• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ZASTONE ZT-9908

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on the system.

The attachment shows 6.25KHz. I can't confirm it's NXDN or not, so I'm going off what Drachen says. Kenwood NXDN systems (NexEdge) can use 6.25KHz -OR- 12.5KHz. If the system is running in 12.5KHz NXDN mode, it won't work.

Also, if it is a trunked system, it may not decode it. The Kenwood NexEdge trunking systems send out a bit in the packet that tags it as a trunked system. A Kenwood NexEdge radio running in conventional digital mode will not unsquelch for a trunked system, even if you set the RAN to 0. It would be worth trying, though.

Drachen_Fire

I considered getting a pair to test, and downloaded the software. There doesn't appear to be a way to program trunking, and the only operating mode in digital appears to be 6.25. That means compatible with IDAS and 6.25 NXDN. I don't think it will work with 12.5 NXDN.

SCPD

QRT
I considered getting a pair to test, and downloaded the software. There doesn't appear to be a way to program trunking, and the only operating mode in digital appears to be 6.25. That means compatible with IDAS and 6.25 NXDN. I don't think it will work with 12.5 NXDN.

My only concern is there does not appear to be a section to program the RAN codes. Has anyone else been able to locate this in the software?

Also, if digital only operates in 6.25 khz mode... is there a frequency I can use license free to test? I don't think any license free frequencies have gone 6.25 khz to my knowledge.

Last edited:

JRayfield

DPMR = Digital Private Mobile Radio (a Common Air Interface protocol)
DMR = Digital Mobile Radio (a Common Air Interface protocol)
FDMA = Frequency Domain Multiple Access (a Channel Access Method)
TDMA = Time Domain Multiple Access (a Channel Access Method)

FDMA provides one 'communications path (voice or data)' per frequency/signal. Analog FM is an example of FDMA. So it P25 Phase 1. Thus, FDMA is uses with analog and digital systems.

TDMA is mulitple 'communications paths (voice or data)' per frequency/signal. DMR uses two-time-slot TDMA, to get two 'talk paths' per frequency/signal.

The DPMR protocol uses FDMA at 6.25 khz spacing.

MOTOTRBO uses the DMR protocol, which is TDMA at 12.5 khz spacing.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

DPMR = MotoTRBO, I believe...not iDAS or NXDN.

SCPD

QRT
The RAN accesses are under "Channel Code" on transmit and recieve. It is selectable 0-63. There are 64 RAN codes. I think this is how you do it.

Thanks, however I can't seem to find that in the programming software. Are we speaking about the Zastone? All I see an option for is TX and RX and the only options are DPL and PL. Do I go to a different options screen? Thanks!

Drachen_Fire

Yes. Leave the TX/RX PL codes to "None". Go to menu option "dpmr" and set up your digital system, including your RAN codes. Then go back to the main screen and set channel type to "digital". Note that you can have PL codes and RAN codes concurrently, and there is an option for "mixed".

SCPD

QRT
Yes. Leave the TX/RX PL codes to "None". Go to menu option "dpmr" and set up your digital system, including your RAN codes. Then go back to the main screen and set channel type to "digital". Note that you can have PL codes and RAN codes concurrently, and there is an option for "mixed".

Ahhh, I found it. It's listed as "RX/TX color"

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
So is it confirmed that this radio is compatible with NXDN and iDAS?

rjschilder

Zastone ZT-9908 = Luiton DG-9908

So I already owned a pair of Luiton DG-9908's purchased on Alibaba from Bond Telecom. It took a good 3-4 weeks to get them but i'm happy with them. I just saw these Zastone ZT-9908's yesterday and they look identical. So taking a leap of faith I used the ZT-9908 software to read/write to the DG-9908's since the DG-9908's don't have software posted on the manufacturers website... Success! Looks like the same radio, just re-branded.

I programmed in a local NXDN repeater but I can't get it to key up. I'm trying the 444.750+ (RAN 1) in Milwaukee. I'd love to use these on a repeater if possible. Anyone have suggestions / ideas? I tried narrow and wideband. Read the info from the radio after writing to verify.

-Ryan KC9GMY

rjschilder

So I already owned a pair of Luiton DG-9908's purchased on Alibaba from Bond Telecom. It took a good 3-4 weeks to get them but i'm happy with them. I just saw these Zastone ZT-9908's yesterday and they look identical. So taking a leap of faith I used the ZT-9908 software to read/write to the DG-9908's since the DG-9908's don't have software posted on the manufacturers website... Success! Looks like the same radio, just re-branded.

I programmed in a local NXDN repeater but I can't get it to key up. I'm trying the 444.750+ (RAN 1) in Milwaukee. I'd love to use these on a repeater if possible. Anyone have suggestions / ideas? I tried narrow and wideband. Read the info from the radio after writing to verify.

-Ryan KC9GMY

So after about 10 minutes of further research I noticed NXDN and DPMR are not compatible. Oh well.

-KC9GMY

oh6mwq_

SMS, anyone?

Hi folks, I've been messing around with pair of Zastones for few days. After few iteration rounds I finally managed to get a qso between them. For some odd reason, I can't receive SMS. The radio transmits, but other end does not receive the message. Any bright ideas?

The PC software is one messy piece of ****, and lack of documentation doesn't really help... Would someone please put a working config file to web?

- Jukka, oh6mwq

Status
Not open for further replies.