RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Digital Voice Decoding Software

Digital Voice Decoding Software For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats such as P25, NXDN, MotoTRBO, etc. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1KK View Post
Besides Bob,

is anyone else using the RTL USB dongle with dsd ? I am not having much
luck decoding APCO. I believe my settings are exactly the same as BOB but still no
decode for more than a couple words then drop out.

Ken
N1KK
I responded to your email..
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Ken,

Good idea. To make it easy I've just posted screen caps of all the SDRSharp settings while receiving P25:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...7zIxk2b7o/edit

Note this is for version 451 which has the "minimumsamplerate" key set to 48000. The AutoTuner version(s) produce the same audio results with these settings.

73, Bob W9RAN
Old 07-23-2012, 1:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Welcome, Dave. Don't worry, I've always got one up on you when it comes to feelin stupid.

Did you get it to work?

Mike
I haven't had a chance to try it yet. As of today, my laptop does not "see" the SDR when I plug it into a USB port. The big blue power light comes on, but the unit is not accessible via Windows.
Old 07-23-2012, 1:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default use 2 PCs for APCO

Would it be worth while to use a separate PC for the decoding? I can use my laptop
for SDRShape and take the audio from their to feed a mic input jack on the second PC running
DSD

I am wondering if my luck would be better decoding APCO since the DSD running PC would not be used
would be working just that program.

Should the higher performance of the 2 PCs be used for DSD or SDRSharpe

Ken
N1kk
Old 07-23-2012, 1:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I see problems there. DSD needs unfiltered audio.. Piping it from one to the other would probably loose frequencies needed for decode.. If the SDR# computer has a LINE OUT, and the DSD comp has LINE IN you might have a chance. But going speaker out to mic in will filter too much data out..
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2012, 1:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Settings

Hi Bob

Thanks,

The only main difference I see is you have both RTL AGC and Tuner AGC checked.
I have been testing with different combos even playing with manually setting the Tuner AGC with
no change.

On your FFT Display settings, am I correct that this would only be for viewing pleasure and
there would be no difference as far as the output audio feeding VAC then to DSD ?

I tried a few different settings there too.

I think I need to break this up into 2 PCs. One for the RTL and the other for DSD

I have a few USB sound devices I used when I was playing with Dstar. I might try
using 2 PCs.

I would set the PC running its output to direct it to the USB sound output.
How do I setup the PC running DSD to see the mic input?

Ken
N1KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9ran View Post
Hi Ken,

Good idea. To make it easy I've just posted screen caps of all the SDRSharp settings while receiving P25:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...7zIxk2b7o/edit

Note this is for version 451 which has the "minimumsamplerate" key set to 48000. The AutoTuner version(s) produce the same audio results with these settings.

73, Bob W9RAN
Old 07-24-2012, 8:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Tried deselecting items in MSCONFIG

I gave this a try by deselecting many programs except for my Viruis protection and ZoneAlarm.
I might next try deselecting ZoneAlarm next and see if it makes a difference.

So far not really any improvement. Still getting maybe a few words then drop out.

Ken
N1KK
Old 07-24-2012, 8:37 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I gave this a try by deselecting many programs except for my Viruis protection and ZoneAlarm.
I might next try deselecting ZoneAlarm next and see if it makes a difference.

So far not really any improvement. Still getting maybe a few words then drop out.

Ken
N1KK
What is your CPU in your primary computer that you run DSD on? Also, are you running the version of DSD with the DMR Filter. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but its a hands down winner for me over the DSD without the DMR filter. At least it is a night and day difference for monitoring TRBO. I can't really say if the version with the filter gives better decodes on P25. And I assume there is some price to pay in terms of CPU hits with the filter in place.... it's probably negligible.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 07-24-2012, 8:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ditto Mike's comments about DSDF vs. DSD on TRBO. I just ordered a replacement for my RTL-8250 and a quad core computer, so I should be back in operation by the weekend.
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default What I use

The PC I use to run SDRSharpe, DSD and VAC on with my RTL dongle is a 3.4GHz Dual Core with
4Gigs of Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I have been playing with both DSD and DSD w. Filter. I seem to notice maybe an improvement
with the Filtered version but I am still way off from good audio recovery.

