DV4 Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4APR

I went back through the last few pages of threads and didn't see any discussion on the DV4 Mini dongle that is coming out of Germany:

DV4mini USB Stick for D-Star and DMR - HELITRON Online Shop

Looks like there is a US reseller gearing up to ship next month:

Wireless Holdings, LLC

I added myself to the wait list. I'm really interested in trying this since I want to play with DMR more, but I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have any DMR repeaters near me. The NASA club I belong to W4WFF has an XPR8400 repeater. We're looking to get it tied to DMR-MARC, but our IT restrictions are so strict that I'm only about 10% sure I can get it done.

Having said that, has anyone look at the DV4 as a possible hotspot solution to DMR-MARC? I see references all over the place for connection to "worldwide reflectors", but not specific networks, other than DMR+. From what I have found, DMR+ is mostly Hytera gear and centralized in Europe. Of course, when it comes down to bare bones DMR, DMR is DMR, so Hytera, Trbo, ect. is all usable.

I would love to set up some kind of hotspot from my home to DMR-MARC with this DV4 Mini, but I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much. The DMR-MARC people seem to be a bit touchy about letting anything but Moto repeaters on the network.

Anyways, just looking to start a discussion or maybe someone has already figured this out and I just didn't search deep enough.

KA2ZEY

I just ordered one from the UK. Not sure how long it will take to get here. The software look really great and user friendly. I usually use a DVAP into a WinBook Tablet for a DStar hotspot.

I think you're right about the DMR-MARC vs Hytera thing. I think right now it will only get you on the Hytera network. I'm kinda disappointed in DMR lately. Everything has gotten kind of limited again. The Hytera network might be more open. I'd like to get an FT-1DR to try out Fusion. Hopefully, Yeasu will get the Wires thing going.

W2SJW

Database Admin
The DMR-MARC network by design will ONLY allow Moto repeaters because of the proprietary IPSEC that Motorola has that lets the repeaters communicate through the C-bridges.

I'm not going to let that limitation stop me from getting a DV4 when they get here! Time to order another Pi2!

Stupidfatkid

I found the DV4mini manual . It looks like the software will support reflectors on D-Star, DMR, Fusion, and P25.

Fusion Reflector - not a Yaesu sanctioned reflector I assume (i.e. not accessible via a WIRES X box)
P25 Reflector - I didn't know such a thing existed

Last edited:

K4APR

I just ordered one from the UK. Not sure how long it will take to get here. The software look really great and user friendly. I usually use a DVAP into a WinBook Tablet for a DStar hotspot.

OK, cool. Glad to know I'm not the only one that wants to get one to try. I have only seen what I think is preliminary software demos, but that was on some old YouTube videos. I have to believe they had made improvements since the initial release.

I think you're right about the DMR-MARC vs Hytera thing. I think right now it will only get you on the Hytera network. I'm kinda disappointed in DMR lately. Everything has gotten kind of limited again. The Hytera network might be more open. I'd like to get an FT-1DR to try out Fusion. Hopefully, Yeasu will get the Wires thing going.

At the NASA facility I work at, we have a small club and were lucky enough to get a couple of Moto XPR8400 repeaters funded for our use. I actually just ordered mixed-mode firmware upgrades this week for them. Our club is somewhat relaxed and many of the guys are just not that into running Trbo. Some are, but they are worried that they have to go out any buy new radios instead of using their $35 Bowlfunks (I know, we don't need to have that debate here!). I have many convinced that they can pick up a Hytera/TYT for around $150 and they are liking that idea. As a former Moto tech, P25 is my first go-to, but of course I won't get anyone on board that boat because they are already grumbling about $150 for a radio. I think DMR is our best shot.

I'm explaining all of this because I would like to put the XPR8400 on DMR-MARC, but our IT restrictions at NASA are let's say, just under Stalinistic. It's going to be very hard to get it on the network, just to get the data outside of the gate. I'm thinking about some kind of of-facility control station that can access to the repeater and then pipe that to DMR-MARC or if that isn't an option, one of the other DMR networks.

We have a member right now willing to give us a VHF Fusion repeater and I'm ok with having the repeater, but I am not willing to go to the membership and ask them to buy yet another fragmented digital mode (ie. DStar, Fusion, ect). I want to at least stick with an industry standard and DMR looks the way to go.

K4APR

The DMR-MARC network by design will ONLY allow Moto repeaters because of the proprietary IPSEC that Motorola has that lets the repeaters communicate through the C-bridges.

I'm not going to let that limitation stop me from getting a DV4 when they get here! Time to order another Pi2!

That's what I was afraid of. So I guess this will have to remain a dream for now. I have a few spare Pi's sitting around here, including a brand new Pi 2 that I have yet to turn on. Maybe I have a new project for it :)

K4APR

I found the DV4mini manual . It looks like the software will support reflectors on D-Star, DMR, Fusion, and P25.

Fusion Reflector - not a Yaesu sanctioned reflector I assume (i.e. not accessible via a WIRES X box)
P25 Reflector - I didn't know such a thing existed

Hmm, interesting about P25. For now, I'll take DMR if I can get it. I know I can talk at least half of my club membership into buying a Hytera/TYT DMR portable to play along.

Of course, running our XPR8400 in mixed mode will keep the non-adopters happy, until they see that there is so much more on the digital side. Just the time slotting alone is enough for me to want it.

