DMR data streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

At last! I got my Pro-96 scanner tapped correctly, and the scanner is working properly with DSD+. I am able to monitor my local PD again for the first time since they went "dark" on DMR! Happy happy joy joy!
I have noticed that most of the transmissions are not voice but instead (I think) data bursts... of what? GPS info of the patrol units?

mkewman

At last! I got my Pro-96 scanner tapped correctly, and the scanner is working properly with DSD+. I am able to monitor my local PD again for the first time since they went "dark" on DMR! Happy happy joy joy!
I have noticed that most of the transmissions are not voice but instead (I think) data bursts... of what? GPS info of the patrol units?

GPS and ARP most likely, possibly some text messages in there too. the newest DSD+ might be able to view gps packets i think. it comes bundled with another app.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It could be anything... TRBO radios have general purpose I/O connections that can be used for telemetry, high water alarms, etc etc. Just about anything you can imagine. In my municipality the radios will send an update when a snowplow has his plow down and sander engaged. On our fire trucks an update is sent when lights/siren are activated or the pump is engaged.... along with AVL data too.

wbswetnam

I'm happy to hear voice comms again from the local police and fire departments talking on their units, but I just wish it wouldn't lock up so often on these data bursts nearly every 30 seconds or so. And yes, I have the volume turned all the way down on the scanner. I'm tempted to upload the audio as a stream on Broadcastify but, well, you know what may happen...

KA2ZEY

I hear this data Mototrbo a lot in the 460-464mhz business band. I'm assuming it's a car service sending data. I guess we don't have software that can decode this yet?

RonnieUSA

In the same folder as DSD+, click on LRRP, and see if it's being used, it will show what some of those burst are.
The way to know if LRRP is being used is in DSD+ You will some of the info in the event log window in purple.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm happy to hear voice comms again from the local police and fire departments talking on their units, but I just wish it wouldn't lock up so often on these data bursts nearly every 30 seconds or so. And yes, I have the volume turned all the way down on the scanner. I'm tempted to upload the audio as a stream on Broadcastify but, well, you know what may happen...

So you are scanning between a couple TRBO frequencies, and the scanner hangs on the data burts? (These could also be the beacon from the repeater used by the radio to determine RSSI, especially in an IP Site Connect system).

If that's the case, and it's a real hassle for you... Then another option would be to use a couple SDR dongles instead, or buy a couple dirt cheap old analog scanners from eBay, tap them, and dedicate each one to a certain frequency. The dongle solution works nice if your CPU can handle the load SDR# puts on it.

wbswetnam

In the same folder as DSD+, click on LRRP, and see if it's being used, it will show what some of those burst are.
The way to know if LRRP is being used is in DSD+ You will some of the info in the event log window in purple.

I just learned about the LRRP program today as well.

I made another important discovery. I was confused as to why DSD+ would work on my desktop computer running Windows 7, but not my laptop running Windows 8.1. After doing some digging, I discovered that under Recording Devices ---> Recording ---> (Microphone) Properties ---> Enhancements, I had the Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Suppression boxes checked on the laptop. I unchecked them, now it works on the laptop as well. So if you have DSD+ all set up but it's not showing a signal in the Source Audio window, check the recording settings in Windows.

jfhtm350

I made another important discovery. I was confused as to why DSD+ would work on my desktop computer running Windows 7, but not my laptop running Windows 8.1. After doing some digging, I discovered that under Recording Devices ---> Recording ---> (Microphone) Properties ---> Enhancements, I had the Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Suppression boxes checked on the laptop. I unchecked them, now it works on the laptop as well. So if you have DSD+ all set up but it's not showing a signal in the Source Audio window, check the recording settings in Windows.

I have to do this on a Vista laptop so its not just Windows 8.1.

KA2ZEY

Can someone tell me what LRRP is? I see a lot of DMR type data streams in the NYC area but not sure if it's LRRP. Who uses it and where?

wbswetnam

Also important... in the Windows recording settings... go to Recording Devices ---> Recording ---> (Microphone) Properties, then click on the Advanced tab. Make sure that Default Format is set to "2 channel, 16 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)" in the drop-down box. The normal Windows default is "CD quality", which is not what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.