RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 2:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default New to DMR

This is totally new to me, but can you take one radio, copy the codeplug and upload to another radio, where the radios are operating in the digital mode simplex? In analog theory, this would work. I have been trying to program two Baofeng dm-5rs for 3 or 4 days. I can not get the radios to talk to each other. Analog fine, digital no. One can talk to a tyt 390 but the other can not with ther exact same code plug from the one that does talk to the 390. Really not sure what settings are for simplex other than I got some setting, trial and error to work.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2017, 2:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Although I've never done much with DMR simplex, I've heard that two radios with the same ID can't communicate via simplex. I'm not sure if that is true or not but it might be something worth investigating. perhaps temporarily changing the ID of one of the radios during your simplex testing. You should take precautions to ensure that you don't inadvertently transmit on a repeater with the wrong ID however.
Old 01-11-2017, 3:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It may depend on the specific radio and firmware version, but many DMR radios will talk to each other if they have the same ID.
Old 01-11-2017, 3:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can program multiple radios with the same code plug but each radio need its own distinct id.
Old 01-11-2017, 4:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Even if simplex, not on DMARC?
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2017, 7:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3aaa View Post
You can program multiple radios with the same code plug but each radio need its own distinct id.
No. You can program multiple radios with the same ID, and the system will not be able to distinguish them. If you have a HT and a mobile, you can program both with the same ID, and if that ID is linked to your call sign, other users on the network will see your ID/call sign when you key up.

The only issue is that if you try to use both radios on the network at the same time, the HT and mobile may not be able to talk to each other. TYT radios with the same ID will happily talk to each other on simplex, but other brands may not. YMMV, IANAL, TANSTAAFL, etc.

If you plan on using 2 radios simultaneously, it's best practice to get each one its own ID. But if they aren't likely to be powered on at the same time, it's really not necessary.
Old 01-11-2017, 9:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a DMARC id but for now just trying to talk to another HT simplex. Different id's, but the units if the same brand, will not generate audio though they do indicate a signal being received by the receive green light.I actually got three of the same brand, I loaned one to a friend and I have two. Trying to create a satisfactory code plug, which I can send to him and he can install.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You have an error in your programming if your radios won't talk to each other simplex. What brand radio? Post the codeplug?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

tHEY ARE bAOFENG DM-5R UNITS. ONE IS A DM-5R AND THE OTHER IS A DM-5R+. I believe they are the same codeplug, where the dm-5r_+will talk to my TYT 3900 and the dm-5r does not. All I have changed in code plugs was the radio name and the id, everything else remains the same.

=
Old 01-12-2017, 2:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default code plug

Here is the code plug that I am using. I works for the dm-5r+, on the dm-5r's, 2 of them, it indicates a signal so it is receiving but no audio. The dm-5r+ receives and has audio and will transmit to a TYT 390. The code plug has been loaded into all the Baofengs, Each radio transmits one a time. Since its the same code plug, I am thinking that my two dm.d5 units are bad for digital. The dm-5r has audio on analog but not on digital. The plus has audio with the exact same code plug the regular radios have.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MASTER1.zip (3.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-12-2017, 6:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The DM-5R has non-standard implementation of DMR that TXs on both time slots. The "plus" version has a firmware fix that allows it to communicate with non-Baofeng DMR radios, but it still cannot comm with a repeater without spamming both timeslots.
Old 01-12-2017, 6:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

not too worried about the repeater function as there is only one DMR repeater around here and I am out of range for it. I am slowly coming to a thought that the dm-5r's have a problem where the plus version does not. Same code plug for all the radios, the dm-5r's just will not talk to each other or talk to another brand, which the plus version does. Well they key up other like radios but do not produce any audio.
Old 01-12-2017, 7:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The non-plus radios are pretty much useless digitally.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

well I agree, found out that the dm-5r radios have to be upgraded but the dm-5r radiuos will talk to other dm-5r's but not to aNY other radio, like the TYT 390 or the dm-5r+ radios. The upgrade makes the radios to the dm-5r + standards. I wish the advertising would have said this very clearly, would have saved me several days of dinking with a codeplug. So ordered the upgrade and that will solve the problem. I know that they still are Radio prohibetur
+