RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Digital Voice Decoding Software

Digital Voice Decoding Software For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats such as P25, NXDN, MotoTRBO, etc. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 5:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes I got it. I installed cygwin,,not knowing what it actually was. Pretty nifty. I wish I would have just installed the DLL file though. I am not sure if it supposed to or not but it will not run from the exe file. I placed it in home dir and run the shell from there.

Last edited by frazpo; 01-07-2013 at 6:10 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2013, 7:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default DSD Windows Port

ok have a question here, i have done all the things to make it work ( scanner tap got program to run..ect)
the screen looks like it does in the youtube videos,yes i hve a realtec soundcard :-(
but no decode comes from the external speaker, except the taped audio,
i have also tested ths with my xpr6550 and it will hardy show any thing i the decode window even on trbo smiplex i have read all the threads and setups on and off the boards, any ideas computer is a duo core
25% cpu useage,
thanks in advance
BC-350a, Pro-92b, DX-400, Pro-106 ect....
Old 02-02-2013, 7:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you are hearing the taped audio, then try reducing the input volume level. It should be so low that you cannot hear the taped audio. I know this sounds unusual, but that's how it works.
Good luck.
Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 7:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default DSD Windows Port

thank you i will give it a try :-)
BC-350a, Pro-92b, DX-400, Pro-106 ect....
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've downloaded dsd from the backup site. I installed cygwin. Still tells me that the DLL file is missing.
Any idea where I can just get the dll file needed?
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM

what worked for me: go into the cygwin folder, find cygwin1.dll, copy it out, and slap it into the same folder as DSD.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcain View Post
what worked for me: go into the cygwin folder, find cygwin1.dll, copy it out, and slap it into the same folder as DSD.
great! thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM

I had to reinstall dsd1.6 and I got this meassage:
Digital Speech Decoder 1.6.0 beta with Auto P25 & DMR Filter
mbelib version 1.2.4
Error, couldn't open /dev/audio
ioctl reset error
ioctl speed error
ioctl stereo error
ioctl setfmt error
Audio In/Out Device: /dev/audio

I made the adjustments with -i and -o but the same message pops up, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Moonbounce

Last edited by moonbounce; 04-11-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 5:04 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Try dev/dsp instead and see if that works. That's what I use.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2013, 8:00 PM

Thanks AZ, somehow I lost the "inline", I got it back everything now and everything is now working perfect. I was using a virtual audio cable, it seems to want to take over, changing parameters to suit it. Once I deleted that program it left somethings disconnected, but all is well now.

Moonbounce
Old 04-12-2013, 2:53 PM

Fellas,

Need help getting my NooElec R820T to play nice with DSD & VAC. Have tried various settings from this thread and elsewhere and cannot get very far. I believe I have a sound card config issue. I'm using SDR# v1.0.0.1126. SDR# works great on my laptop (Sony VAIO Vista SP2) but when trying to configure audio for DSD, SDR# will not process any audio.

Bottom Line is- when I configure input/output audio settings in SDR# and attempt to initiate "Play RTL-SDR" I get an error box " paUnanticipatedHostError" which does not active SDR#. I've attached a screen shot to help capture my settings. I've tried other input/output combos in SDR# with no luck. When running SDR# without trying to route via VAC, the settings that work perfectly on the laptop are :

INPUT: MME Microphone (High def audio) Output: MM Speakers (High Def Audio) ,
Control Panel Sound settings : Playback: High def audio Recording : Microphone (high def audio)

Thanks much for any ideas !!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 3:46 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Flyer:

A. SDR#

1. Make sure it works all by itself first with your Speakers as the output

2. Once you know SDR# is working itself, then:

Input: [MME] Microsoft Sound
Output: [MME] Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)

3. Make sure Filter Audio is UNcheckmarked (if you don't you'll have problems later decoding)

B. Windows Control Panel

Default Recording Device: Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable
Default Playback Device: Your speakers

C. DSD

dsd -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp

Assuming DSD starts showing stuff scrolling down the screen, wash Inlvl (Inlvl shows up on the DSD screen). Try to keep it around 30 (my personal favorite area). If it's higher or lower, adjust "AF Gain" in SDR until INLVL in DSD is around 30.

If you're monitoring TRBO, remember you may have to invert ( -xr ).

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceflyr View Post
Fellas,

Need help getting my NooElec R820T to play nice with DSD & VAC. Have tried various settings from this thread and elsewhere and cannot get very far. I believe I have a sound card config issue. I'm using SDR# v1.0.0.1126. SDR# works great on my laptop (Sony VAIO Vista SP2) but when trying to configure audio for DSD, SDR# will not process any audio.

