DSDPlus 1.051 and DMR - errors and no decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

So I've been beating my head against the wall here...

There are a number of local DMR repeaters on VHF locally, and I wanted to listen in on them (or one, or whatever)... I'm sorta considering getting a DMR capable radio, but I want to see what kind of traffic is around on the DMR repeaters before I spend the money...

So here's what I have:
1) A fairly hefty computer - certainly plenty enough to run DSDPlus
2) A Signalink USB
3) A Yaesu FT-5100 VHF/UHF mobile radio
4) Stubbornness

I used an unterminated cable from Tigertronics to wire my Signalink USB to the 3.5mm data jack on my FT-5100. I also have a cable for my HF radio. I noticed that my HF radio works as expected, tx and rx levels on the signalink are around 9:00 to 10:00 positions, just like everyone else, and audio is just right. but on the Yaesu, the audio coming out of it is very low, and the transmit level is also low. So low that I have to raise the rx and tx knobs all the way to max for it to work. This has been fine for PSK125 work that I do on some of the local VHF repeaters, however...

When trying to record audio from it, I noticed that the Signalink actually produces quite a bit of hissing sound behind the audio when the rx audio level is maxed out. And the audio level is low. So low, that the hiss from the signalink is just about as loud as the audio I'm trying to record. When I turn down the signalink to a more normal level, the hiss goes away, but now the audio from my Yaesu is almost inaudible. And DSDPlus does not even acknowledge anything when the repeaters key up.

On the other hand, I have a scanner, and using the headphones output, into the signalink, with the rx level at a reasonable level, I can get DSDPlus to respond every time a DMR repeater keys up. However, I presume that because there's no discriminator tap in the scanner (and I'm not skilled enough to put one in - I already ruined one scanner trying), this is what I get:

Sync:+DMR
+DMR slot2 BS DATA ERR2 CC=2 Idle
Sync: no sync
+DMR CACH ERR slot1 BS DATA ERR3 CC=2 Unknown TypeC
+DMR CACH ERR slot1 BS DATA ERR2 CC=3 Idle
+DMR slot1 BS DATA ERR3 CC=0 Unknown TypeF

Do I need a discriminator tap to decode DMR? Anyone ever used the data i/o on the back of a FT-5100 and know how to raise the audio output level a bit? Anyone ever run into this or have any ideas how to proceed?

ETMegabyte

Good news, I think...

The low audio is either the cable I made for the 5100, or the Signalink USB itself. I hooked the FT-5100 directly to the line in and am getting better audio out of it. And DSD+ responds when the repeater keys up. But it only keys up once a minute for a couple seconds, I assume some kind of ID or something. Nobody's talking on it at the moment, so I still have not decoded audio (I thought HAMs were supposed to be up-all-night-creatures?!?!)

I'll update when I find out if I can decode audio or not in the morning when (hopefully) someone starts talking...

ETMegabyte

OK, it seems that the data output on the FT-5100 is not a discriminator output, or something, because it just doesn't work... Seems to work fine for PSK and things like that, but those don't require discriminator outputs, so I guess it is what it is... *shrug*

DSDPlus

OK, it seems that the data output on the FT-5100 is not a discriminator output, or something, because it just doesn't work... Seems to work fine for PSK and things like that, but those don't require discriminator outputs, so I guess it is what it is... *shrug*
You are using the wrong tools. Just get a $20 dongle. They have many uses.

robrob

A question about using discriminator taps for packet transceivers: Since discriminator taps offer no squelch how does a TNC know when it can transmit packet? I ask because my MFJ-1278 TNC will not transmit packet if the squelch is open.

Voyager

Separate squelch input? OR, it might see a non-decode as a clear channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.