ProVoice Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm or deny this….. I am reading that a GRE PSR-800 with firmware version 1.06 will follow ProVoice talkgroups, and play the digital noise through the speaker. I am also reading that this functionality was taken away in later versions of the firmware. Is this all correct?

If the PSR-800 will track ProVoice, then it would be simply running an audio cable from the headphone jack to the input of a computer and running DSD to decode. Is anyone doing this?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so the scanner can follow ProVoice talkgroups, but not decode the audio. What is stopping Whistler from making a deal with the author of DSD, and integrating that audio decoding into a scanner?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
ProVoice is proprietary and owned by MA/COM

Are you implying that the authors of DSD are not reverse engineering or using generally available/open source codecs to decode ProVoice, but rather stealing code from Harris (MA/COM)? At a high level, decoding ProVoice seems very similar to when Terry Brennan and company reverse engineered the proprietary EDACS trunking format in the mid 1990’s. EDACS decoding has been part of almost every trunked scanner since then. Why can’t this also be done for ProVoice?

Last edited:

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I don't think the hard part is for manufacturers to get this built into their scanners. (they probably have some sweet engineer models that already do for all we know).

The hard and expensive part would be the legal storm that would erupt from DVSI / Harris and convincing them they used open-source code and not proprietary (licensed). I don't know enough about copyright law or specifically HOW ProVoice is specifically protected. If they managed to get the entire theory copyrighted then even using DSD/DSD+ would violate that. Long story short, I think the legal grey area is too much risk to them for the very small demographic that wants PV support.

gasmme

yes it will with 106 I had it on my 800 and lost it with filmware 108 and could not get back to 106

Status
Not open for further replies.