• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nexedge vs Mototrbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRayfield

I have not personally compared the two, but from what I've heard others talk about, it sounds like the two are very similar in performance. My experience has been with MOTOTRBO. It will work with weak signals that are so noisy that they were received on analog, they would be 'gone' if they got any weaker at all. In other words, if the signal is readable at all, on analog, then it's perfectly usable on MOTOTRBO. If it's so 'garbled' on analog that it's unreadable, then it probably will be 'gone' on MOTOTRBO as well.

John

mpage

I use both Mototrbo and Nexedge everyday.
Voice quality goes to Mototrbo
Nexedge portables really like to de-sense each other
Would much rather use CPS vs KPG111d
Nexedge wins hands down in multi-site systems until Mototrbo Connect Plus is released
Mototrbo repeaters running Capacity Plus can handle 4x what NXDN can
Nexedge is cheaper!

baycomm

Anyone who thinks that Mototrbo sounds better than Nexedge doesn't have the latest KW firmware.
I would be happy to do a side by side comparison anywhere within a reasonable distance. I'll supply the Nexedge equipment including a repeater or feed your TRBO repeater into my transmit combiner.Contact me via PM if you want to take me up on it.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I work for an ambulance service that uses TRBO quite regularly and the voice clarity is exceptional. Actually sounds much better than P25!

catch

Mototrbo is TDMA with 2 time slots. Nexedge is only FDMA! So mototrbo has double channel capacity with only one repeater license....more network with less costs.

fineshot1

Mototrbo is TDMA with 2 time slots. Nexedge is only FDMA! So mototrbo has double channel capacity with only one repeater license....more network with less costs.

You forgot to take bandwidth into account.

Your statement above is regarding a 12.5khz BW channel which is what MotoTRBO is limited
to.

Nexedge is FDMA but it is capable of 6.25Khz channel BW so its a toss up, but as far as
frequency spectrum efficiency is concerned I would give it to Nexedge due to it being
a liitle more flexible as its not limited to 12.5Khz BW channels.

JRayfield

No, it's not a toss-up, unless Kenwood sells their 40-45 watt repeaters for $1250 MSRP (which I know they don't do). For $2500 MSPR for a MOTOTRBO repeater, you get two talk paths (two 'virtual' channels). For multiple transmitters, such as in a trunking system, you also need half as many combiner cavities and isolators for the MOTOTRBO system (because of half the number of actual repeaters).

So, the infrastructure cost of a MOTOTRBO repeater system is definitely less than a Nexedge system, given the same number of 'talk paths'.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

You forgot to take bandwidth into account.

Your statement above is regarding a 12.5khz BW channel which is what MotoTRBO is limited
to.

Nexedge is FDMA but it is capable of 6.25Khz channel BW so its a toss up, but as far as
frequency spectrum efficiency is concerned I would give it to Nexedge due to it being
a liitle more flexible as its not limited to 12.5Khz BW channels.

SCPD

QRT
That is until the FCC goes narrow band again and requires us all to go to 6.25 and all the TRBO equipment is useless.

No, it's not a toss-up, unless Kenwood sells their 40-45 watt repeaters for $1250 MSRP (which I know they don't do). For $2500 MSPR for a MOTOTRBO repeater, you get two talk paths (two 'virtual' channels). For multiple transmitters, such as in a trunking system, you also need half as many combiner cavities and isolators for the MOTOTRBO system (because of half the number of actual repeaters).

So, the infrastructure cost of a MOTOTRBO repeater system is definitely less than a Nexedge system, given the same number of 'talk paths'.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

SCPD

QRT
At dealer pricing, the TRBO portables are higher. One nice thing with IDAS, is that icom has come out with the F4101 which is half the price of the other models, if you dont need all the extra features. Plus the Nexedge/IDAS equipment is 6.25 already, so if they narrow us up again, its ready.

What's the price diff between nexedge and trbo portables?

JRayfield

MOTOTRBO meets future 6.25 khz rules. The rules reference 'spectral efficiency' and the FCC accepts MOTOTRBO as 6.25 khz 'equivalent'. By the way, P25 Phase 2 will also be TDMA, 2 time slot, in a 12.5 khz channel, just like MOTOTRBO.

John Rayfield, Jr.

That is until the FCC goes narrow band again and requires us all to go to 6.25 and all the TRBO equipment is useless.