Ken
N1KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
What is your CPU in your primary computer that you run DSD on? Also, are you running the version of DSD with the DMR Filter. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but its a hands down winner for me over the DSD without the DMR filter. At least it is a night and day difference for monitoring TRBO. I can't really say if the version with the filter gives better decodes on P25. And I assume there is some price to pay in terms of CPU hits with the filter in place.... it's probably negligible.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The PC I use to run SDRSharpe, DSD and VAC on with my RTL dongle is a 3.4GHz Dual Core with
4Gigs of Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I have been playing with both DSD and DSD w. Filter. I seem to notice maybe an improvement
with the Filtered version but I am still way off from good audio recovery.

Ken
N1KK
I think the apps really only benefit from multi-core machines if those machines are also hyperthreading. If you CPU does not have hyperthreading, that would make the difference.

If your machine does have hyperthreading, I would suspect that a 3.4 Ghz dual core hyperrthreading machine should be able to run SDRSharp / DSD / and VAC without the CPU being a limiting factor on decode quality.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 07-29-2012, 2:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am now successfully decoding Provoice! My county's public safety agencies are all on an EDACS system w/ Provoice on most talkgroups (Fire is analog). I am using a Dell tower PC with the windows DSD port. I had to crank up the input level on my line-in, but once I did that it worked well. A little garbled, but I can live with it. I am monitoring with a PSR-800, by the way. Thanks to all the great info in this thread.
Old 09-20-2012, 8:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have DSD on my Toshiba L305-D 5928 laptop an it works great decoding mototrbo I am running a usb sound card on the laptop for the sudio out and the input from my Pro-163 disc output to the mic in on the laptop. I installed DSD on my HP desk top dsd worked ok but it seems to work best with 2 sound cards. I tried dsd on my old dell with XP an it would not decode anything I have 512MB ram in the old dell the 512mb would just not do it , the desk top an the laptop has 3gb ram an the more memory in the computer the better dsd will work If my laptop had a line input dsd work work better.The Provoice decodes great picking up the OKCPD on the OKC edacs system 80 miles away I have to put my pro 163 in the manual mode to pick up the provoice .... Great Program that really works...

Last edited by ecollins11; 09-20-2012 at 9:28 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 9:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default DSD4WINV2 Link

I've been trying for a few days now to download the DSD package for windows. Evidently the minus.com file server no longer works. Does anyone know of another link to the software? Or if anyone has a zipped copy they can just email me, it certainly would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrebel54 View Post
I've been trying for a few days now to download the DSD package for windows. Evidently the minus.com file server no longer works. Does anyone know of another link to the software? Or if anyone has a zipped copy they can just email me, it certainly would be appreciated.
I can email it to ya. PM me your email address -- don't post it here. What version you want? I've got 1.4.1, 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 Beta. I'd see no reason why you would want anything other than 1.6.0 Beta, but it's your choice.

If I email it to you and your computer blows up / gets a virus or your dog dies, I am not responsible.

mike

Sponsored links

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're going to need cygwin1.dll. I don't know that I can distribute it, so I won't. You can install Cygwin from Cygwin

Here is a link to DSD 1.4.1, 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 Beta:

Index of DSD

NOTE: If anyone downloads these files and then suddenly their computer blows up / gets a virus, their dog dies, or some other oddball crap, it wasn't me and I take no responsibility. When you download it you assume ALL responsibility.

Mike

Last edited by mtindor; 11-11-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will PM my reply.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The board says I don't have permission to PM anyone, so I guess I'll download from the link you provided. No worries about blowing my computer up, dog croaking etc. I repair computers for a living.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 1:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

i can save the .imb files, but i can not play them? how would i go about doing this?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Those are data files and cannot be "played". If you want to save a recording, use the -w switch.

From the command prompt: dsd -w tbro.wav (for example)

Make sure you exit DSD with Ctrl-C when you are done. Clicking on the X will not close out the .wav file and it will not play.

Tags