DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
So there are now more DMR systems in Maine and I want to give it a try. Whats a good starter DMR radio to buy handheld or base doesn't matter.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
TYT MD-380 or 390 are popular options. The 390 has a more rugged waterproof case than the 380, but other than that, they are essentially the same radio.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I'm a Motorola fan, but did pick up an MD390 in VHF to try out. Not a bad radio. The TYT programming software leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you are used to Motorola CPS

bharvey2

Assuming the DMR systems you mentioned are HAM systems? Connect Systems in California also makes some good radios. I have their CS700, CS750 and CS800. The latter two offer the ability to monitor DMR activity without programming all of the specifics like specific talkgroups. They really nice people to work with. Look them up online or even better, give them a call.

N4KVE

Assuming the DMR systems you mentioned are HAM systems? Connect Systems in California also makes some good radios. I have their CS700, CS750 and CS800. The latter two offer the ability to monitor DMR activity without programming all of the specifics like specific talkgroups. They really nice people to work with. Look them up online or even better, give them a call.
I agree The TYT radios are the cheapest known to man. While I have Motorola, & Hytera radios, which are the best, the radios from Connect Systems are a lot cheaper than the Motorola, but light years better than the TYT radios. Also Connect Systems has great customer service in the USA, while TYT has none. So if a Motorola costs more than you want to spend, go with Connect Systems.

wqtz773

kudos for CS800

Have to agree. The first DMR radio that I bought was the TYT MD-380. Nice for the price. WOrks well and does its job very well. Made the mistake of uploading the firmware "improvement" for the radio. It took all of my call list and made it into unobtainium. The radio still works great even though getting call information from my call list is unavailable; not really a problem that can't be lived with. Nice beginners' radio, though as its very reliable and easy to use.

I have just bought a Connect System CS 800 and cannot say enough good about that radio. Looks just like my Kenwood TM-281-a and works very well, also. Its been a really easy to program and use. Would recommend one of them to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.