What Radios Currently Are Dual Band With Digital Or Single Band With Multiple Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, what are my current choices for radios that are dual band, VHF and UHF, and will do DMR? I am aware that the Motorola APX7000, etc., will do APCO P25, Icom D-Star radios are dual band, and Yaesu System Fusion radios are available as dual band. I have even followed some of the Connect System postings, but as it stands today, are there any dual band radios that will do DMR?

If not, is anybody reported to be even close? I would love to see a dual band, multiple digital format radio, but the pessimist in me feels that will never happen.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there are any DMR dual band radio's or mult-mode radio's. There have been several supposedly in the works for a long time but none have actually appeared in the market place. Maybe someone else can offer more information.
BB

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Dual band digital

D Star and Fusion are strictly ham digital modes, and the reason for the available expensive dual band radios. DMR, P25, and NXDN are commercial/professional digital modes and except for the newer P25 are single band radios. Motorola makes multiband P25 radios, but the cost is in thousands of dollars. DMR has become popular with many hams, and is the reason for some very affordable handhelds.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Kenwood NX-5000 line of Part 90 radios will soon be available with up to two digital voice modes in addition to conventional analog: either P25/DMR, P25/NXDN, or DMR/NXDN. The NX-5000 mobiles can be built up as a dual-band radio with a single control head.

Extensive discussion of the NX-5000 DMR option can be found here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/kenwood-forum/328161-kenwood-nx-5000-dmr.html

Note, this is not an inexpensive solution to the OP's question.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
NX-5000 mobiles can be built up as a dual-band radio with a single control head.

The NX-5x00 series can have three RF decks connected to either one or two control heads, if needed it can be VHF/UHF/700MHz/800MHz.

If you needed full UHF coverage I believe you could have a UHF-lo and UHF-hi bricks with either VHF or 7/800MHz

Either way, not a cheap way to go multi and, but likely less than a APX multi and mobile.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
As posted above, what are my current choices for radios that are dual band, VHF and UHF, and will do DMR? I am aware that the Motorola APX7000, etc., will do APCO P25, Icom D-Star radios are dual band, and Yaesu System Fusion radios are available as dual band. I have even followed some of the Connect System postings, but as it stands today, are there any dual band radios that will do DMR?

If not, is anybody reported to be even close? I would love to see a dual band, multiple digital format radio, but the pessimist in me feels that will never happen.

Until the Kenwood upgrade to the NX-5xxx series actually hits the market, there are none. Unless you look at the baoturd dual and DMR portable...

wrath

There is one coming out by the end of the year that will be tri band 2/220/70 cm that will do every ham mode as well as DMR and P 25 phase 1 with a planned future update to NXDN .it is been said to be in the $1500 dollar range , it SDR based and 40 watts .they also make dstar dongles with and without raspberry pi so with a mic it can be it's own "radio" .The caveat is look at the thread below about the dongles and the unhappy customers and figure out if your gonna gamble $1500, I was excited till I started reading that thread and now will wait a long time before thinking about it again.

Wirelessholdings.org

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

N4KVE

Lets try to not speculate on radios that do not exist yet. The wirelessholdings radio at Dayton was NOT a working model. Sure, the display lit up, but nobody actually used their radio to talk to the sample at Dayton. After all, the CS7000 was supposed to be released 3 years ago, & it still does not exist. When they get here, & have hundreds of buyers who all say the radio is perfect, then they will exist. After all, nobody wants to be the first person to buy a brand new product, & be a test monkey, or lab rat after paying big bucks for an unknown product.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There is one coming out by the end of the year that will be tri band 2/220/70 cm that will do every ham mode as well as DMR and P 25 phase 1 with a planned future update to NXDN .it is been said to be in the $1500 dollar range , it SDR based and 40 watts .they also make dstar dongles with and without raspberry pi so with a mic it can be it's own "radio" .

Wirelessholdings.org

But is it CURRENTLY on the market???

wrath

Currently negative although on Sept 30 Rfinder is supposed to release a 70 cm HT with an android phone built in so as they say it's point and click at the machine you want to use and it programs itself , it has a intro video on you tube with the countdown clock till launch on the 30th. Being that it's not in our hands yet no one is able to give you pros or cons of a cell phone DMR sandwich, I also have not heard a price point.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The RFinder radio is UHF only; 400-480MHz, and list price is $795.

The only dual-band option currently available is the Baofeng DM-5R, which has just started shipping, and has some teething issues if Tier II DMR is important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.