DSD+ issue with NexEdge96?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

On several NexEdge96 systems, I get no TG info. It says something like:

Group Call; RID=1 10s

Does "Group Call" have some special meaning on these systems or is there an issue decoding the TG numbers?
I also see a LOT of RID=1 on these systems (like almost nothing else).

Source: discriminator tap or dongle - both are the same.

racingfan360

No issues decoding TG's (actually GIDs on NXDN)....what you're likely seeing is a system where Groups simply aren't used. I've seen this on several occasions.

Also it's not unusual for lots of portables to be programmed with RID =1: most likely that the person who programmed them was lazy and used the same codeplug to do all the portables as a batch and didn't set individual RIDs per portable unit.

Voyager

So some NXDN (or only NexEdge???) systems actually don't use TGs? How are the radios programmed to receive?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I know out here when they've used it they only show up as "Group Call; RID="

No TG or Group Call number.

Example from DSDPlus

2014/10/04 17:46:51 Group call; RID=911 DISPATCH 4s

Voyager

So, again, how would you program a radio to monitor these systems? RAN=0 doesn't work. (I'm NOT talking trunked, but conventional - I know you cannot monitor trunked systems)

racingfan360

I don't understand your "RAN=0 doesn't work" comment

The only info you need to program to receive everything is the frequency and modulation type if you set RAN =0, at least for a Kenwood NXDN radio. The UID is set by default to 1 or can be modified. You can program a GID and a UID list - again you don't need to. Each freq can be set as a Group Call, and Individual Call or Off. Your example looks like it's been set as Off.

Last edited:

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
i am having the same issue on dsd+ on nexedge, i get radio ids but no tg info. i have an icom nexedge radio so how would i program it in? i tried RAN=0 and i read somewhere that a "group call" tg was 65535, I programmed my radio that way, but receive nothing.

Voyager

I don't understand your "RAN=0 doesn't work" comment

The only info you need to program to receive everything is the frequency and modulation type if you set RAN =0, at least for a Kenwood NXDN radio. The UID is set by default to 1 or can be modified. You can program a GID and a UID list - again you don't need to. Each freq can be set as a Group Call, and Individual Call or Off. Your example looks like it's been set as Off.

OK. Let me make it as clear as I can...

Here is what DSD shows:
"Group Call; RID=1 10s"

I know 10s is ten seconds of transmission. I know RID is Radio ID, and makes no difference for receive only. There is no RAN shown. There is no TGID shown. How do I program a radio to monitor this system?

I read that RAN 0 is the "all RAN" decode setting, but that does not work, so that info must be wrong. What do you set the RAN to for a system using no RAN?

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
I am getting the same thing. I get group call and no tg information or ran information. so how do you program a system into your radio without that information all I'm getting is group call and radio IDs.

racingfan360

Voyager and jeffm77.....could you capture some raw traffic via DSD+ and upload them for me to look at please.

Also can you clarify what type of portable radios you are using to monitor the traffic. I've more knowledge about kenwoods but I thought icoms only did idas or nxdn very narrow ie nxdn4800 but not nxdn9600.

racingfan360

AFAIK Icom IDAS is 6.25kHz only - so isn't compatible NXDN9600/Kenwood Nexedge Narrow.

If you check your manual/CPS then you should be able to confirm yourself.

I can only think of one other variable in this: sometimes NXDN channels can be setup with a 3.125kHz frequency offset - so the 'real' freq used is +3.125khz what you think or -3.125khz from it. More common in NXDN 4800 les so in NXDN9600. The poorer selectivity of a scanner/dongle means you won't notice it but on a real NXDN portable it will make a difference. The only way I think you can check is to add 3 freqs into your scan list of your NXDN portable: one on the expected freq, one -3.125khz from it and one +3.125khz from it. Scan through them. If an offset is being used it will stop scanning on it and open the squelch - if you have RAN set to 0. A NXDN portable programmed wiht the freq out by 3.125khz won't decode.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
So the radio i have won't do nxdn9600 just 4800? I have a system here that comes up as idas site 13. I get no ran but a group call tg of 3354435. when I enter that talk group into my radio as programming software the software changes the talk group to a different number. the frequency of the system is on is 463. 450 but it could be a different frequency since its Idas. Any thoughts?

DSDPlus

So the radio i have won't do nxdn9600 just 4800? I have a system here that comes up as idas site 13. I get no ran but a group call tg of 3354435. when I enter that talk group into my radio as programming software the software changes the talk group to a different number. the frequency of the system is on is 463. 450 but it could be a different frequency since its Idas. Any thoughts?
I believe this is group ID 51-12099.

Upload a raw audio sample for confirmation.

DSDPlus

I am getting the same thing. I get group call and no tg information or ran information. so how do you program a system into your radio without that information all I'm getting is group call and radio IDs.
Does -v3 not display RAN?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
If it helps any in DSDPlus at least on mine it shows RAN # in the event window only. It doesn't show it in the decode window or the event log.

I don't know why but that's the way it works in my version on my computer. Try looking for the RAN code there and maybe its there on yours too?

As to RAN 0 I always heard that was analogous to 7FE I think it is on P25 so can't help you there. Supposedly it does allow all transmissions on a freq but I don't know why its not working for you.

Voyager

My setups shows RAN for some systems, but not all. I have a discriminator tap and dongle. Some just won't show any TGs or RANs. I will try to get some recordings in the next couple days of those systems not showing them.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I'm sure others can help with that. I only have one frequency out here using it and that very rarely so it makes my experience extremely limited on that front. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.