niche? sp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi. Has anyone noticed that in the last little while when the OPP units are running plates and collecting $ (dig) 27, 28, 29, that they are asking for something called niche.

Is this not used normally for Americans crimminal status?
The plates and people being checked had canadian plates?

Name change system change?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Is this new?
I was on holiday the last 2 weeks and notcied I heard NICHE a lot when listening to the OPP.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
no.. it's not new. I've been hearing it for years out here in Eastern Ontario.

OK...Normally when I heard plates/people being run here in the GTA they mention cni for canadian people and NICHE for American plates.
Lately in OPP areas such as the GTA and the SW on various talkgroups including Wellington 8416, N.Grey/SouthBruce/Bruce Pen patch 8352, on the Huron, Brant, Oxford Halidimand, P.Credit/Cambridger, etc etc etc talkgroups I have heard them ask for info on the plates using the NICHE.

Like you, I have been hearing the OPP for years now and am either numb beyond belief (it is possible, lol) or something has slightly changed.

pkneeyahx

Human
I thought the exact same thing as you.. ie a separate RMS for Canadians and NICHE RMS for Americans... but I've heard them say Niche for both.. and RMS for both for quite some time. it's my understanding that it's just one. If I'm totally off base, I'm sure I'll be corrected. ;]

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
OK...Normally when I heard plates/people being run here in the GTA they mention cni for canadian people and NICHE for American plates.

Hey Eric, While I was down in Rochester NY.last weekend I noticed that New York State is issueing EJB- **** license plates. :D

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Are you sure you aren't confusing Niche with NCIC? As mentioned, Niche is a local records database (replaced OMPAC if I'm not mistaken). Canadian plates are run thru the MTO, people thru CPIC. US queries go thru NCIC.

sirsmiley

Niche for ontario is a provincial system but has an access module to CPIC which is canada wide, it also has ability to do lookup via MTO and other provinces transportation departments

Status
Not open for further replies.