Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I was having computer issues and had to return my computer back to the factory default settings. So now I am starting all over again. At least now I have a clean hard drive.

Anyways the problem, I downloaded DSDplus as I did before resetting the computer back to the factory settings, I extracted it to a folder in my C drive. Next I downloaded Lame as before and ran it from the download folder into the DSD folder, no problems.

When I run DSD, instead of the clear Apco 25 decode that I had before, I get the clear audio plus the digital noise plus a sound like the squelch is too high. Is there a switch in DSD I need to adjust?

One other thing I noticed, I can't make changes to the DSDplus from the folder in my C drive, I have to use the command prompt, run DSD and I can make changes from there but those changes are only good as long as I run the program from the command prompt. The changes I make while running DSD from the command prompt ( eg. -v3 ) will not stay when I run DSD from the C drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Moonbounce

RonnieUSA

I was having computer issues and had to return my computer back to the factory default settings. So now I am starting all over again. At least now I have a clean hard drive.

Anyways the problem, I downloaded DSDplus as I did before resetting the computer back to the factory settings, I extracted it to a folder in my C drive. Next I downloaded Lame as before and ran it from the download folder into the DSD folder, no problems.

When I run DSD, instead of the clear Apco 25 decode that I had before, I get the clear audio plus the digital noise plus a sound like the squelch is too high. Is there a switch in DSD I need to adjust?

One other thing I noticed, I can't make changes to the DSDplus from the folder in my C drive, I have to use the command prompt, run DSD and I can make changes from there but those changes are only good as long as I run the program from the command prompt. The changes I make while running DSD from the command prompt ( eg. -v3 ) will not stay when I run DSD from the C drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Moonbounce

Take the check mark out of the listen to this device box. See Pic.

Last edited:

br0adband

If you're using Windows 7 (or Windows Vista) you may encounter issues with any programs that install themselves to the root directory (meaning C:\) because that's considered to be a protected area, at least since Vista came out. Part of Microsoft's changes to Windows that started with Vista were to prevent most programs from being installed directly to the C:\ root directory (like C:\DSD or whatever) and not in the Users\username\<whatever> folder or to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) subdirectories. This can be a cause for the issue(s) that you're having with being able to start up DSD+ using whatever options you're attempting to do.

Move the DSD+ folder to some other location, in My Documents, on the Desktop, doesn't matter but just not the root C:\ folder and things might work better. Having anything installed directly to the root C:\ folder nowadays is considered a potential risk since that's the target for most any malware or virus activity - it's always best to use some other directory someplace else for such purposes. That's not just my recommendation but also what Microsoft suggests, that's why when you do attempt to install something that tries to put itself in the root C:\ directory you'll get the obligatory UAC prompt asking you to confirm what you're about to do so the best course of action is don't do it and use some other location for installation.

As for the audio issue, based on what you said I'd suspect the same issue and solution that Ronnie just proposed.

moonbounce

Okay, I got the sound working perfectly thanks RonnieUSA. Broadband, I have DSD installed in my User account C drive not the Admin C drive. Would this matter? If yes, i will move it to my Docs folder and run it from there.
Also if I run it from the user\documents\dsd will I be able to use the switches or is that possible without going into the command prompt?

Moonbounce

br0adband

As stated, if you have a C:\DSD folder (or anything in the C:\ directory), it might work better if you move that folder to the C:\Users\<username>\Documents folder, or the Desktop, etc.

As far as using the switches, it sounds like you're hoping to use a batch file to start up DSD+ with the switches ready to go by just double-clicking on something instead of having to open a Command Prompt then type "dsd <switches>" each time you want to run it. You can do that as simple as this:

- right click in the DSD+ folder and choose "New - Notepad document" from the menu that appears or whatever option exists for a text editor (something that can create/save a plain old text file)

- name it dsd_batch.bat or whatever you want (could name it so you know what it is and what switches it will have, but it must end with the extension .bat which designates a batch file)

- once created, double-click that file, it should open in Notepad or whatever text editor you have installed and then add the following lines - if you renamed the DSD+ .exe file, use whatever you renamed it to as the name of the program as some people use dsd.exe, some use dsdplus.exe, etc:

Code:
dsd.exe <switches you intend to use>
pause

That's it, that's all it takes. The first line will start up DSD+ with the switches you want to use specifically; when you are done running DSD+ and hit the Esc(ape) key to close it out properly, the Command Prompt will stay on the screen and tell you to "Press any key to continue . . ." so you know for sure it's going to terminate (meaning the Command Prompt window, at that point DSD+ will have already closed and returned you to the command prompt. Hit any key and it's gone, simple. An example batch file might be:

Code:
dsd.exe -v4 -f1
pause

That would start DSD+ with the most verbose level of info it will provide and detecting and decoding only P25 Phase I protocol transmissions.

Hope this helps...

moonbounce

Thanks broadband, when I get my computer problems solved I will follow those instructions, thanks again.

Moonbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.