DMRDecode for DMR radio programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylorman

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about getting a DMR radio to use as a receiver for some local MotoTRBO systems. I was wondering if DMRDecode provided all the pertinent information needed to write a codeplug for a DMR radio.

Thanks,
E.J.

mm

For just receiving it's much less expensive to buy a RTL dongle and use dsd+ SOFTWARE to do all decoding.

I'm sitting here with right now taking a break from a tower install using an E4000 dongle with dsd+ monitoring a UHF ham dmr\trbo system, while also scanning Tempe and Scottsdale Arizona 700 MHz P25 public safety systems. 10 dollars for the dongle and another 25 dollars in parts for a home brew splitter/dual band lna for UHF/700 MHz use. Sdr sharp with dsd+ is much better than a uniden scanner or a commercial dmr radio.

caylorman

Premium Subscriber
I know, but I'm considering buying the DMR HT for ham radio purposes, and wanted to fill the spare channels with something else to listen to.

Plus, other than price, I find it hard to believe that DSD and a wideband dongle with minimal filtering can be better than an actual purpose-built radio.

racingfan360

> I was wondering if DMRDecode provided all the pertinent information needed to write a codeplug for a DMR radio.

Strictly speaking DMRDecode will provide you with most of the information, but not everything.
You need frequency (from the scanner/dongle), color code (from DSD+ or DMRDecode, or given that there are only 16 combinations from trial and error), timeslot (from DSD+, DMRDecode or 50:50 trial and error). For some DMR radios that don't allow wildcards, you will also need to add Group ID which you can get from DMRDecode.

Then there are the complications: if the system is trunked (eg Cap Plus) DMRDecode will tell you that but your DMR radio can't normally be programmed to cope with this. Likewise with encryption, DMRdecode will alert you to privacy enabled but you're into many (exhaustive) man hours trying to figure that out if indeed you could. The final potential hidden hurdle is RAS which neither DMRDecode nor DSD+ will alert you too, and which your DMR radio will not touch.

>I find it hard to believe that DSD and a wideband dongle with minimal filtering can be better than an actual purpose-built radio.
Agreed. In my experience a DMR radio's performance is superior. DSD+ isn't that bad though. But there is a massive difference on simplex DMR where I find DSD+ struggles.

HTH

Jim

caylorman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Jim. Slot and color code were the big one's I was concerned about. I'm considering buying a CS700, and wanted to be able to use it as a receiver as well, considering there are no DMR amateur repeaters in the area I live (but are in an area I travel to regularly). Just wanted to make sure that if I did buy a unit, it wasn't essentially going to be useless while at home.

E.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.