DV4mobile: A new multi digital format mobile (DMR, NXDN, YSF, P25, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
The Big Boys will be Angry...

This was shared by some friends on Facebook, and thought it would be appreciated by many here. I hope this is not just vaporware.

DV4mobile details appear, promising to be the Holy Grail for digitally driven hams - VA3XPR

Sent via Tapatalk

Hallelujah! Someone has finally created a portable/base radio to not only have 2m and 70 cm but 1.25 meter as well. The big radio companies have ignored this promising band for what ever reason except for p!sspoor handhelds. Finally...
Where do I buy one?

To recap, the radio will operate on the 2m (144 – 148 MHz), 1.25m (222 – 225 MHz) and 70cm (430 – 450 MHz) bands and will initially supporting DMR, D-STAR and C4FM (System Fusion) digital voice modes when it is released in Q4 2016. With subsequent software updates 2017, the radio will also support P25, dPMR, NXDN and NEXEDGE. Since the radio is essentially a Software Defined Radio (SDR), it can easily be programmed to support any new digital voice modes that hams might want to use.
:D

JASII

Memory Capacity
DV4mobile: A New Multi Digital Format Mobile (DMR, NXDN, YSF, P25, Etc)

Have there been any updates on this lately?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Not "vaporware" but truly "expensiveware..." At a projected MSRP of >$1,000.00 USD, it's well out of my wallet's range!

N8OHU

Hallelujah! Someone has finally created a portable/base radio to not only have 2m and 70 cm but 1.25 meter as well. The big radio companies have ignored this promising band for what ever reason except for p!sspoor handhelds. Finally...
Where do I buy one?

:D
Not ignoring it as such; the band in question is not currently available to hams outside of IARU Region 2, where the majority of buyers for Amateur Radio equipment live, so they don't generally include transmit capabilities for the band even if the radio model can receive it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

N8OHU

Dayton was 6 months ago. Where is this radio? Christmas is coming.
Well, all the Wireless Holdings site says is 4th Quarter 2016, so we still have a little over a month to go before we can legitimately complain about delayed availability. ;)

Delta33

Well, all the Wireless Holdings site says is 4th Quarter 2016, so we still have a little over a month to go before we can legitimately complain about delayed availability. ;)

They said availibility would Be the 4th quarter of 2016 SO are we not already there ?? Like I said, someones Wild imagination!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Only 20 watts output? What a huge disappointment for a radio that boasts so much to be all that!

Mike

Golay

I'll be first to admit I know little of the DV4 stuff. So if there's a hole in my thinking here, feel free to critique. But I've been wondering why someone hasn't come out with an amp that will bring the 12 milliwatt output of a DV4mini dongle up to a couple of watts. Enough to feed a decent gain antenna.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'll be first to admit I know little of the DV4 stuff. So if there's a hole in my thinking here, feel free to critique. But I've been wondering why someone hasn't come out with an amp that will bring the 12 milliwatt output of a DV4mini dongle up to a couple of watts. Enough to feed a decent gain antenna.
The cost of such an amp would be way higher than any DV4 owner would care to pay...

...since unlike analog transmissions which are continuous, TDMA transmissions switch very rapidly on and off as long as the PTT key is held down. The ramp-up timing is supercritical, and low cost components simply cannot cope with such demands.

djs13pa

Only 20 watts output? What a huge disappointment for a radio that boasts so much to be all that!

Mike

I initially thought the same. So I decided to do an experiment and have been driving around with my V/UHF rig on 25w (closest setting) to see what life is like. In my highly urbanized, repeater dense area I usually use 3-5 unique repeaters a week. For the most part I can still use those repeaters but I do notice some shadows that make it a bit rougher to hit the machine. Obviously, simplex and working DX repeaters is another story. Overall though, I've made only minor tweaks to my operating habits.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Even on simplex, do not expect much difference, its a shade over 3dB less power than a 50/45 watt mobile. It's not a deal beaker for me, the lack of a remote head is more of a deal breaker than the power output

ButchGone

I sure hope they beta test and ensure this unit actually performs as advertised. The DV4mini stick is a disaster with DSTAR. Asking a thousand bucks? Some brass cojones, considering the price of amateur gear going down, not to mention the cheap Chinese knockoff brands flooding the market. I wish them luck.
BG..

Status
Not open for further replies.