Bottom Line is- when I configure input/output audio settings in SDR# and attempt to initiate "Play RTL-SDR" I get an error box " paUnanticipatedHostError" which does not active SDR#. I've attached a screen shot to help capture my settings. I've tried other input/output combos in SDR# with no luck. When running SDR# without trying to route via VAC, the settings that work perfectly on the laptop are :

INPUT: MME Microphone (High def audio) Output: MM Speakers (High Def Audio) ,
Control Panel Sound settings : Playback: High def audio Recording : Microphone (high def audio)

Thanks much for any ideas !!

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by mtindor; 04-12-2013 at 3:48 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 6:51 PM

And please let us know how you make out.
Old 04-12-2013, 7:01 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Try changing the values for SR in VAC. My laptop will not accept 48000..48000 so I use 22050..192000. Otherwise I get this same error.

Hope that helps,
-AZ
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Re: DSD Windows Port

AZ/Mike,

Thanks! Between the both of you I got it working. It was a combo of the adjusting the SR settings and SDR# input /output changing.

For a test, I plugged in my local P25 and getting about a quarter decode. I'll take that any day considering how lost I was! I'm blaming it on my old computer.

Oh btw, TRBO on the first system I tried is garbled so I assume encrypted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceflyr View Post
AZ/Mike,

Thanks! Between the both of you I got it working. It was a combo of the adjusting the SR settings and SDR# input /output changing.

For a test, I plugged in my local P25 and getting about a quarter decode. I'll take that any day considering how lost I was! I'm blaming it on my old computer.

Oh btw, TRBO on the first system I tried is garbled so I assume encrypted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
RE: SDR# : Do make sure and turn off the filtering. Do experiment with filter width (even though filtering is off). There are sweet spots for better decode. I usually move around between 12.5 and 16 khz.

RE: TRBO : Not necessarily. If you tune to an active TRBO freq and it CONSTANTLY says you have voice frames, then you need to invert. That means if you were using the -xr switch, don't, and that if you weren't using the -xr switch, do. I'm not sure a privacy-enabled TRBO signal will even produce any audio.

I always preach about CPUs. If you're going to use DSD (especially along with SDR software and VAC), it will perform much better on a beefy machine (I5/I7 with hyperthreading). So basically a multicore hyperthreading processor of recent vintage will give you the best performance. A Pentium D 2.8 HT doesn't cut it. A Core 2 Duo T5750 doesn't cut it. Anything less than those two certainly doesn't cut it. Basically when CPU maxes out during decode, you end up with a lot of choppiness. Hey, I encourage anyone who wants to run anything less to do so, but they shouldn't expect much.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 04-13-2013, 9:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I wish I could get a computer with a hyperthreading multiple core that would run Windows XP x64. Everything seems to be built for Windows 7 and 8 these days and cannot be "downgraded" because of BIOS incompatibilities.

Windows 7 and 8 are horrible for doing anything serial in real time.
Old 04-13-2013, 5:53 PM

DAVE : The link in your post does not work....
Old 04-14-2013, 6:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Algoma View Post
DAVE : The link in your post does not work....
Which Dave, which post? You should quote the post.
Old 04-14-2013, 7:44 PM

Hi All,

I am new to using SDR# and DSD, I have ordered a DVB USB stick and it is on its way, but I still don't have it yet. I am trying to configure all of my software first before the unit arrives, in my area we have a trunked 800mhz Motorola smartnet setup for all of our public safety, of which only the police (RCMP) and the conservation officers for the Department of Natural Resources are digital, the rest are analog. I have a nice triple trunking analog scanner that I use for the rest of the system, and am testing the USB SDR# method to try and receive the P25 digital communications in my area. I have read the article that everyone references to in terms of using SDR#, Unitrunker, virtual audio cable and DSD. However the end of the article where it mentions using one usb stick instead of two is a little confusing to me, it states that the audio output must be the same in both unitracker and SDR# so that DSD and unitracker both receive the input from SDR#. The way I have it set is that my output from SDR# is set to virtual line in 1, however for unitrunker, does that mean that my signal channel should be set as "audio port: line 1 virtual" as well? In the setup instructions in the beginning of the article is says to set that option to anything but the default recording device (virtual line 1 in this case), so that's where I got confused. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm sorry to have dragged this on and on, but the SDR# program in general intrigues me, and I just wanted clarification before I screw something simple up!

Tags