K4APR

Found something interesting while looking around the DMR-MARC site tonight. Take a look at near the bottom of this page: DMR-MARC Network

They reference the DV4 Mini. They are simply telling users not to apply for a new ID for the device, but they do address it in some form. I'm wondering how people are applying them to use on that network.

dr_wireless

Premium Subscriber
DV4mini and Motorola IPSC

DMRX DMRX | Core is now distributing a DMR talkgroup for Hytera reflector 4639 (DMR+ USA). This talkgroup is available to all c-Bridge owners. A server with 'special' software does the conversion. The talkgroup has been added to the NorCal and SoCal c-Bridges in California. Once a DMR reflector is mapped to a talkgroup it can be used on the Motorola IPSC network.

The DV4mini does not require an ID number, since you need to use a DMR, DSTAR, P25, or Fusion radio with the appropriate vocoder.

dr

K4APR

DMRX DMRX | Core is now distributing a DMR talkgroup for Hytera reflector 4639 (DMR+ USA). This talkgroup is available to all c-Bridge owners. A server with 'special' software does the conversion. The talkgroup has been added to the NorCal and SoCal c-Bridges in California. Once a DMR reflector is mapped to a talkgroup it can be used on the Motorola IPSC network.

This is interesting. So DMRX is another DMR reflector open to using the DV4mini hardware? How would go about registering with DMRX to be a user/gateway? If I get the DV4mini, I want to know that I have an immediate use for it. $150 is a lot for a toy that would just sit on the shelf. Just like all of the money I have wasted into FunCubes, SDR's and other similar RF hardware that were lousy and never really went anywhere.

The DV4mini does not require an ID number, since you need to use a DMR, DSTAR, P25, or Fusion radio with the appropriate vocoder.

Right, I did get that part. The DV4mini is simply the RF link between the subscriber unit and the network. The subscriber unit's ID is passed through the DV4mini to the network.

K4APR

I made that last post a bit prematurely. I did some more reading and it looks like the xReflector is the actual network that the DV4mini will work with. Interesting, I tried to register and mt DMR-MARC ID came up, so I guess the left hand does know what the right hand is doing :)

dr_wireless

Premium Subscriber
DSTAR is transitioning from a 4 digit CCS4 ID system to a 7 digit CCS7 ID system. It was decided to use the DMR-MARC system and not invent a new system! Your DMR ID is the same as the CCS7 ID used for DSTAR. There is one DMR registration system in the USA and one in Europe and the databases are synced.

You can download and install the DV4mini software from Index of /V1.6

Input your DMR ID and it will automatically put in your callsign. You can see the reflectors available now, but you cannot connect unless you have a DV4mini. I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

dr

K4APR

DSTAR is transitioning from a 4 digit CCS4 ID system to a 7 digit CCS7 ID system. It was decided to use the DMR-MARC system and not invent a new system! Your DMR ID is the same as the CCS7 ID used for DSTAR. There is one DMR registration system in the USA and one in Europe and the databases are synced.

You can download and install the DV4mini software from Index of /V1.6

Input your DMR ID and it will automatically put in your callsign. You can see the reflectors available now, but you cannot connect unless you have a DV4mini. I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

Thanks for the clarification! I have zero interest in DStar. I'm planning to use this with DMR and I guess now P25. As soon as I get the option to order, I'll place an order for mine. I'm on the waiting list through the US reseller.

reconrider8

Can someone explain how the dv4 minis work? I don't have my ticket just yet. But I'm really interested in getting into dmr on the ncprn system. The know I have to register and all wih the system but I'm not really near any repeaters for portable use and I know I'm not going to have the money for a mobile just yet so I would like to use the dv4 to connect with my portable when I receive it

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'd love to be able to use two of them to make a kindasorta IP Site Connect type of network. IE I have one I my place, my buddy 45km's away has one at his place, and we would be able to chat as if we were on a wide area network. Would be very slick!

K4APR

I'd love to be able to use two of them to make a kindasorta IP Site Connect type of network. IE I have one I my place, my buddy 45km's away has one at his place, and we would be able to chat as if we were on a wide area network. Would be very slick!

From what I saw in a demo video, I think this is a viable option with two of these. Basically you can set up a VPN between the two. I'm not the best networking guy, so I can't really explain how to do that.

K4APR

Can someone explain how the dv4 minis work? I don't have my ticket just yet. But I'm really interested in getting into dmr on the ncprn system. The know I have to register and all wih the system but I'm not really near any repeaters for portable use and I know I'm not going to have the money for a mobile just yet so I would like to use the dv4 to connect with my portable when I receive it

So, in a nutshell, the DV4 Mini is a low power UHF transceiver and network gateway in a single USB interfaceable stick. The RF side is the "link" between your handheld and the stick. The USB side is the "link" between the stick and the DMR/DStar/P25 reflectors that they have been given the OK to connect to. My hope is that someday they'll have a way to connect to the DMR-MARC network and remove the need for a complete Motorola MotoTrbo repeater to get on the network.

reconrider8

Ahh OK so how could I use this to connect to a local linked dmr repeater? It would seem you would have to connect to the repeater through the net some how

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
So, in a nutshell, the DV4 Mini is a low power UHF transceiver and network gateway in a single USB interfaceable stick. The RF side is the "link" between your handheld and the stick. The USB side is the "link" between the stick and the DMR/DStar/P25 reflectors that they have been given the OK to connect to. My hope is that someday they'll have a way to connect to the DMR-MARC network and remove the need for a complete Motorola MotoTrbo repeater to get on the network.

I too am looking pretty hard at getting one of these too (a DV4Mini), the idea of doing DMR, DSTAR, P25, and mabey Fusion all in one device is really neat, given that we have zero DMR repeaters around here. Two questions (one may have already been answered but i`ll ask anyway :)), one, who in the USA is selling these? I see mention of a reseller on this thread. Second, how easy to use/set up is this? Is this something that`ll take a lot of typing in of code or is it pretty much point & click? I`m seriously thinking on one of these when they get actoss the pond to the US, defenitely :). N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.