• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
OK, I'm a dummy, but what DMR modes are being listened to with this radio? Ham modes? Turbo? Nexden? I', very curious.

W8PRR

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
There is only one DMR 'mode'... DMR. MotoTRBO is Motorola's flavor of DMR. NexEdge is a Kenwood/Icom digital format, completely different technology.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to be stupid, as you suggest, but to me DMR was a digital mode and I was just asking exactly what was being said. I'll remember that stupid people shouldn't ask questions here.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to be stupid, as you suggest, but to me DMR was a digital mode and I was just asking exactly what was being said. I'll remember that stupid people shouldn't ask questions here.
No one made any such insinuation. A simple and concise answer to a common question was given with no hidden agendas or condescension given nor implied.

DMR is not just limited to ham usage either. There are many business and governmental agencies who have opted in to the DMR scheme, especially since they are not limited to only the "Big /\/\..." :)

The only reason why the majority of ham repeaters are /\/\otorola is because only they support the IP Connect that allows them to be linked via the internet easily.

Hytera and other manufacturers build DMR equipment as well.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Please show me where I suggested you were stupid? You asked a question, I gave you a quick answer. Relax my friend!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
OK, I'm a dummy, but what DMR modes are being listened to with this radio? Ham modes? Turbo? Nexden? I', very curious.

W8PRR
I think he was referring to a specific radio and asking what modes can be received with that specific radio (which wasn't identified in his question). W8PRR, when you wrote "this radio" what radio were you asking about?

bharvey2

I'm going to guess as to why there is confusion: The DMR acronym stands for digital mobile radio. For someone unfamiliar with it, it may seem to encompass all forms of digital radio. The term is misleading. DMR is a specific standard of digital radio as is NXDN, P25, etc. Turbo is just Motorola's spin on the ETSI standard of DMR.

W8PPR, I don't think anyone was implying at all that you are dumb or that your question is stupid. I don't think your question is clear. In fact, I may be misreading it as well. I hope that clears things up. If, I'm on the wrong track, please rephrase your question. Most people here are happy to help out. That's why they're here.

SCPD

QRT
And I'll put it another way. (your post was fine Harvey):

There are several different digital radio modes now. Digital Mobile Radio is one mode. Icom's Dstar is another. Yaesu's Fusion is another. There is also Tetra, P25, and the commercial Icom and Kenwood flavors, which I don't know a whole lot about.

The three most popular now in ham radio are Icom's Dstar, Yaesu's Fusion, and DMR. The first two are basically proprietary to the perspective manufacturer. If you want to go that route, you need to buy that brand of radio, or get something called a software dongle, which is basically a fat usb stick that plugs into your computer.

DMR is offered by several manufacturers. The highest cost radios are made by Motorola, all the way down to the lowest cost radios made by a company called Tytera. All DMR radios can talk to each other, for the most part. I say for the most part, because as you go economy, you can sometimes get some audio issues, firmware issues, etc. DMR repeaters are linked together through the internet. An individual can put up a DMR digital ham repeater, give it an IP address, and all the DMR repeaters linked together can be configured to communicate with each other.

DMR has what's called talkgroups. There are LOTS of DMR talkgroups. Repeater owners decide which ones they want on their machine. So for example there is a talkgroup 310. You program that talkgroup into your radio, and are able to talk to anyone on any repeater that also has this talkgroup in their radio, and in the repeater they are using somewhere in this big wide world. There are DMR repeaters everywhere in the world. There are many local, regional and worldwide talkgroups.

The same can also be said about Dstar and Fusion. There are Dstar repeaters linked over the net, there are Fusion repeaters linlked over the net. Yaesu's Fusion is the newest flavor of the three, and is picking up steam because Yaesu has been offering $500 repeaters for that mode. It's a great price for a repeater, and many people are putting them up.

There are no links between Dstar and Fusion, or Fusion and DMR, etc, that I know of anyway.

Last edited:

QDP2012

W8PRR

I'm still learning about DMR, etc. and don't have a great answer for you. And, these RR Wiki pages might not answer your questions, but maybe they will be a stepping stone to the answers, in addition to what everyone has shared above.

In the RR Wiki Category:Trunktracking Glossary, you can find these articles (and others) that might be helpful:

Hope this helps,

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I think he was referring to a specific radio and asking what modes can be received with that specific radio (which wasn't identified in his question). W8PRR, when you wrote "this radio" what radio were you asking about?

This conversation was spun off the Tytera MD-380 thread. That was the radio being referred to in the first post by w8prr.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
No one made any such insinuation. A simple and concise answer to a common question was given with no hidden agendas or condescension given nor implied.

DMR is not just limited to ham usage either. There are many business and governmental agencies who have opted in to the DMR scheme, especially since they are not limited to only the "Big /\/\..." :)

The only reason why the majority of ham repeaters are /\/\otorola is because only they support the IP Connect that allows them to be linked via the internet easily.

Hytera and other manufacturers build DMR equipment as well.

I'd actually say the reason majority of them are Motorola isn't because of IP site connect. All DMR manufacturers have IP connectivity which basically consists of setting a master and connecting all the slaves. Everyone's approach is proprietary (but mostly the same as far as ease of setup goes). A Motorola network won't talk to Simoco, Simoco won't talk to Hytera, Hytera won't talk to Tait, Tait won't talk to Vertex, Vertex won't talk to Tytera, etc. on the IP side of things.

I'd say that Motorola was just the first real company with available product for consumers to purchase when it comes to DMR and have been available for 6 or 7 years now. Simoco, Tait, Hytera, et all are just starting to get off the ground. Especially here stateside.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
A Motorola network won't talk to Simoco, Simoco won't talk to Hytera, Hytera won't talk to Tait, Tait won't talk to Vertex, Vertex won't talk to Tytera, etc. on the IP side of things.

I'd say that Motorola was just the first real company with available product for consumers to purchase when it comes to DMR and have been available for 6 or 7 years now. Simoco, Tait, Hytera, et all are just starting to get off the ground. Especially here stateside.
I should have better qualified my original statement to indicate that point better. The chief arbiter was (and still is) that the infrastructure of DMR-MARC was limited to the proprietary IP Site Connect system of the Big /\/\. Also, there is an arbitrary position adopted by DMR-MARC that insists they do not want other systems interconnected with their talk groups.

A repeater owner/trustee/keeper of course is perfectly free to carry other network's TGs on their repeater if they wish.

N4KVE

DMR. aka DIGITAL MOBILE RADIO, is an open format that anyone can make. While D-Star, & Fusion were designed to be used for ham radio only, DMR was designed for business use, but has been adapted for use with ham radio. At the top of the DMR food chain is Motorola, & at the bottom is Tytera. There are several other mfr's in between. As with anything, you get what you pay for. More $ for more features, but they all seem to work.

Raccon

There is only one DMR 'mode'... DMR. MotoTRBO is Motorola's flavor of DMR. NexEdge is a Kenwood/Icom digital format, completely different technology.
It could be argued that each DMR tier is a different "mode".

Status
Not open for further replies.