dsd+ and nxdn decoded details ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moj

Hi

when using dsdplus and listening to an idas conventional or nxdn frequency i get the following output message

Group call ;TG=3-1991 RID=3-580 CH=3

Can anybody explain exactly what talkgroup it is that i,m listening to , is it 3-1991 or 1991 and if so what would the 3 signify ?

and the same with the radio id is it 3-580 or 580 and again what would the 3 mean ?

if i try to program the - sign and group into the icom cps software it wont allow me to so am i actually reading the details correctly off dsdplus ?

thanks ;)

moj

Thanks for the reply back dsdplus and thankyou for designing an amazing piece of software that i now use everyday and is part of my scanning toolkit ;)

moj

Hi Voyager !

yes mate your correct it is an idas nxdn system that i,m trying to monitor but i,m still getting no audio from the radio even after being programmed with the talkgroup and radio id details that dsdplus has found , the minus sign confused me aswell mate :)

racingfan360

moj - are you saying you get audio from DSD+ but not from your portable radio, or no audio from either? If the latter are you sure you're tuned to a voice channel and not a control channel?

moj

Hi Jhampton !

yes i can clearly hear the audio on my dsdplus on all the nexedge and idas frequencys but when programmed int the radio i get nothing at all but the green recieving light flashing on my ic-f4161ds radio and ive tried other idas frequencys and again nothing mate , any idea ?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber

racingfan360

>i get nothing at all but the green recieving light flashing on my ic-f4161ds radio and ive tried other idas frequencys and again nothing mate , any idea ?

So I have very limited experience with IDAS. I'd expect to see that sort of behavior when:

1. The voice channel is encrypted and your radio is muting the voice (but from what you've implied, I assume that's not he case)

2. In MotoTRBO, a RAS-encoded voice channel won't be decoded on a portable radio without the right info set (but this is IDAS, and I'm not sure if such a thing exists in the world of IDAS)

3. In trunked Nexedge, if you don't have the right key programmed in the portable, it won't decode. I assume IDAS is similar. What exactly is your DSD+ log showing when it decodes voice? Is it trunked?

4. Increasingly in very narrow NXDN, we see the use of 3.125khz frequency offsets being used, to maximize spectrum use. In the absence of any other ideas, and if it ain't trunked, I'd try program the the freqs in your portable to be either +3.125khz or -3.125khz (try both !). I have experienced this with Nexedge - the green light will flash, but it won't decode as the portable needs to be tuned to precisely the right freq. Your dongle or scanner isn't as selective as a proper portable, so it isn't as fussy about being off freq by a bit.

I'd be interested to know if this solves your problem

Not sure about IDAS, but in Kenwood you only need to program in the precise frequency and set the RAN to 0, and it will receive any unencrypted conventional voice regardless of GID or UID in use.

Jim

moj

Thanks for the reply guys and i,m more experienced with mototrbo so as you can imagine getting no audio from my radio is really annoying and if i,m right if i can clearly hear the audio on dsdplus and its not encrypted then i should be able to hear the exact same come out of the radio after programming , especially since the ran code is set to 0 and the correct talkgroup has been put into the radio .

I did wonder if the radio id had anything to do with it but again ive copied that off dsdplus and even tried other id,s and still not hearing a thing ?

i will try to copy a log or take a pic so you can see what i,m getting and if needed i can send you the cps template so you can try and see where i,m going wrong :)

again thanks for the positive responses and hopefully i will get there in the end with all your help :p

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I am having difficulty programming an IDAS system on a Icom F4262 digital radio. On DSD+, I get IDASsite 13, and in the event log, I get, TG=33554433 and Radio IDs, but no RAN number. So, i programmed the frequency into my radio, went to the talkgroup id list tab on the radio programming software and put in 33554433 and the software changed the ID to 65519. Any ideas? I am not sure if Icom radios are like Kenwood and setting the RAN to a 0 and receiving all audio regardless of TG#s because I tried a RAN of 0 and got nothing.

racingfan360

Jeffm77 - I thought this was a trunked Icom channel and couldn't be listened to using a conventional portable without the network key ?

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what it is. I don't think it's trunked. I think it's a single conventional idas ch. because I was told if its trunked I would miss some of the conversation on DD plus I am not missing anything and there's no gaps in between the conversations so I'm thinking it's just a single channel

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I am having difficulty programming an IDAS system on a Icom F4262 digital radio. On DSD+, I get IDASsite 13, and in the event log, I get, TG=33554433 and Radio IDs, but no RAN number. So, i programmed the frequency into my radio, went to the talkgroup id list tab on the radio programming software and put in 33554433 and the software changed the ID to 65519. Any ideas? I am not sure if Icom radios are like Kenwood and setting the RAN to a 0 and receiving all audio regardless of TG#s because I tried a RAN of 0 and got nothing.

Hello,

If you are getting site information, then this likely an IDAS Multiple Site trunked system. Do you hear short transmissions every 2 seconds or so?

I found that DSD+ does not display talkgroups correctly on some NXDN system types.

You can try my Windows port of dsd. It should tell you if the frequency is IDAS trunk and the talkgroup. You have to set the audio in and out devices via the command line.
http://www.radiophile.info/WinDSD/WinDSDv2.zip

73 Eric

moj

Re dsdplus and idas !

Thanks for that eric, I,m actually wondering if that's mine and jeffs problem and it would explain why I hear no audio at all on the programmed radio but dsdplus audio is fine but encrypted .

Even if it was encrypted I,d hear the garbled speech on the radio but as I,m hearing nothing at all that does sound like the dsdplus talkgroup details were sniffed wrong etc ?

I will try my old version of dsd and see what details that throws up but what I do find strange is the the details that dsdplus picks up are exactly the same everytime there sniffed with the program ?

moj

I,m hoping so , so far trying 1.6 and its not showing me any details , I,m wondering if theres any other programs for sniffing nxdn and idas talkgroup details out there seeing as dsdplus has it built in but isn't accurate enough.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I heard there is a program that will decode nxdn but it runs on Python and is not compatible with Windows

RonnieUSA

Hello,

If you are getting site information, then this likely an IDAS Multiple Site trunked system. Do you hear short transmissions every 2 seconds or so?

I found that DSD+ does not display talkgroups correctly on some NXDN system types.

You can try my Windows port of dsd. It should tell you if the frequency is IDAS trunk and the talkgroup. You have to set the audio in and out devices via the command line.
http://www.radiophile.info/WinDSD/WinDSDv2.zip

73 Eric

Has the audio problem been fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.