Yaesu: New Yaesu FTM-100DR C4FM Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidfatkid

Yaesu FTM-100DR 2M/70cm C4FM mobile - 50 watts VHF/UHF. Hopefully the price comes down. I don't see the draw at $30 under the current rebate price of FTM-400DR.

Attachments

• Yaesu-FTM-100DR.jpg
    Yaesu-FTM-100DR.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9,399

Aero125

I don't see the draw at $30 under the current rebate price of FTM-400DR.

At that price point I can't see them selling very many. If Yaesu doesn't re-extend the $100 rebate on the 400 after June then it might get some attn., but that goes against Yaesu's current strategy of getting Fusion gear out there being implemented. If the new 100 was around a $300 price they may sell a bunch.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Would be nice if Yaesu would put up a flyer on their website... Par for the course though... The Yaesu website is usually the last place for that... Be nice to know how the memory architecture is laid out... And memory capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aero125

Based on their other most recent releases specific info and manuals usually don't show up much before the release. It also seems for various reasons the on the shelf release dates get pushed back further than expected, I'm using the 991 and FT2 models as examples.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
This one at least looks like a traditional dash mount with a remote head option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Reported elsewhere to be a one-band-at-a-time dual-band radio. It supposedly will have an internal GPS receiver to feed location data to the DN mode, but probably doesn't have the APRS features that the FTM-400 has.

Stupidfatkid

I read the same thing, that it doesn't support simultaneous receive on the A and B band. I wonder if they're referring to decoding two Fusion OTA data streams at the same time? That would make more since, because like the 400, it probably only has one vocoder. Seems silly to display two frequencies but only receive one. Guess we'll find out eventually.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I like the form factor (dash mount/remote mount option) but the price difference between the 100 and the 400 is not much and the 400 is a true dual band radio, color TFT display...I think it's overpriced.

If this is aimed at a buyer of an Icom 880H (which currently sells for just over 4 bills) they are batting a losing hit.

AK9R

Super Moderator
General digital voice standards comments moved here.

Let's keep this thread focused on the Yaesu FTM-100.

N8OHU

I like the form factor (dash mount/remote mount option) but the price difference between the 100 and the 400 is not much and the 400 is a true dual band radio, color TFT display...I think it's overpriced.

If this is aimed at a buyer of an Icom 880H (which currently sells for just over 4 bills) they are batting a losing hit.

To tell the truth, one of my friends that is a Yaesu fanatic is more interested in this one than he is the FTM-400DR, since this has a smaller non-color display which will fit in better in the mobile application he wants it for. For that matter, even as a D-STAR user, I would take the FTM-100DR over the FTM-400DR, as I could put the two control heads (ID-880H and FTM-100DR) on the same mounting plate fairly easily.

KY4TS

FTM-100D features and specs

500 Memories each for VFO A & VFO B
APRS
Optional FVS-2 Voice Guide
TOT & APO
Voltage Display
Dual Watch Function

Three RF Levels 5/20/50W
12.5 kHz C4FM/FDMA
GPS Based Internal Clock - Calendar
Four Scan Modes: VFO, Memory, Programmable Memory or Selected Memory.
Image Receive/Transmit
GPS Data Input & Output
Remote Mount Head Ability
microSD card slot

N8OHU

500 Memories each for VFO A & VFO B
APRS
Optional FVS-2 Voice Guide
TOT & APO
Voltage Display
Dual Watch Function

Three RF Levels 5/20/50W
12.5 kHz C4FM/FDMA
GPS Based Internal Clock - Calendar
Four Scan Modes: VFO, Memory, Programmable Memory or Selected Memory.
Image Receive/Transmit
GPS Data Input & Output
Remote Mount Head Ability
microSD card slot
And with Icom having marked the ID-880H as discontinued and not having announced a replacement as yet, it looks like Yaesu may have a winner on its hands after the end of the month. [emoji3]

SCPD

QRT
To tell the truth, one of my friends that is a Yaesu fanatic is more interested in this one than he is the FTM-400DR, since this has a smaller non-color display which will fit in better in the mobile application he wants it for. For that matter, even as a D-STAR user, I would take the FTM-100DR over the FTM-400DR, as I could put the two control heads (ID-880H and FTM-100DR) on the same mounting plate fairly easily.

Yes it's far more interesting that the 400DR which still has GPS issues. It takes a *really* long time for it to lock on the sats.

I just replaced my 400DR with the V71a in the radio console as C4FM just hasn't taken hold yet.

A ham friend made a great point in that repeater clubs were looking for a cheap upgrade option for their aging repeater system. It was a necessary move by Yaesu for marketing reasons but I'm not sure how many repeaters will go C4FM full-time.

AK9R

Super Moderator
...I'm not sure how many repeaters will go C4FM full-time.
"Full-time" implies that these repeaters would be locked in digital mode. However, the advantage to the YSF repeaters is that they can be set for automatic mode selection which does not segregate the repeater's users into digital-only or analog-only camps. With the repeater in AMS, users with and without YSF radios can both take full advantage of the repeater's features.

I have only heard one valid argument for not running a YSF repeater in AMS: the repeater trustee didn't own a YSF radio, so he locked the repeater in analog-only because he couldn't monitor how the repeater was used in digital mode.

N8OHU

And that's really not valid, since you can allow digital input and force FM out; you do lose the other benefits of digital, but since the repeaters don't yet work with Wires-X, that's not as big a deal as it might otherwise be.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
And that's really not valid, since you can allow digital input and force FM out; you do lose the other benefits of digital, but since the repeaters don't yet work with Wires-X, that's not as big a deal as it might otherwise be.

There is always the side that if you are going to do that, what is really the point of allowing Auto selection in? Even catering to both digital and analog users, you are still favoring the analog users.

Status
Not open for further replies.