RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Digital Voice Formats

Digital Voice Formats Discussions regarding different digital radio voice formats, including AMBE, IMBE, VSELP, GSM, CELP, MELP, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DLL View Post
Any nextel phone is unable to be activated anymore as the service has been discontinued.
I understand that. This was the Sprint side. The phone shows several bars of signal and I assume it isn't coming from Nextel.
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013, 4:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Nextel Direct Talk (not Direct Connect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPXS472 View Post
I understand that. This was the Sprint side. The phone shows several bars of signal and I assume it isn't coming from Nextel.
Right, sorry forgot they were hybrid models. I was thinking of the other nextel ones I have for DT
Old 11-25-2013, 4:10 PM

Sprint spokesman Mike Bonavia said that Sprint would hand over some 30,000 decommissioned base stations to industrial recyclers who will likely dismantle them and sell off the materials. It will do the same with the server racks, antennas, air conditioners, backup batteries and cables linked to those base stations.
Here is the link to the whole article:Nextel shutdown will leave 45,000 tons of network junk. How Sprint plans to recycle it — Tech News and Analysis
Old 11-25-2013, 5:16 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to purchase the old infrastructure and create your own cell phone network at least locally. IF anyone has any idea how to get a hold of the infrastructure and if this would even be possible please message me!
Old 11-26-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPXS472 View Post
Good luck getting your hands on any used iDEN equipment. I read somewhere they are going to reclaim the precious metals in it. As I understand, it won't be for sale, anywhere for any price. Besides, how could you possibly license such a thing?
My son's Sprint phone went belly up the other day. I gave him one of my iC502s that actually worked so he could get it activated to use until a replacement phone arrived. He was on the phone an hour with Sprint only to learn that they can no longer activate them, even if they want to. He said they entered the info for the phone into their system and nothing happened. Seems hybrid phones are paperweights. I can't even get the GPS in one to work.
I know of people that have sourced some things... I would just like to know what companies are doing the dismantling of the systems. Also, licensing it would be no different than licensing something else in that freq range.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014, 9:20 PM

Default Nextel Direct Talk (Not Direct Connect)

Does anybody have any good current links for anything Nextel Direct Talk related? I just charged mine up this week to make sure that they are ready for service during vacation this spring. I may be interested in buying an R765, i365IS, or possibly a Motorola Nextel Titanium . Does anybody have an ideas on where to locate these? I have been checking Ebay, but I am open to suggestions for other places, too.
Old 01-30-2014, 9:22 PM

I got all of mine off eBay

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk