General DMR programming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I'm a noobie when it comes to DMR. If I purchase a MD-380, program it myself can I be on the air?

Also can I make contacts just in the area of that repeater, or the entire zone, or the entire state?

Do I need to join a club or group, pay an access fee?

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'm a noobie when it comes to DMR. If I purchase a MD-380, program it myself can I be on the air?

Also can I make contacts just in the area of that repeater, or the entire zone, or the entire state?

1. Yes, as long as you have a valid amateur license. :)

2. You can make contacts either local, state wide, region wide, or world wide, depending on what specific Talk Groups (TGs) the repeater owner/trustee has made available.

For example:
Dayton (North & South repeaters)

1. Local
  2. Statewide
  3. Midwest (Region)
  4. UA113 (PTT)
  5. North America
  6. World Wide (English)
  7. World Wide (Global)
  8. Meter (audio testing)
Columbus

1. Statewide
  2. DCI 1 (PTT)
  3. Comm 1 (PTT)
  4. North America
  5. World Wide (Global)
  6. Comm 2 (PTT)
  7. DCI 2 (PTT)
  8. Midwest
  9. Bridge
Cincinnati

1. Local
  2. Midwest
  3. Statewide
  4. UA 113 (PTT)
  5. North America
  6. World Wide (English)
  7. World Wide (Global)
  8. Meter (audio testing)
Cincinnati (North?)

1. World Wide (Global)
  2. World Wide (English)
  3. North America
  4. Local
  5. Statewide
  6. Midwest
  7. Bridge
  8. TAC 1
  9. TAC 310
  10. Meter (audio testing)
  11. Local Rpt
  12. TAC 311
  13. Parrot (audio testing)
3. Normally no membership is required, although all repeater owners/trustees would always welcome donations! :)

wolverine

N4GIX covered it. I would recommend you getting into DMR!.

You will need to register your call sign on the DMR MARC web site.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
One major advantage we have here in Indiana is that all the repeaters on the Hoosier DMR Network have a common "template" of Talk Groups, which makes seamless roaming on Motorola gear possible.

Although the automatic roaming is not available on non-Motorola equipment, it is still a HUGE advantage knowing that "Channel 4" is always going to be the "Midwest" TG on any Hoosier DMR repeater!

One of the major (and it truly is MAJOR!) failings of DMR in general is the lack of commonality of Talk Groups among the thousand+ repeaters here in North America, as well as the others throughout the world.

Many DMR owners/trustees complain that too many folks are camping out for long rag-chewing sessions on TGs that are supposed to be "calling groups" (such as North America, Worldwide English, and WW Global...

...yet offer few if any of the alternative PTT Talk Groups that are available. Just in the examples above note that while the Columbus repeater does offer four PTT groups, no other repeater listed has those particular TGs! Meaning that folks in Columbus cannot have a peer-to-peer connection with other repeaters in Ohio!

Even stranger, the Columbus repeater doesn't even offer a "Local" Talk Group, so users there must use Statewide or Midwest to communicate city-to-city within the state...

...or even simply across town! :roll:

N5TWB

Registered my call sign and have a MD-380 on the way.

That's the way to do it - jump in with both feet prepared to try something new and maybe learn a little along the way. I love our local and state DMR network plus the MD-380 is a fine little radio. I get great coverage with mine just using an external antenna when mobile. Hope you got the power plug to use the car's accessory plug. It's great not to have to think about the battery charge status.

Status
Not open for further replies.