Scanning Halton region

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMP

I currently own a ICOM R5 and live in Acton,Ontario. I would like to be able to pick up Halton police/fire as the R5 does not support trunking and was wondering if the Uniden BC-246 would be a good choice in monitoring these services. I have heard that Halton region may be going digital in a few years and would like to know if there is any truth in this. If Halton does plan to go digital then perhaps the BC-246 may not be a good choice. I am curious if anyone would have any info regarding Halton regions plans on going digital.

Thanks

jellotor

The Icom R5 does not support trunking but the BC246T is as good a choice as any for analog trunking.

As far as whether the Halton region will end up with a digital radio system, well, maybe. Or not. Or yes. Maybe.

My opinion is that you should consider all of your personal variables (ie. budget, what you would like to listen to, etc) and purchase a scanner that fits your current needs. If all you want to listen to is HRPS and within three years they upgrade to a ProVoice system, for example, you've bought a digital scanner for no good reason.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I sold my 246 to the gentleman who responded to you. Like Jellotor said, as long as Halton doesnt upgrade and go pro-voice the 246 is as good as any scanner. If you have the $ I would rec'd a digital scanner to allow you to scan other systems because often enough the EMS or OPP go to the same calls.

Eric

P.S. Graeme: I figured out unitrunker and Andy's program and I am having a blast with it!

GMP

provoice

So what exactly is pro-voice?. Is this a digital comm that no scanner can currently monitor?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
It is a format that no scanner can monitor I think it is digital.

To date I have never heard any Halton site use it but that does not mean they havent.

jellotor

...which is not to say there's any plan that I'm aware of for a new radio system in Halton.

If you can get a good price on a used analog trunking scanner like the 246T, pick it up. That's my advice.

Eric, good to hear trunk88 is working for you. I'm thinking I'm going to have to haul out the K6s before the snow flies and get decoding again.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
...which is not to say there's any plan that I'm aware of for a new radio system in Halton.

If you can get a good price on a used analog trunking scanner like the 246T, pick it up. That's my advice.

Eric, good to hear trunk88 is working for you. I'm thinking I'm going to have to haul out the K6s before the snow flies and get decoding again.

Ya I am finding stuff left right and centre.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.