newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3duke

Good day everyone,

I'm currently looking at purchasing some radio equipment off ebay, and was wondering if someone could provide guidance with regard to what to buy. My requirements are very simple: I'm a hunter and when I'm off on my hunting trips (mostly in ZECs) I need reliable radio that will be able to receive communications in the deep woods.

So far, I have wasted my money on motoral walkie talkies that say they can do 40km, but they're useless in the woods. Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what I can buy that will not break any FCC regulations, and that will work in the woods?

BTW: most of the time we are seperated by about 1KM of woods between hunters.

KC0QNB

Good day everyone,

I'm currently looking at purchasing some radio equipment off ebay, and was wondering if someone could provide guidance with regard to what to buy. My requirements are very simple: I'm a hunter and when I'm off on my hunting trips (mostly in ZECs) I need reliable radio that will be able to receive communications in the deep woods.

So far, I have wasted my money on motoral walkie talkies that say they can do 40km, but they're useless in the woods. Can anyone give me some recommendations as to what I can buy that will not break any FCC regulations, and that will work in the woods?

BTW: most of the time we are seperated by about 1KM of woods between hunters.
In heavily wooded areas, I think you find vhf high band will work the best, next to low band vhf here is the US we have a MURS area on high band, not sure of the frequencies but someone will pop up with the info, I am sure that IC has a similar program. I would look into that if I was you.

th3duke

In heavily wooded areas, I think you find vhf high band will work the best, next to low band vhf here is the US we have a MURS area on high band, not sure of the frequencies but someone will pop up with the info, I am sure that IC has a similar program. I would look into that if I was you.

Thank you very much for the information -- I see a lot of VHF ones for sale, but what's the best frequency to buy for my application?

DaveH

Thank you very much for the information -- I see a lot of VHF ones for sale, but what's the best frequency to buy for my application?

Bt the look of it (and unless someone can indicate differently) MURS in Canada has not
gone through at least yet. There are still hundreds of licensed fire, commercial, DND, and
other users on the MURS channels. I would avoid this route for now. You would be
contravening the law (which I hope still matters to the majority of people) and
potentially causing intereference.

It is true that VHF has less "foliage loss" than UHF, but you say your FRS/GMRS
can't do 1km? Sounds like you need to try some different radios. Just ignore those
40km claims. Even professional- quality radios with real antennas would not
manage that except under exceptional (non-typical) conditions.

There are a host of temptations from cheap used radios on eBay to marine
radios, most of which would be illegal and risk causing intereference to legit
users.

I'm still thinking about this situation and what you would be best able to
use.

Dave

th3duke

Bt the look of it (and unless someone can indicate differently) MURS in Canada has not
gone through at least yet. There are still hundreds of licensed fire, commercial, DND, and
other users on the MURS channels. I would avoid this route for now. You would be
contravening the law (which I hope still matters to the majority of people) and
potentially causing intereference.

It is true that VHF has less "foliage loss" than UHF, but you say your FRS/GMRS
can't do 1km? Sounds like you need to try some different radios. Just ignore those
40km claims. Even professional- quality radios with real antennas would not
manage that except under exceptional (non-typical) conditions.

There are a host of temptations from cheap used radios on eBay to marine
radios, most of which would be illegal and risk causing intereference to legit
users.

I'm still thinking about this situation and what you would be best able to
use.

Dave

Ty for your reply -- BTW: my FRS/GMRS Motorola's don't do 1KM in the woods -- most likely .25 of a KM at best (unless both of the hunters are on top of a mountain).

So far I have found a couple of units that interest me: a VHF called FDC 150A and a GE M-PA

Man I swear buying a radio is very confusing -- I wish there was a good site out there for education.

_jabber_

Best Site There IS

Ty for your reply -- BTW: my FRS/GMRS Motorola's don't do 1KM in the woods -- most likely .25 of a KM at best (unless both of the hunters are on top of a mountain).

So far I have found a couple of units that interest me: a VHF called FDC 150A and a GE M-PA

Man I swear buying a radio is very confusing -- I wish there was a good site out there for education.

You CAN'T find any better site then the one your on, be patient as someone on here ALWAYS has an answer ( or 2 or 3 lol )

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

You're looking for a cost effective solution to your problem. My suggestion is that you may be assuming that buying is the best soution, when renting may be the best.

In the environment you are working in you could use a repeater or a better radio. Since most moose hunting is done in relatively remote areas, repeaters are unlikely, so you're going to have to get a better radio, and they are not cheap.

Find a local 2-way radio shop, explain what you are doing, and ask to rent a couple of portable VHF radios. I used to do this all the time when I was in the LMR business. We used to have recurring customers for the various hunting seasons. It may be expensive vs. buying FRS, but it will actually work.

Victor

th3duke

Thank you -- you are exactly right. It is for Moose hunting, but it is also for communications within the Zec when we camp there. I'll look into renting; I think that's an excellent suggestion, however I would really like to own this gear if at all possible as we go into the woods at least 15 times a year...

By the way, I've contacted Ottawa Amateur Radio for a class; I'm starting to think spending the 250.00 bucks is a good investment. I had no idea what you could do with uhf/vhf radios, until I started researching it for my hunting/camping requirements. Hence, I may take this up as a hobby.

*BTW: I'm really starting to think the FD-150A's will be the right tool for my requirements -- plus they're cheap.

Thanks again for the reply -- appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.