RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default What is you Echolink Simplex Frequency?

On which simplex frequency do you operate your Echolink Node?

Brandon
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2018, 3:41 AM

Not on Echolink, but I do a lot of driving and use the simplex frequencies between vehicles. I've had a quite a few Echolink users/owners get upset because we were on "their" frequency as we passed through the area.

I wish the ARRL/Repeater Coordinators, whoever, would get their act together and come up with a workable band plan that reflected technology from this millennium. . If they are going to take on simplex frequencies for internet linking, then pick a slice of spectrum and make it happen.

Had one locally that seemed to get it's frequency changed every few days. Not sure if they were trying to avoid interference, or doing their best to piss off the widest number of people in the area.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My advice is:

Check if your regional frequency coordinator has a band plan for RoIP node use. They probably don't but ask anyway.

Don't use the national simplex channels (52.525, 146.52, 223.5, 446.0).

If your area has lots of traffic on commonly used simplex channels just above and below the national/calling channels like 146.46-146.58 or 446.0-446.1 then don't use those.

Don't use the weak signal subbands.

Don't use the satellite subbands.

Don't use repeater inputs.

If the frequency coordinator or regional band plan has subbands for crossband repeat then avoid those.

If the frequency coordinator or regional band plan has subbands for point-to-point links then avoid those unless you know there are none anywhere near you.

Make sure your node has PL or DCS on receive.

Don't use the same PL/DCS as any repeaters in your area.

I picked a frequency between 438-440 MHz becuase it's outside of the satellite and weak signal areas and in a range where Part 97 allows both repeater and auxiliary operation. I listened/recorded for a couple weeks to make sure the frequency was vacant first and I know there are no point-to-point links, ATV or anything else there.

You can look on the EchoLink, IRLP and Allstar web sites and find what frequencies the nodes in your area are using. That might help you to pick or avoid frequencies.

Last edited by nd5y; 01-12-2018 at 8:07 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 9:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Not on Echolink, but I do a lot of driving and use the simplex frequencies between vehicles. I've had a quite a few Echolink users/owners get upset because we were on "their" frequency as we passed through the area.

I wish the ARRL/Repeater Coordinators, whoever, would get their act together and come up with a workable band plan that reflected technology from this millennium. . If they are going to take on simplex frequencies for internet linking, then pick a slice of spectrum and make it happen.

Had one locally that seemed to get it's frequency changed every few days. Not sure if they were trying to avoid interference, or doing their best to piss off the widest number of people in the area.
Agree 100%.....
Old 01-12-2018, 9:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have mine parked on 145.520......
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

Also agree with mmckenna. Some of those operators are acting like cbers when they call claim to a frequency. ARRL and coordinators, getting the message?!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Slightly more annoying…
Here in California, the agreed upon simplex channel spacing (according to the ARRL repeater guide) is 15KHz. An Echolink node in an area I pass through frequently has decided to ignore that and use a 20KHz step. The owner comes on the air and told us we were all "off frequency" and "low deviation". The guy carried on for some time and never seemed to figure it out.
Old 01-12-2018, 1:15 PM

Is there a web page online that lists them and allows one to monitor them for activity?
Old 01-12-2018, 1:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For EchoLink you can look for -L and -R (link and repeater) nodes at EchoLink Link Status.
This only works if the sysop set the location and configured other information properly. It doesn't show all nodes.

Only a few EchoLink nodes have online feeds. This something the owners do and not a part of EchoLink. As far as I know there is no web site that lists all of them.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
For EchoLink you can look for -L and -R (link and repeater) nodes at EchoLink Link Status.
This only works if the sysop set the location and configured other information properly. It doesn't show all nodes.

Only a few EchoLink nodes have online feeds. This something the owners do and not a part of EchoLink. As far as I know there is no web site that lists all of them.
Interesting. It would be very helpful if hams could see where activity was taking place, or perhaps even monitor the Echolink QSOs online!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post

You can also at the top of the page type in the city and state where you live and it will show all the connected Links and Repeaters.....
Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good Conversation and valid points. I am familiar with Echolink and have operated a simplex node for a while. I recently moved the location of my Echolink Station to provide better coverage into the town and area that I live in. Since then I have been informed that I am transmitting a much further distance than I am trying to cover with my Station. Looking at changing a few things including decreasing my Transmit Power as well as possibly a lower or unity gain antenna with greater horizontal beam width. I may end up having to find a new/different frequency to use.

Brandon
Old 01-14-2018, 8:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why was this thread moved? Echolink is not "digital voice".
Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Why was this thread moved? Echolink is not "digital voice".
It is VoIP related......

Last edited by kb5zcs; 01-14-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Old 01-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The description of this forum is: "Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc." This forum is not limited to systems that use digitized voice over the air.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU