DMR Simplex ARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonaustin

Does DMR ARS work over simplex? Basically is it possible for a bunch of radios operating simplex mode to "see" what other radio ids are powered on and listening to a channel?

N2AL

Good question! I don't know the answer but I am commenting so I can keep up with updates as someone comes along and comments!

I would take a guess though that it depends on the radio, possibly. Kind of like GM mode on Yaesu System Fusion. It "pings" radios on a digital frequency or repeater.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Listening, no. But you can log radio IDs when users key up.

wrath

I concur with N2AL Yaesu has always had a dedicated recognition capability of nearby radios (other Yaesu radios) I do not believe any other radios have that feature set out of the box ,since DMR was LMR service until discontinued by mother M and hams have found a way to repurpose the equipment and there are now cheap copies of cheap copies from the Chinese I doubt seriously that unless and until a dedicated set of features was agreed upon by say the A.R.R.L or IARU that a certain feature set including ARS became a standard nobody is going to standardize that ,and if someone did do that it would require everyone to replace there rig with one that met the standard ,we hams are notoriously cheap so many would not upgrade radios till there current one fried ,and companies like the producers of CCR will only make cheap copies of certain radios that they can mass produce at the lowest cost , so its likely if they can't get a chip to handle that feature they will drop the line of radios entirely thus limiting cheap copies and driving up cost . That's just my opinion and when you consider the big three can't embrace a single digital protocol and not all radios are even capable of APRS between models let alone brands Kenwood & Yaesu make a bunch of radio that have it but not all, Icom continues with DPRS but doesnt embrace APRS at all in any radio , and this doesnt even address the problem of personal radio choice, put any ten guys in a room and you might not see any two radios a like, but if you want that feature with friends and you can get everyone to buy a Yaesu fusion and something like an openspot that transcodes to DMR you can do it , the only other way i know of is using APRS equiped radios with a 100 Pl tone if a friend is within simplex range and they drop there call you will hear them and can go to designated channel and chew the rag but yet again this actually requires you all to have Yaesu if you want to be able to do DMR but if you all have Yaesu you won't need APRS to do group location monitoring ,so ultimately it's kind of an exercise in futility. And unless some ham is building them in his garage I also don't think DMR is going to stay around because eventually the repeaters will be beyond repair ,and if no one is making them there will be no replacing failed repeaters. If you know something i dont feel free to share.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.