RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Digital Voice Formats

Digital Voice Formats Discussions regarding different digital radio voice formats, including AMBE, IMBE, VSELP, GSM, CELP, MELP, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Well, that's funny, the part number on the purchased ones is the same as the one that came with the phone.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I received mine today and the same thing is happening. I tried used and new 128k sims and no luck. Just the in progress notice.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Nextel Direct Talk (not Direct Connect)

I was thinking the in progress error was the error related to a Nextel sim out in a power source phone- but the below link discusses it and states you need to do a master reset of the sim using a true nextel phone then out it back in the i502
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-progress-quot
Old 10-29-2013, 8:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DLL View Post
I received mine today and the same thing is happening. I tried used and new 128k sims and no luck. Just the in progress notice.
No guarantee, but try powering it on without the SIM, once it's on insert the SIM.

Let me know if this works, if not I'll keep digging.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 10-29-2013, 8:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
No guarantee, but try powering it on without the SIM, once it's on insert the SIM.

I will give that a try when I get home.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2013, 8:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmills View Post
I was thinking the in progress error was the error related to a Nextel sim out in a power source phone- but the below link discusses it and states you need to do a master reset of the sim using a true nextel phone then out it back in the i502
I do have another nextel model coming tomorrow so I will give that a try on there. The other one is a i570.
Old 10-29-2013, 9:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

That won't work, the battery blocks the SIM card slot when it is in.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmills View Post
Tried it just now and it didn't work on either. The i570 works in DT though.
Old 10-30-2013, 1:37 PM

I went to my local Sprint store and told them my situation. They just blew me off. Their answer to any and everything I had to say was:" Those are Nextel phones, they don't work any more." Even when I told them I had 5 bars of signal from the Sprint site. Didn't matter to them at all. I have a Nextel phone someone here at work bought years ago and everyone forgot about. I don't remember if it has a SIM or not. If I can find it and it has one, I'll try that reset thing to see if that gets me anywhere. In the meantime, I think I'll call Sprint to see if they can activate them as prepaid. They aren't listed on the Sprint website so probably not. My son has a Sprint phone but I don't think it even has a SIM. He is under contract and is very happy with Sprint. He says you roam off Verizon when not in range of Sprint. Which is most of the time here.
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2013, 1:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPXS472 View Post
I went to my local Sprint store and told them my situation. They just blew me off. Their answer to any and everything I had to say was:" Those are Nextel phones, they don't work any more." Even when I told them I had 5 bars of signal from the Sprint site. Didn't matter to them at all. I have a Nextel phone someone here at work bought years ago and everyone forgot about. I don't remember if it has a SIM or not. If I can find it and it has one, I'll try that reset thing to see if that gets me anywhere. In the meantime, I think I'll call Sprint to see if they can activate them as prepaid. They aren't listed on the Sprint website so probably not. My son has a Sprint phone but I don't think it even has a SIM. He is under contract and is very happy with Sprint. He says you roam off Verizon when not in range of Sprint. Which is most of the time here.
I did order a second i570 now that I know those work in DT. I'm not giving up on these ones though. Ill let you know if I figure anything else out.
Old 10-30-2013, 4:23 PM

I just read something that makes me think this is a lost cause. It basically said that the phone had to register on the Nextel network for the "In Progress" message to go away. The only cure I see is to find phones that have already been activated and used on Nextel. I think I am going to throw in the towel on this. I don't need to invest more already scarce funds in something that, even if it works, will only be to play around with a little. I already have a couple of the DTR radios that I don't use. I will check back to see if someone does actually come up with a fix.
Old 10-30-2013, 5:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I just read something that makes me think this is a lost cause. It basically said that the phone had to register on the Nextel network for the "In Progress" message to go away. The only cure I see is to find phones that have already been activated and used on Nextel. I think I am going to throw in the towel on this. I don't need to invest more already scarce funds in something that, even if it works, will only be to play around with a little. I already have a couple of the DTR radios that I don't use. I will check back to see if someone does actually come up with a fix.
The i570 I got was brand new and that worked on DT so maybe that may be device specific. Not really sure.
Old 10-30-2013, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The problem is the ic502 is a "hybrid" and needs to register on the CDMA network, which ain't gonna happen anymore.

I'm still researching this, we'll figure something out. I may order one to play with and work it out for you guys...but no guarantee on me buying one.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 10-30-2013, 8:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The problem is the ic502 is a "hybrid" and needs to register on the CDMA network, which ain't gonna happen anymore.

I'm still researching this, we'll figure something out. I may order one to play with and work it out for you guys...but no guarantee on me buying one.
Yeah exactly. I've been playing around a lot trying to get somewheres but no luck so far.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

I thought about taking one to the local Best Buy and seeing if they would activate it on Sprint, then exercising my right of recission and backing out of the contract a day later. I imagine they would insist upon selling me a phone first. Which ain't gonna happen.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2013, 2:02 PM

Seems the more I know about this, the less I understand. I bought a used ic502 the day after I got the new ones. It came with a SIM card and I can access Direct Talk just fine. If I put that SIM into the "new" phone, I still get "in progress." If I put the SIM from the new phone into the used one, I get "Insert correct SIM. SIM doesn't match stored account information." I think the take away for this is to stay far away from the hybrid phones. They are simply more trouble than they are worth.
Old 11-25-2013, 1:30 PM

I just want a single site iDEN system. I have an open 800 antenna on top of a 500' tower... but landing some old nextel equipment is not an easy task... then to find the info to make it work seems almost as hard.
Old 11-25-2013, 3:41 PM

Good luck getting your hands on any used iDEN equipment. I read somewhere they are going to reclaim the precious metals in it. As I understand, it won't be for sale, anywhere for any price. Besides, how could you possibly license such a thing?
My son's Sprint phone went belly up the other day. I gave him one of my iC502s that actually worked so he could get it activated to use until a replacement phone arrived. He was on the phone an hour with Sprint only to learn that they can no longer activate them, even if they want to. He said they entered the info for the phone into their system and nothing happened. Seems hybrid phones are paperweights. I can't even get the GPS in one to work.
Old 11-25-2013, 3:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Good luck getting your hands on any used iDEN equipment. I read somewhere they are going to reclaim the precious metals in it. As I understand, it won't be for sale, anywhere for any price. Besides, how could you possibly license such a thing?
My son's Sprint phone went belly up the other day. I gave him one of my iC502s that actually worked so he could get it activated to use until a replacement phone arrived. He was on the phone an hour with Sprint only to learn that they can no longer activate them, even if they want to. He said they entered the info for the phone into their system and nothing happened. Seems hybrid phones are paperweights. I can't even get the GPS in one to work.
Any nextel phone is unable to be activated anymore as the service has been discontinued.
Old 11-25-2013, 3:44 PM

Whatever Iden equipment was taken down by Sprint will be sold to other Iden providers throughout the world. I believe Southern Linc is still up & running in the SE, & Mexico still has a Nextel system. Other countries too. GARY