• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I've read NUMEROUS forums and articles about using discriminator taps/scanners and PCs to monitor MOTOTRBO radio traffic. I have NOT been able to find whether it is possible to use, for example, a Motorola XPR-6550 (a TRBO-capable radio) instead of a scanner, to obtain the audio of a TRBO system.

Is that possible and, if so, does it make the process easier than using a scanner?

Metrofire31
Western North Carolina
WQIT636

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I believe you would need all the info about who you want to scan. Group IDs, Color Codes, and TS for each.

SDR and DMR Decode can provide that.

If not encrypted or RAS you can then enter info into radio. Use RX ONLY on such a channel programmed in though. Don't know about doing it with any non reg Trbo like their trunking stuff.

No radio currently does CSQ or "Monitor all" for Trbo. That may change shortly but from what I understand its not possible now.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
So let me see 8 dollars for DSD Parts and Free Software That you know will work unless it is encoded. vs MotoTrbo Radio 300 plus and Motorola Software that is hard to get and it may not work. Easy choice if you ask me.

Premium Subscriber
We use a turbo system and your not getting on the system to hear anything without our admin making your radio...mobile or portable ID hot. Once you power up your radio has to verify with central and if not authorized your bricked from getting access.

A quote from the server set up software " IDs must be unique to
across all Talk Groups and Users " Further TRBO radios with up to date firmware won't monitor (unmute on) systems without the correct key in their codeplug.

Just my two cents from a system user

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That's only true if you're running a Connect Plus system with RAS enabled.

Even then, DSD can still be used to monitor the system.

RadioPatriots

I've read NUMEROUS forums and articles about using discriminator taps/scanners and PCs to monitor MOTOTRBO radio traffic. I have NOT been able to find whether it is possible to use, for example, a Motorola XPR-6550 (a TRBO-capable radio) instead of a scanner, to obtain the audio of a TRBO system.

Is that possible and, if so, does it make the process easier than using a scanner?

WQIT636

Yes you can monitor Moto's latest "TRBO" disaster with a scanner if it's set up right, as well as anything else that's transmitted. I have one I'd send out for free if you wanted it as I don't use it anymore.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Define "set up right".

I and a lot of other people would disagree with it being a disaster. Works great for me.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Yes you can monitor Moto's latest "TRBO" disaster

TRBO is a great selling product for us. After a hands on demo, people love it.

Small two repeater capacity plus trunking systems are taking off for us, IP site connect is just behind it.

Please define "disaster".

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have used Moto, Simoco, Hytera, and Connect Systems radios to monitor systems in our area. All the radios work great for listening to conventional repeaters, but the connect Systems radio works the best on trunking systems.

You would have to program the voice channels but since it only decodes the Groups that have been put into the radio you could selectively scan a DMR trunking system quite well.

For the price the CS radios are worth it too, cheaper then a digital scanner. Take some time playing with DSD and a tapped scanner first before you decide to spend the money.

RadioPatriots

Define "set up right".

I and a lot of other people would disagree with it being a disaster. Works great for me.

"Set up right" in the way that you've either tapped the existing discriminator as it is, modified the existing circuit to tap it more effectively for the specific purpose, or modified and/or replaced one or a number of components altogether to optimize the discriminative block for an intended purpose.

"Disaster" is a misnomer here. Somewhat disappointing, to myself personally, would have been the better expression. For their price point, target demographic and uses, IMO they're reasonable.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
We use a turbo system and your not getting on the system to hear anything without our admin making your radio...mobile or portable ID hot. Once you power up your radio has to verify with central and if not authorized your bricked from getting access.

A quote from the server set up software " IDs must be unique to
across all Talk Groups and Users " Further TRBO radios with up to date firmware won't monitor (unmute on) systems without the correct key in their codeplug.

Just my two cents from a system user

This only applies to systems using RAS. Otherwise any TRBO system can be passively monitored. If RAS is being used you can still listen with DSD+. If you really want to keep people from listening you would need to use RAS + privacy.

RadioPatriots

This only applies to systems using RAS. Otherwise any TRBO system can be passively monitored. If RAS is being used you can still listen with DSD+. If you really want to keep people from listening you would need to use RAS + privacy.

You can also listen using a TRBO radio. You modify the radio. The radio is a TRBO decoder, just like DSD+. And all the nonsense the fools at Moto add on (RAS, Signaling, TPTs, etc) becomes irrelevant.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
We have found in testing that many times non Moto radios outperform the motos in scanning. Especially on Capacity Plus trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.