• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Most Widely Used Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goaheadover

Banned
Does anyone have a list of the most used digital mode around the World?

I am guessing DMR is number one? Thanks...

SCPD

QRT
In da hood

Does anyone have a list of the most used digital mode around the World?

I am guessing DMR is number one? Thanks...

Can't speak for around the world, but in Metro Detroit it's DMR.
Got about a half dozen machines in the area, fairly active.
There is one VHF P25 machine that is sometimes active.
There is one Dstar repeater listed in the directory, I have the frequency programmed in a scanner, but I've never heard it break the squelch.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If the OP is asking about world-wide usage for all radio services, then DMR may be at the top of the list followed by P25 (in North America) and Tetra (in Europe). Ham radio usage of digital voice modes is minor compared to what the land mobile folks are doing.

Voyager

I would echo what BU said. But, are we talking about:

1. Number of systems deployed?

2. Number of total users on each mode?

3. Total square miles covered by each mode?

"Used" is not a simple variable.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
So my understanding (guys correct me please if you feel the need to) is most digital communications are mostly niched in regions.

P25 - North America
TETRA - Europe

DMR - Starting to bridge between the ponds
NXDN - Can't speak much on NXDN. Most dealers I know that are installing NXDN systems…are hedging their bets with DMR.

Raccon

Although TETRA originated in Europe it is also widely used in the Middle East, Asia and Oceania.

Quasar_A

In Russia use P25 at UHF in biggest cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Novosibirsk and etc.
In small cities they use DMR, hardly ever IDAS.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
There's a pretty large dmr following in nc,sc, and east tn. Seems to be more popular than p25 around here

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There's a pretty large dmr following in nc,sc, and east tn. Seems to be more popular than p25 around here

DMR is the cheaper of the three out of P25, Tetra and DMR (like I said I can't speak to NXDN). P25 is so abundant in public safety because if you say you are putting in a P25 system in the US, the federal government throws money at you to help you pay for it. They won't do that for public safety running on other digital mediums.

It may also be worth noting currently TETRA is UHF only, no VHF (unless my information has recently become wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.