Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersight

I'm listening to MTO and OPP doing a blitz in the Bolton area. I'm hearing a VR channel I haven't heard before. It's not in the RR DB. It's 412.4625 / ct 107.2 - I'm hearing 1 Sierra (Caledon) and MTO units on this freq.
Not sure if this is a new VR channel or just one that is rarely used. It's the first time I've heard this one. Maybe other users can plug this one in their scanners to see if can hear any comms in their area too.

Last edited:

hypersight

Could it be one of the MTO repeaters?

Yes, I'm assuming it's an MTO VR. I'm hearing the same comms on OPP VR01 as well.

EDIT: There's actually 2 blitz locations fairly close to each other - one in Bolton and one a little further east in Caledon so I'm thinking it's a second MTO VR so it doesn't interfere with the comms being used in Caledon. 411.6875 is being used in Caledon.

Last edited:

hypersight

Finally figured this one out. It's beat repeater for the Bolton area. I guess they need it for the increased amount of foot patrols in downtown Bolton.

DaveH

Finally figured this one out. It's beat repeater for the Bolton area. I guess they need it for the increased amount of foot patrols in downtown Bolton.

I'm a bit surprised (or should I be) by the underwhelming response to finding a new
undocumented frequency. Good find! It may be a one-of-a-kind assignment or may
pop up elsewhere so people ought to plug this one in.

Dave

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's one of those I'll believe it when I hear it. I've yet to travel down far enough towards Bolton to verify it.

It's just weird that they would not use one of the regular BEAT frequencies given that there's nothing really close to Bolton on one of these frequencies. Typically the BEAT repeaters are just VR's with antennas mounted on a high structure. Easy for BMR to deploy and no changes required.

It would make much more sense that they would use an existing frequency since the portables are already programmed for the BEAT channels.

I'll have to try and head down and confirm the frequency.

hypersight

I'm a bit surprised (or should I be) by the underwhelming response to finding a new
undocumented frequency. Good find! It may be a one-of-a-kind assignment or may
pop up elsewhere so people ought to plug this one in.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
Yeah, I guess nobody really cares a about an anolog beat repeater in a little town called Bolton. heh:)

hypersight

It's one of those I'll believe it when I hear it. I've yet to travel down far enough towards Bolton to verify it.

It's just weird that they would not use one of the regular BEAT frequencies given that there's nothing really close to Bolton on one of these frequencies. Typically the BEAT repeaters are just VR's with antennas mounted on a high structure. Easy for BMR to deploy and no changes required.

It would make much more sense that they would use an existing frequency since the portables are already programmed for the BEAT channels.

I'll have to try and head down and confirm the frequency.

You won't have any trouble hearing it. It's throwing a pretty good signal out. I can receive it in my mobile as far away as hwy 427 & 7....about 15 Km away.

Last edited:

unpltd

I have had this one plugged into my BCT15 since you posted it, and I have been getting a fare amount of hits off of it. I'm roughly 30km away... just small talk, running tags and stuff.. Noothign to give it a solid ID... Thanks for the update!

hypersight

I took a walk by the Bolton Detatchment today and noticed an antenna mounted on the side of their building. I snapped a couple of pics. It wasn't there during the first week of August when I was last by there.

OPPAnt.jpg

OPPAnt2.jpg

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
VHF antenna to access Fleetnet - I am guessing the UHF antenna is somewhere on the roof.

I took a walk by the Bolton Detatchment today and noticed an antenna mounted on the side of their building. I snapped a couple of pics. It wasn't there during the first week of August when I was last by there.

OPPAnt.jpg

OPPAnt2.jpg

hypersight

I was looking around for a smaller antenna on the building but I couldn't see anything else up there. At the very top of the mast you can see a smaller rod protruding up. Could this be a UHF antenna?

DaveH

I was looking around for a smaller antenna on the building but I couldn't see anything else up there. At the very top of the mast you can see a smaller rod protruding up. Could this be a UHF antenna?

Possible but not likely. It looks like lightening protection, and I only see one coax
coming out the pipe bottom. An antenna that size at that height wouldn't put
out a signal that can be heard at 30km.

Dave

Junior76sx

That looks like a single sinclair antenna

That looks like a single sinclair antenna. I am just not sure what band that one is set up for. It could be for amateur radio equipment that was set up for A.R.E.S. use.

OPPAnt.jpg

OPPAnt2.jpg

73 de
VA3NDJ

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Be interesting if someone complains about it (its overhanging on public space - suppose to be a setback from the sidewalk).

But I doubt the bylaw officer will go running into the OPP detachment telling them to take it down.

hitsfm

these antennas are mounted up here in zone 3 on everry opp mto an hospitals on the side of all buildings the same way

derevs

Check the cables carefully

If you look at the picture carefully, you will see that there is a gray cable along with the large black cable. Also note that the cap at the top of the pole is black (not the usual galvanized cap, so it is probably plastic and has that look about it) and the object sticking out of it an appropriate size for a UHF antenna.

There are also 2 other cables coming from the upper roof.

Also I assume the vehicle repeaters are portable/car only, hence the UHF antenna on the car. By the by, this system was originally installed in Ontario ambulances years ago and work exactly that way.

hypersight

If you look at the picture carefully, you will see that there is a gray cable along with the large black cable. /quote]

Actually the grey cable just goes to the power meters below the antenna. I noticed that when I snapped those pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.