aware of like a DVAP for DMR.

One thing I want to correct said earlier in this thread is that Motorola repeaters can now join the Hytera network. Software has been written to link then. Still very early as only a handful are on but it does work.

JRayfield

It may -work-, but it may not support all of the functionality that is used in Motorola MOTOTRBO repeater networks. The Motorola IPSC protocol is proprietary and so anyone who has used it to bridge between Motorola and Hytera repeaters has probably 'reverse engineered' the IPSC protocol. It's possible that they've figured out some of the 'lesser known' functionality in the protocol, but I would suspect that to be unlikely.

John Rayfield, Jr.

At this time there is nothing I am aware of like a DVAP for DMR.

One thing I want to correct said earlier in this thread is that Motorola repeaters can now join the Hytera network. Software has been written to link then. Still very early as only a handful are on but it does work.

kb1isz

I suspect you are right John, But it supports enough to be useful. On the Hytera side we have been using reverse engineered software to link and we are well over 100 repeaters strong now. Some issues in the beginning for sure but it is actually very stable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.