Anyone have / is buying the CS-800D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am interested in hearing from anyone that has / is buying a Connect Systems CS-800D dual band DMR radio ?

N4KVE

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has / is buying a Connect Systems CS-800D dual band DMR radio ?
i have been following this topic on their site. Most buyers are pleased, but a few report the VHF side is deaf. Plenty of comments from owners on the Facebook group.

tedlaw

I bought one of the 2nd batch of radios in August 2017. So far been happy with the radio. Needs some software improvements such as individual tx audio deviation adjustments for each analog band. CSI, seem to respond favorable to suggesting improvements and have reported that they are working on improving the software functions.

Receiver sensitivity is as good as my other Japanese major brand analog radios. Audio on transmit and receiver is good in both DMR and Analog.

Yapper

I doubt this has cross band repeat but can it listen to both VHF and UHF at the same time? What about if you want to listen to analog on one of the bands? What about if you're transmitting, will it listen to the other band while you're transmitting?

tedlaw

No, you can only receive one station at a time. It will not cross band. You can scan a mix of DMR, Analog and VHF, UHF signals.

W2PDX

The head is smaller than you might think... only about 6 inches wide by 1.5 inches high.

-John AC4JK

Are you using the remote head set-up? If so, can you post a pic of the remote head mounting set-up?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Are you using the remote head set-up? If so, can you post a pic of the remote head mounting set-up?

Sorry - I am not using the head in a remote configuration... I just offered the measurements as requested.

If you are looking for information regarding a remote mount of the CS800 / 800D, I have seen some related discussions on the Connect Systems Facebook page.

-John AC4JK

beischel

Great radio

i have been following this topic on their site. Most buyers are pleased, but a few report the VHF side is deaf. Plenty of comments from owners on the Facebook group.

I have it and it is great. The comment about VHF being deaf is simply not true at all. Works very well on VHF and analog. Very happy with the radio.

I did have the TYT MD-9600 and returned that radio. It is a complete train wreck with hardware and firmware issues. Avoid it. It's sister handheld radio, the MD2017 is also a piece of junk. Antenna connector breaks easily and people hate the track ball. I would also avoid. TYT has no US based service so don't pay a high price for an unsupported radio from TYT....unless they come down to around $100 when it is worth the risk and become a throw-away if it fails.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Here are a few shots of a remote head mount in my 2004 Tacoma. Pardon the other mess. That truck is a nightmare for radio mounting. You'll laugh at me but I very carefully drilled the mount into the perimeter of a Radio Shack powered speaker that I use for the in dash 996XT I have. The speaker still works fine, and the remote head is in a good spot for me. I didn't want it up high with Cat 5 cable running all over the place.

I love the radio overall; have two of them, one in the house and this one in the truck. They're not perfect but for the price an excellent digital/analog dual band option.

Edit: I neglected to note that the radio itself is "mounted" under the passenger seat. I added quotes because it's basically just sitting on the floor for now.

Attachments

• 20171111_152002.jpg
    20171111_152002.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,012
  • 20171111_151929.jpg
    20171111_151929.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,956
Last edited:

W2PDX

Thanks, that actually looks great! Would you mind taking a pic of the back of the remote head to show the actual mount? That's what I'm looking to get a better view of. I have a Tundra which is also a PITA for mounting (as is any new vehicle with a full center console). Currently running an XPR-5550E (UHF) with the HHCH and thinking about an 800D for VHF & redundant UHF capabilities.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'll try to do that over the weekend. The remote head does not easily come apart from the mount, and it's a bit of a chore to get the CAT5 cable bent in a good direction without crimping it, but it works out. As an aside, and although it's probably obvious, use SHIELDED CAT5 or better cable, un-shielded has caused some apparent issues for users.

I'm happy that they chose to have the mic jack on the remote head, so many other amateur manufacturers seem to keep it on the actual radio body. This install is working out well for me thus far. If I'm reprogramming I just pull it out from under the seat, set the laptop on the seat, and off I go.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If I'm reprogramming I just pull it out from under the seat, set the laptop on the seat, and off I go.
I have a CS800 for now, and have the chassis 'mounted' under the pax seat as well. I simply left the programming cable connected so all I have to do is pull the USB end out and plug it into my lap top.

W2PDX

I'll try to do that over the weekend. The remote head does not easily come apart from the mount, and it's a bit of a chore to get the CAT5 cable bent in a good direction without crimping it, but it works out.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I've seen one pic of the rear of the remote head and it was mounted what appeared to be a Panavise flexible goose neck-style mount. I wish they had designed it with a standard |_| bracket but as long as it supports a standard AMPS pattern it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a decent looking mounting option.

I'm happy that they chose to have the mic jack on the remote head, so many other amateur manufacturers seem to keep it on the actual radio body. This install is working out well for me thus far. If I'm reprogramming I just pull it out from under the seat, set the laptop on the seat, and off I go.

I agree 100%. I wish every manufacturer would attach the mic to the remote head vs the brick. Glad to hear reports of the VHF side being deaf is just internet lore, or, maybe more accurately, limited to a small number of radios.

scannerowner

I have a 2015 Ford Fusion, which has a great place to mount radios. I have a BCD996T in the trunk with an Anytone 588uv. The remote heads are mounted perfectly in the opening of the dash. I hope to upgrade to the BCD996P2 and CS800. My problem is that the CS800 is bigger than my Anytone, so I hope it works!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I sure hope Connect Systems vendor can get the firmware straightened out on these CS800D radios. Against my better judgment I bought one of these. The firmware is loaded with bugs. They are slowly fixing them but it's at a snails pace. Really was hoping for a usable dual band DMR radio instead of having two rigs in the car. This CS800D has been a big let down so far. It still sitting on my work bench waiting for some firmware that works.

They managed to screw up the CS750 radios with the last version of firmware so bad Connect Systems had to disable the download links. Cannot revert back to a working version apparently. So now I have two almost completely useless radios. Yay !

box23

I sure hope Connect Systems vendor can get the firmware straightened out on these CS800D radios. Against my better judgment I bought one of these. The firmware is loaded with bugs. They are slowly fixing them but it's at a snails pace. Really was hoping for a usable dual band DMR radio instead of having two rigs in the car. This CS800D has been a big let down so far. It still sitting on my work bench waiting for some firmware that works.

They managed to screw up the CS750 radios with the last version of firmware so bad Connect Systems had to disable the download links. Cannot revert back to a working version apparently. So now I have two almost completely useless radios. Yay !

Do you have a list of bugs in the CS800D? I can't say I've seen a detailed list, and I've only had enough time to so some basic programming on mine.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
They have fixed a lot of bugs so far but the two major bugs right now are missed transmissions when parked on an active TG. The other is TG scan. It's useless right now with the current firmware. It seems both are related in some way.

I'd hold off if you're planning a large code plug for your radio. Connect System's supplier of these radios (Covalue) has stated a newer version of CPS will be released with the ability to put 160 channels in a zone. This will make programming much easier. They also mentioned TG roaming was coming. I wish they would just make what we have already work as it should.

I'm guessing in the coming days there will be another round of firmware for the CD800D and CS750 for us all to beta test.

Status
Not open for further replies.