RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself You're cheap, admit it. Now go discuss how to do it yourself with others

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 9:39 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Think a screen like what is in my window would work? I know you don't connect it, right?

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

as long as it's a conductive material. Nylon screen of course won't work. and no you don't connect it
Old 06-09-2010, 9:36 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Well, the good Lord willing and the tide don't rise, I'm going to try to access the roof of the building and snake the coax down the same conduit with our satellite (company only) feed. HOPEFULLY it will go all the say down since I don't have a fish tape.

/
\/\|k.e

Old 06-12-2010, 8:54 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Just an update, I brought my extra coax & connectors to the store today and went up to the roof and attached the antenna to an existing mount (don't ask what it was cause I don't know, but there is nothing connected to it). Went back down to the break room and plugged it in and hit rescan. Went from a total of 15 channels to 56! The furthest being approximately 53 miles away! The antenna is situated approximately 35 feet above ground level. Not bad for a home brew!

Now, that since it's going to be an outside antenna, I think I'm going to do a redesign and build another one, but with plastics or other weatherproof materials. Yes, I could just buy one and put it up, but it's more satisfaction building it yourself!
Attached Images

/
\/\|k.e

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Every single bit of this is killing me... I love it! I think the funniest part is every time I see the antenna, the "HD" attracts my eye! Good job!
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2010, 9:55 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Don't forget the $9.00 price tag!

/
\/\|k.e

Old 12-24-2010, 3:44 PM

I have one of them hooked up to my scanner and it works much better then the one that came with the unit.
Old 12-24-2010, 7:50 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

It's been up there for 6 months and is still bringing the stations!

/
\/\|k.e

Old 03-01-2011, 5:56 PM

I built one of those and threw it up in my attic for the hell of it a couple of summers ago. Got a single RG-6 feedline coming off of it and splitting to 4 TVs now, all 4 of them receiving everything listed as available in my area. I guess it helps that I have direct line of sight to all but two of the transmitter sites, but I'm pretty impressed for something I built out of 4 coat hangers and a piece of 2x4.
Sponsored links

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM

I built one of these antennas a couple of years ago and I was knocked over with how well it worked

I was [and still am] 32-34 miles from the local towers in the next county

Inside the house, on the ground floor, I received all the local channels, 30 or so main and sub channels

I have moved since then, but only 5 or so miles away, so my results should be very similar

I'm going to build a larger version, I have a 50" long board, so I will make it with 8 bays,
[I'm thinking of feeding it with quad-shield coax] and mount it outside

hmmmmmm, I may use a 6' board and do 12 bays LOL

Does anyone have any input on whether I should use PVC pipe or metal for the mast?

I'm going to sink the mast into the ground instead of roof mounting it,
that's partially why I'm wondering about metal vs PVC
Motorola T4300 Uniden GMR325 Cobra PR-955 ICOM F4GT-2 Realistic DX-400
Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I thought...

...that when they reformed the channEls that they did away with the VHF?
Old 01-28-2014, 1:11 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddleMan View Post
...that when they reformed the channEls that they did away with the VHF?
Nope, there are several VHF HDTV stations here in the US. I'm not talking about those that used to be on VHF (say Channel 4) and although they now broadcast on channel 37 still call themselves channel 4. I'm talking about the ones that currently broadcast their HD signals on the VHF channels. Many have had problems since the digital signals and lower power levels don't penetrate quite as well on the VHF channels and many have added UHF translators to help spread their signal around. This issue is partially due to the penetration and power level issues, but it's also due to many antenna makers push the UHF only antennas since they're smaller and easier to sell.

Here in the DFW area, we have full power stations on channels 8 & 9 and low power (broadcast and translator) stations on 2, 4, 6, and 10. This is in addition to the ones that broadcast on UHF channels. Note that the low power/translators on 2 & 4 are different from the full power stations that call themselves channel 2 (broadcast on UHF 43) and channel 4 (broadcast on UHF 35).

We actually still have a couple of analog TV channels as well. They're all low power and hard to pick up, but still exist legally since the low power stations didn't have to convert like their higher power cousin did.

Use the FCC search tool (http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/tv-q...station-search) to see how the stations in your area stack up. You'll probably find a few on VHF and perhaps even a few that are still analog.

Last edited by n5ims; 01-28-2014 at 1:17 AM..
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM

This is my first time to see this, but it seems very easy.
Old 01-31-2014, 7:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Last year the wife and I built a bow-tie antenna for our tv (like the pics above) and we can receive 22 channels with the antenna being 6 - 8 feet high inside of the house.
I am located in Ohio between Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. The only draw back is that I can only receive stations broadcasting from Columbus and Dayton but not Cincinnati.
The distance between Columbus and Cincinnati are almost equal, but being closer to Dayton.
This weekend we are going to put a reflector on the back side to see if we can get more channels. I know the reflector will make the antenna directional but I'm just curious to see what happens.
All in all I am happy with how it works.
ICOM 3230A 2m/440 Kenwood TH-F6 Wouxon KG-UV3D 2m/440 President HR2510 10 meter
Old 02-12-2014, 4:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but these are available locally for a whole $13. With their reflector, they probably work better than the home made versions. Don't get me wrong, DIY is a fine tradition, but there isn't much cost savings incentive on this one.
Where do you get these so cheap?
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2014, 4:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7spectra View Post
Just an update, I brought my extra coax & connectors to the store today and went up to the roof and attached the antenna to an existing mount (don't ask what it was cause I don't know, but there is nothing connected to it). Went back down to the break room and plugged it in and hit rescan. Went from a total of 15 channels to 56! The furthest being approximately 53 miles away! The antenna is situated approximately 35 feet above ground level. Not bad for a home brew!

Now, that since it's going to be an outside antenna, I think I'm going to do a redesign and build another one, but with plastics or other weatherproof materials. Yes, I could just buy one and put it up, but it's more satisfaction building it yourself!
I'd say the height is doing most of the work here.Height is Might!