RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 8:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well most people consider Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, & Alinco quality, well made radios that have been around for years, & have factory authorized US sales, & service centers, who are the sole importers, & distributors of these radios in the USA. The other Johnny come lately companies like TYT, Ailunce, CSI, Radioddity, Retevis, and others do not have a sole factory authorized sales, & service center like the first four I mentioned. They are cheaply made sub standard radios, & anyone who wants to send $ to China can buy 24 radios, & sell them in the USA. But what happens when a guy buys 24 from China, sells them all, & 4 get returned because they were defective? He only bought, & sold 24, & has no more. Now the retail purchaser of those 4 bad radios has to send them back to China to have them repaired.

Last edited by N4KVE; 12-06-2018 at 8:52 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Now that makes total sense. The Chinese have been known to buy an existing product, and copy it 100%. That way they spend $0 in R,&D. So since the ALINCO already exists, & an identical Anytone does not, should one come to market in the future, it would be a knock off of the ALINCO which existed first. But comparing the circuitry of the newest ALINCO, & Anytone DMR radios, there is absolutely nothing similar between them.
I don't dispute that no current Anytone DMR resembles the Alinco in question. I mis-stated and apologize.

As to Anytone copying Alinco... I suspect that is not the case and it is a cooperation in design/manufacturing/something. The manuals are so close to identical, right down to errors and Chinglish. The boards are the exact same. Some connectors change, some buttons change, and firmware changes but the models (at least the DJ-500 and AT3318UV-A and some others) are too exact in attributes and quality to be simply a matter of Anytone copying Alinco. I do not believe that Anytone is copying Alinco. I believe that Anytone and Alinco are collaborating to some degree on certain models. IMHO, this is not a bad thing. Sometimes, the Alinco version is less expensive than the Anytone version. REMTronics is an awesome company and I have mad respect for them. Of all the current less-expensive China radio models available, I have great confidence in genuine Anytone products. Those two labels are currently my favorite affordable transceiver manufacturers. So, nothing that I am posting is intended to diminish Alinco in any way. I recommend Alinco products all of the time.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Anytone probably builds and ships more radios in a week than Alinco has in its entire history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Now that makes total sense. The Chinese have been known to buy an existing product, and copy it 100%. That way they spend $0 in R,&D. So since the ALINCO already exists, & an identical Anytone does not, should one come to market in the future, it would be a knock off of the ALINCO which existed first. But comparing the circuitry of the newest ALINCO, & Anytone DMR radios, there is absolutely nothing similar between them.
Old 12-08-2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Anytone probably builds and ships more radios in a week than Alinco has in its entire history.
I hadn't thought about that before but you are probably right!