north durham fire to fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardscott

anyone know anything on the progress of north durham fire depts moving to fleetnet? namely, uxbridge, brock and scugog? it should be happening anytime

ES

newtoscanning

Interesting. But I thought Fleetnet wasn't a good choice for portable coverage but rather better for mobile coverage

Your answer was rude, so as well mine will be: Have you ever heard of a fire truck and a mobile repeater?

Firefighters are never not near a vehicle (in Scugog anyway). This solution would work well for them, last time I knew they were using HF radios.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Your answer was rude, so as well mine will be: Have you ever heard of a fire truck and a mobile repeater?

Firefighters are never not near a vehicle (in Scugog anyway). This solution would work well for them, last time I knew they were using HF radios.

Actually Randy asked you a question and it wasn't at all rude. You need to chill out.

Randy is correct, Fleetnet is not designed for portable coverage. However, as we've seen in Guelph, extra sites can be added to give it portable coverage.

I'm not sure a mobile repeater is the answer though. I'm guessing that an onscene simplex channel will be used for communications while Fleetnet will be used for mobile operations.

And somehow I doubt they are using HF radios.

sirsmiley

Why is it that fleetnet/opp get such good coverage with their system? I know the towers are roughly 50km apart....i wonder what wattage they are..i assume 50 watts inside the cars, not sure what the towers are....i know a lot of systems you have deadspots and only say 10km range....

Last edited:

newtoscanning

Folks -- what is northern Durham fire using now for radios? Are they on the Durham trunked system?

as I said, last time I scanned Scugog fire (which is one of the departments in north durham) they were using VHF hi and lo. (I think low for dispatch, hi for ops)

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
From Toronto, I've heard the dispatch (albeit weakly) on 153.860. I can't receive the trunked system from here but my guess would be that they would be assigned one of the Durham trunked RTAC talkgroups on the scene.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
They are still using the vhf 153 channel and they do not use the trunk system as there were no transmitters installed in the north townships.

mrweather

Why is it that fleetnet/opp get such good coverage with their system? I know the towers are roughly 50km apart....i wonder what wattage they are..i assume 50 watts inside the cars, not sure what the towers are....i know a lot of systems you have deadspots and only say 10km range....
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the car radios are 45 watt Astro Spectas fed into a wideband VHF whip. The towers I imagine are similar wattage (or less) but obviously have the advantage of height. With such a set up I'm not surprised at all that they're getting such good mobile coverage.

For comparison in my car I use 45 watts into a halfwave VHF whip and I have no problems accessing my club's 2m repeater from anywhere in the GTA. And the repeater site itself isn't all that high.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The towers I imagine are similar wattage (or less) but obviously have the advantage of height.

Hard to say what the power output of the repeaters are but they're probably 125w Quantars.

I've got a Quantar on the 2m band and coverage is quite decent even though power is turned down to 30w.

mrweather

I've heard there are a couple of others (mixed mode I think) in the GTA. I need to get Astrosexy and try them out sometime.

edwardscott

Switch happening Friday

Brock/Scugog/Uxbridge Township fire are moving to Fleetnet this Friday (April 17) but will continue to use the 153.860 for paging. Unconfirmed that the (or one of) the IDs will be 33280. Most likely on the Sunderland Tower.

ES

EDIT - The King City Tower makes no sense, and the Pontypool is already in heavy use for Oshawa. Sunderland makes total sense, being central to Brock, Scugog and Uxbridge, and having less traffic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.