Tropospheric Ducting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

Fall is around the corner, and it seems like its that time of year again, with the cool nights that we get that popular rf tropospheric ducting. I am in Ontario, picking up VHF and UHF signals both analog and digital from Syracuse NY and Albany, NY , Pennsylvania, a few french comms from quebec. It would seem theres quite an extension in listening to Fleetnet Control Towers i would not normally pick up. Plenty of WX stations, as well as EMS and Fire Dept's coming in pretty good from the Key stone and Empire states.

Any of the other members, get some good ducting hits?

It would seem last few nights have been great for this type of activity.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Yesterday morning I was getting the Fleetnet towers to the east of me. I was listening to the Quinte West and Kingtson units.

rcvmo

I'm hearing N. Lower Penninsula Mi. VHF PD/FD/EMS Most counties from my radio shop in Ann Arbor.
rcvmo

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Been hearing lots of traffic out of Ohio, PA and NY this morning. Heard the 162.400 Cleveland transmitter overtop the CN tower, couldn't even hear a hetrodyne it was so strong.

hemi

sometimes its amazing how far you can hear things from years ago in the spring and fall i listened to tonnes of stuff from California down in 39.000-43.000. loved those souther accents from the deep south to.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Was getting Bancroft and Ottawa Fleetnet towers, both of which I don't normally recieve on a regular basis. Ya I know not that far, but was able to hear OPP/EMS though.

For having a discone antenna, I'm actually suprised that I get Ottawa Public Safety system on 800 mhz more often than the VHF Fleetnet. Maybe because the West tower for the City system is a bit closer to me than the VHF Fleetnet tower.

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

Well, according to the William Hepburn Tropo Index Forecast, which i use.

Southern and Eastern Ontario are supposed to have strong with pockets of very strong ducting windows between tuesday and wednesday. These would be marked with yellow and dark yellow areas on the map. Look at the englarged map. Below where it says 42 Hour Forecast.

For those interested in looking at the DX info map for this week. Follow the link

Each Map for is for a different time period during the day in UTC time segments

link:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.