JRayfield

And MOTOTRBO also meets the 6.25 khz rules.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

At dealer pricing, the TRBO portables are higher. One nice thing with IDAS, is that icom has come out with the F4101 which is half the price of the other models, if you dont need all the extra features. Plus the Nexedge/IDAS equipment is 6.25 already, so if they narrow us up again, its ready.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
got the opportunity to demo and drive test a Nexedge 12.5KHz system for a client. One advantage NexEDGE has over TRBO while TRBO is based on DMR, it like all Motorola products, has that nice PROPRIETARY FEATURE issue rendering some incompatibility with other non-Moto subscriber radios (Hytera to be exact).

In my experience the Nexedge audio was outstanding in 12.5KHz, superior error correction than P25. And we had the NX-800 repeater we were using setup for dual mode (analog/digital 12.5KHz) operation to compare. In places where an analog carrier was hard to copy, almost useless- is where the NexEDGE digital came through with almost no artifacts and perfectly intelligibility.

Not to mention, the NexEDGE product lineup seems more affordable than MotoTRBO. I was almost blown away at how cheap the subscriber radios are.

JRayfield

I gather you didn't get a chance to try Nexedge out in 6.25 khz mode? I'd be curious to know how the audio compares in 6.25 khz mode to the 12.5 khz mode.

As to proprietary features, the Hytera has that, too. I'm sure that when a repeater and subscribers are put into their 'psuedo trunking' mode, that a MOTOTRBO subscriber won't work on that system anymore. And I know that Hytera's encryption isn't compatible with MOTOTRBO's encryption. And these features in the Hytera are not part of the DMR standard. So, why are aren't you complaining (or even just pointing out) the fact that Hytera has proprietary features, just like MOTOTRBO?

Also, the subscribers may be less, but last time I heard, the repeaters were quite a bit more, especially since you need two repeaters for every one MOTOTRBO repeater to get the same 'efficiency'. Of course, maybe they've dropped the prices of their repeaters.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

got the opportunity to demo and drive test a Nexedge 12.5KHz system for a client. One advantage NexEDGE has over TRBO while TRBO is based on DMR, it like all Motorola products, has that nice PROPRIETARY FEATURE issue rendering some incompatibility with other non-Moto subscriber radios (Hytera to be exact).

In my experience the Nexedge audio was outstanding in 12.5KHz, superior error correction than P25. And we had the NX-800 repeater we were using setup for dual mode (analog/digital 12.5KHz) operation to compare. In places where an analog carrier was hard to copy, almost useless- is where the NexEDGE digital came through with almost no artifacts and perfectly intelligibility.

Not to mention, the NexEDGE product lineup seems more affordable than MotoTRBO. I was almost blown away at how cheap the subscriber radios are.

baycomm

12.5 Khz vs 6.25 Khz Nexedge

Absolutely no difference in audio between 12.5 Khz Nexedge and 6.25 Khz. Nexedge, also, we seem to get better range in 6.25 Khz. mode. We haven't yet found a reason to run Nexedge in 12.5 Khz BW. If your making comparisons make sure that you listen to the audio with the version 2.52 firmware. There is a very significant improvement in the audio with the new firmware.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I gather you didn't get a chance to try Nexedge out in 6.25 khz mode? I'd be curious to know how the audio compares in 6.25 khz mode to the 12.5 khz mode.

As to proprietary features, the Hytera has that, too. I'm sure that when a repeater and subscribers are put into their 'psuedo trunking' mode, that a MOTOTRBO subscriber won't work on that system anymore. And I know that Hytera's encryption isn't compatible with MOTOTRBO's encryption. And these features in the Hytera are not part of the DMR standard. So, why are aren't you complaining (or even just pointing out) the fact that Hytera has proprietary features, just like MOTOTRBO?

Also, the subscribers may be less, but last time I heard, the repeaters were quite a bit more, especially since you need two repeaters for every one MOTOTRBO repeater to get the same 'efficiency'. Of course, maybe they've dropped the prices of their repeaters.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

We were issued a repeater, portables and mobiles- and they were installed at the client's site programmed to their frequencies (yes, they are licensed for digital emissions) but the vendor did not program them for 6.25. However the vendor owns a large NexEdge TRS running 6.25 digital, so we were able to test it- and it sounded no different than 12.5. Both were superb, I do not know if they were running the latest firmware. I do know they made my XTS2500i (which does have the latest HOST/DSP) sound like a 1996 IS-136 cellular phone in comparison!

Status
Not open for further replies.