RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself You're cheap, admit it. Now go discuss how to do it yourself with others

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 3:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Which generator outlet plug(s) to use

I want to run the output of my generator into a plug in my house (generator use only). If the picture comes up, I have a 240v 20 amp output plug and a 120v 30 amp output plug. If I understand, if I run the 240v 20 amp and split inside the house to 2 120v outlets that will only give me 10amps each outlet or is that 20amps on both 120v legs? If I run the 120v 30 amp output into the house will that give me a 30 amp outlet inside the house? Which is the better run into the house or should I run both the 240v and the 120v into 2 separate inputs into the house? I'm confused.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2012, 5:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would run the 120/240 one into the house and use at least 12-3(with ground-actually 4 wires) then you would have 2-20 amp 120V circuits to use. Don't forget that you couldn't still use the other receptacles on the generator at the same time without possibly overloading it.
Old 09-20-2012, 4:48 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Are you talking about using the output of your generator to back-feed electricity into your house through a wall outlet? Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Generally, both plugs in a 120 volt wall outlet are on the same circuit. The maximum rating of that circuit is generally 15 amps for most residential outlets. Kitchen, garage, and laundry room 120 volt outlets are generally 20 amp circuits. That means that the most current you can put into your house with your plan is 20 amps and I doubt that you can run everything in your house on 20 amps.

The other issue with feeding your house electrical system with a generator is what happens outside your house. If your house is energized by the generator and is not isolated from the power company's electrical grid, you are, in essence, energizing the grid with your generator. When the power company linemen come along to repair the grid outside your house, they risk being electrocuted by your generator. Professional generator installations include a transfer switch to keep this from happening. In the normal position, the transfer switch feeds power from the grid to your main breaker panel and the generator is disconnected. In the generator position, the transfer switch feeds power from the generator and the grid is disconnected.

If you are planning to use the generator to energize circuits in your house, you should probably consult a professional electrician to make sure you aren't doing something that's potentially unsafe to you or the power company employees.

Of course, if you are just going to run extension cords into the house from the generator so you can plug a few house appliances into the generator, ignore my comments above.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 09-20-2012, 7:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks!! No, I'm not plugging into my electrical outlets. I just want to run a separate inlet on the outside to plug my generator into then have a separate generator outlet on the inside. This way I don't have to keep doors or a window open to run extensions through.

I'll run the 120/240 line.

What really boggles my mind is that my dads generator is 4400 max output and he has a 30amp 120/240 line output. My generator is 6500 max output and all I have is a 20amp 120/240 output. I have my output plugs than him though.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The ratings of the outlets on the generator are just the ratings of the outlets. The maximum your generator can produce is 6500 watts. The outlets are capable of delivering the rating shown as long as the total load plugged into those outlets doesn't exceed 6500 watts.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2012, 6:37 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you're that confused I STRONGLY suggest you have a licensed electrical contractor install it according to code for the protection of life and property, that's why the code came into being and what separates experienced professionals from foolhardy amateurs. It's not as simple as you think, you're certainly barking up the wrong tree here. In any case wiring up a jumper and plugging it into a wall outlet is NOT the way to go unless you like putting yourself, your property and your family in grave danger.
Old 09-21-2012, 8:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
If you're that confused I STRONGLY suggest you have a licensed electrical contractor install it according to code for the protection of life and property, that's why the code came into being and what separates experienced professionals from foolhardy amateurs. It's not as simple as you think, you're certainly barking up the wrong tree here. In any case wiring up a jumper and plugging it into a wall outlet is NOT the way to go unless you like putting yourself, your property and your family in grave danger.
I agree, I assumed he was just going to run a few SEPARATE receptacles into the house. Also add to your list of in grave danger the linemen that may be working in the area--Warren knows that transformers work both ways---
Old 09-22-2012, 8:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default +3 with Warren!

