Guelph Fleetnet towers & t/g 320

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi. On occasion I am able to pick up the Woodlawn Guelph tower from my balcony in Burlington.

I heard some activity on Guelph city talkgroup 320, Police Ops 1. It seems that Guelph uses 900 codes like Halton and I did hear some activity with Alfa codes, from memory I think Delta was used to distinguish Police cars.
There are members in the area for sure so I ask: Does Guelph PD use soft ids like the OPP or Halton or do they have set patrol areas like Toronto & would the 'delta' car patrol an area and another alpha code (charley?) patrol another area?

Do calls go out on Ops 1 (320) and then get switched to other PD talkgroups? I have only heard t/g 320 off Woodlawn?

Secondly, I notice that Woodlawn is in the northwest of Guelph & the site 002 tower for city activity is what looks like in the cirty centre. I am guessing that Woodlawn is on higher ground than the city tower, I cannot ever get site #002 from Burlington.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

jellotor

Steve and others can probably clarify, but I think Woodlawn was added to increase coverage for the areas around (and specifically north) of Guelph. You can probably remember heading up north on Hwy 6 and hitting a relatively dead spot between Guelph and Fergus, Eric.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Steve and others can probably clarify, but I think Woodlawn was added to increase coverage for the areas around (and specifically north) of Guelph. You can probably remember heading up north on Hwy 6 and hitting a relatively dead spot between Guelph and Fergus, Eric.

All too well, Graeme:

Had to switch to Listowel.

Thank You.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Hi. On occasion I am able to pick up the Woodlawn Guelph tower from my balcony in Burlington.

I heard some activity on Guelph city talkgroup 320, Police Ops 1. It seems that Guelph uses 900 codes like Halton and I did hear some activity with Alfa codes, from memory I think Delta was used to distinguish Police cars.
There are members in the area for sure so I ask: Does Guelph PD use soft ids like the OPP or Halton or do they have set patrol areas like Toronto & would the 'delta' car patrol an area and another alpha code (charley?) patrol another area?

Guelph uses the same 900 codes as Waterloo, I believe a copy of the codes are in the files section of Scanont and possibly in the database section of this site under Waterloo Regions Edacs system. As for the delta I believe it will be related to what shift they are working. They may have the exact same unit logged on but one unit will be days and one be a late start or nights.

Do calls go out on Ops 1 (320) and then get switched to other PD talkgroups? I have only heard t/g 320 off Woodlawn?

I am pretty sure all calls are on the Ops 1 group. The only time I have heard other groups used is during a major event like a stand off.

Secondly, I notice that Woodlawn is in the northwest of Guelph & the site 002 tower for city activity is what looks like in the cirty centre. I am guessing that Woodlawn is on higher ground than the city tower, I cannot ever get site #002 from Burlington.

You are correct. The Woodlawn site is on the old MTO tower at the north end of the city and has wide area coverage.

The Guelph City site is downtown on a highrise building and is designed for City coverage including portable coverage. I believe this is the only site on the Fleetnet system that was designed for portable coverage and has 3 voters receivers from what I understand. The rest of the system was designed for mobile coverage hense the reason for the mobile repeaters for portable coverage. The only users that are allowed to afflitiate with the Guelph City site is Guelph Police and Fire. All other Fleetnet users were forced to use either the Cedarwoods or Ballinafad towers for coverage in Guelph. This didn't work out well especially for EMS so the Woodlawn site was added aprox 2 years ago.

The funny part is the Guelph PD and Fire radios are allowed to affiliate outside of the Guelph city site so you will see TG 320 and TG 400 pop up on the Woodlawn and Cedarwoods sites once in a while.

jellotor

The funny part is the Guelph PD and Fire radios are allowed to affiliate outside of the Guelph city site so you will see TG 320 and TG 400 pop up on the Woodlawn and Cedarwoods sites once in a while.

Very true, I've seen 320 pop up on the Charlton site a number of times...always thought that was interesting.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Maybe they were on a M/A call in the south of Wellington & it affiliated?
Charlton has pretty good coverage to the north into Puslinch & Flamborough, not so good towards Haldimand IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.