If you don't understand or know what you're doing with electricity, you can end up dead, house burned down, framily dead.
Old 09-22-2012, 9:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was just looking for an opinion on which circuit is better to run. I figured the 240 but memory lapse on if the 240 would give me two 20amps or two 10amps. From there I am fine. Know how to run the wire to the inlets/outlets.
Sponsored links

Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz55 View Post
I was just looking for an opinion on which circuit is better to run. I figured the 240 but memory lapse on if the 240 would give me two 20amps or two 10amps. From there I am fine. Know how to run the wire to the inlets/outlets.
You have not explained the details of how you plan to wire the connection from the generator nor how you plan to connect the house circuits. It isn't possible to get an informed opinion without those details.

You don't seem to understand your generator's capabilities. 6500 Watts may be the peak rating with 5000 Watts continuous capability. Do you have a manual for the generator or can you provide a model number?

There is more to hooking a generator to the house wiring than you might imagine. That is, if you want to do it safely. If you insist on doing this yourself, at least have an electrician inspect the work when you are done. Paying the electrician will be cheaper than rebuilding the house after a fire.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Folks, read the post. He wants to install a dedicated outlet inside the house so he doesn't have to run extension cords through the window. Why jump down his throat if you didn't read the post. Jeez.

For the OP- the generator manual should show you how to set up the generator outlet.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would start off by asking do you need 240 volt? If you don't then the 30 amp 110 volt should be sufficient. 30 amp is quite enough current to run most things in your home as long as they are not all running at 1 time.

If I understand you correctly you may be better served by looking into a generlink transfer switch. This is a cost effective way to run a generator in your home without the huge expense of wiring a transfer switch up to your circuit box. Your utility company installs it and then adds the cost of the transfer switch to your monthly bill.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/4ubu8yhe.jpg

Darrin kb8ecf

Sent from the trenches of Cbus on my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Google. Reliance transfer switches
Old 09-23-2012, 1:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumacop View Post
I would start off by asking do you need 240 volt? If you don't then the 30 amp 110 volt should be sufficient. 30 amp is quite enough current to run most things in your home as long as they are not all running at 1 time.

If I understand you correctly you may be better served by looking into a generlink transfer switch. This is a cost effective way to run a generator in your home without the huge expense of wiring a transfer switch up to your circuit box. Your utility company installs it and then adds the cost of the transfer switch to your monthly bill.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/4ubu8yhe.jpg

Darrin kb8ecf

Sent from the trenches of Cbus on my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
This simple question has really turned into a ball of wax; but since the op has said he only wants to bring the gen power in the house without connecting it to any premises wiring, he would be better served by doing it the way I suggested with the 120/240 setup because he would actually have 2-20 amp circuits and have less voltage drop and better voltage regulation (for reasons I won't go into here) and the load on the gen would have a better chance of being balanced (Which is good) even tho he doesn't need the 240V
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayne View Post
This simple question has really turned into a ball of wax; but since the op has said he only wants to bring the gen power in the house without connecting it to any premises wiring, he would be better served by doing it the way I suggested with the 120/240 setup because he would actually have 2-20 amp circuits and have less voltage drop and better voltage regulation (for reasons I won't go into here) and the load on the gen would have a better chance of being balanced (Which is good) even tho he doesn't need the 240V
Agreed on all points, however this outlet will serve no purpose if it is never connected to anything. The means of connection to the outlet needs careful consideration for safety.

To install the outlet a weather proof power inlet box is needed. Reliance makes a suitable one: PB20 Transfer Switch Accessory | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation

Reliance also provides helpful instructions for the power inlet box: http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Docu...structions.pdf. This is must reading before beginning the work.

My generator manual has very little about installation, mostly consisting of warnings to hire an electrician and use a transfer switch. Companies like Reliance will be a better source of information regarding installation.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No need for any power inlet box, just have a pigtail as long as he needs to reach the Generator at least 12/4 such as SO cable (if it is only for emergency use) run it thru a 3/4 nipple into the back of a 4" box with 2-20 amp duplex receptacles mounted on an outside wall (on the inside, of course) and roll the pigtail up when not needed. If a permanent run to the generator is desired bury 3/4 PVC & 4/12's. The most expensive item will be the 20 amp 4 wire twist lock to fit the Gen
If money is no object have an electrician do the whole thing.